Adding a 3rd sub with a second amp, bad Idea?

Options
Closer
Closer Posts: 12
edited January 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've been working out the bugs out of my current setup, which I like. I'm running 2 mm840's off the pa 5000.5. Now the reason I'm not running larger, is the subs hide under my rear seat. I have the option of adding another 10" in my center console with a stealthbox. The box comes with a JL 10W3v3, would there be any real issues with running a setup like this with a 2nd amp? If I could get the box empty I would probably put a mm1040 in it.
Post edited by Closer on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2013
    Options
    It wont hurt anything but will take a little work tuning on it to get it to sound good cause it'll be pretty sloppy until you get it dialed in. It'll increase the output a good bit but honestly wont make a huge difference in overall sound quality. About the main place it'll help is in the real sub bass response like 31 Hz and so on. 8's will have a hard time at that low a frequency.

Bottom line is it would be kind of a waste. I would just get the center console sub and use it alone. That would sound better overall and have all your sub bass up front with you which is ideal.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TurboGTU
    TurboGTU Posts: 187
    edited January 2013
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Bottom line is it would be kind of a waste. I would just get the center console sub and use it alone. That would sound better overall and have all your sub bass up front with you which is ideal.

I agree, easier to tune plus you can skip an amp.
  • Closer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Thanks guys,
    Today I listened to co-workers cheap twelves, the output would be great once he wires it right. The difference was how dull they sounded, he listened to the 8's and liked how he could feel the sharpness (he actually seemed a little disappointed with his setup) . I want more output but like the sq side.I can't imagine that the single 10" would be that much better in output and I would have to lose some sq on top of it, it's down driven and covered up by the console vs the 8's which usually exposed to open air (unless someone needs to sit in the back then they're covered and sound muffled ). Problem like you said MacLeod, the low frequencies work the subs really hard for little output. I'm imagining the 10" handling more of the low's and the 8's the taking over the 35+ range.
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2013
    Options
    If youre wanting more output youll need more power and more cone area.

What car are you driving? Depending on how much youre wanting to spend on this, you could have a lot better options like a pair of 10's or single 12 with a dedicated sub amp in the 500+ watt range. Im running my dual MM1040's with 500 watts from my RF 5 channel and its fine. Its not a ton of output but its still adequate. You may need something in the 1000 watt range. You can still have plenty of output and great sound quality. Its a little more expensive to get that but its still easily doable.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Closer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    It's a 06 tundra access cab, not a lot room. Right now the 2 8's are in a qlogic box it replaces a storage compartment under the rear passenger seat. Without running them in boxes between the front and rear seats I'm kinda out of ideas.
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Hmmm. That does kinda limit things cause you dont have a whole lot of space to work with under there. I had the same problem with my old Dodge Ram quad cab. You may have to build your own boxes. Instead of 2 8's, you could build a low profile box to house a big **** 10 or even a shallow mount 12.

• Closer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Yeah no room behind the rear seat (would have to be on the floor). I have heard someone talk about spacing a couple 8" sundowns in my box but it didn't seem like a great idea to me (nothing can fit under the rear seats either, I have to pull the carpet up to see if 2 more 8's is even a option on the drivers). I've been running a few ideas through my head to improve what I have, I thought about adding more polyfill inside the box (the box is pretty small and the motors take up some room). I think I need a battery upgrade to, with the truck running they manage to flicker my dome light. I think this may have something to do with the issues I've been having. There is one other thing I was thinking about, seeing if I could possibly fit 2 8's in the rear doors. The depth wouldn't be a issue but the door panels may not go back on, plus the million rattles it would cause without serious amount of work. I could modify the box for a single ten like a mm1040, though I don't think a single 1040 would beat the 2 8's the area is still a greater than the single 10 plus power handling is lower for a single 10" .
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2013
    Options
    8's in the doors can work but it would take a LOT of work to get them too. For one, clearance would be a big issue and youd have to cut out the door trim panel for them to stick thru enough to clear the windows. And youd have to REALLY beef up the door panel in order to make it sturdy enough to handle a 8" sub. I dont think thats a good idea. Its great for show cars, but not for real world use.

Money no object, a custom center console with a bad **** 12 in there getting 750+ watts would do the trick but that could get costly as fiberglass work aint cheap unless you can do it yourself.

I think the best thing you can do is to study the area under the rear seat and see how much room you can come up with and what kind of box you can build. A big solid 10 with a dedicated sub amp would do a very nice job. Im not familiar with what it looks like under the seats of your truck but if youve got room for a pair of 8's, there should be enough room for a single 10 if you get creative.