Wireing information for US Amps

MrDHEJ
MrDHEJ Posts: 137
edited December 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I looked on US Amps web site and they do not list what guage of wire to use to on there 1000, 600, 4360, or 400 amps.

In the truck i will be running the 1000, 600, and 400 amps, so i perty much asumed i need 0 guage running back to the amps and use a distubution block to feed the monsters. but what guage do these amps need from the block?

In the car i'll be running the 1000 and 4360. is 4 guage enough for these 2? or should i just play it safe and use 0 guage to the back.
Post edited by MrDHEJ on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2003
    I would think 4 gauge would be fine from the dist block. A lot of amps wont accept wire bigger than 4 anyway. As long as youre using good quality 1/0 gauge wire from the battery then 4 to the amps I think thats ok.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited December 2003
    i'd run 1/0 to a distro block on each of them and in the truck you'll need two bats...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MrDHEJ
    edited December 2003
    why would i need to have 2 batteris in the truck? Because of 3 amps?
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2003
    how many RMS watts will you be pulling?
    and what kind of car do you have?
    3 amplifiers could cause a pretty big power loss
    -Cody
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MrDHEJ
    edited December 2003
    1999 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab

between the 3 amps at peak, 2000watts

GM makes an auxilery battery mount for my truck, so i can throw in another Optima yellow top no problem.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    well youll be using the USamps 1000, which is rated at 500watts
    are you using the 600(rated at 75x2) or the 600x(150x2)
    and are you using the 400(50x2) or the 400x(100x2)
    im guessing youre going to use the 600x for the mm6 and the 400 for the 4x6s
    taking that into consideration
    youll have 900 watts RMS
    these are all class AB amplifiers
    you wont need another battery
    if i were you, id go to www.knukonceptz.com to get your power wire
    im guestimating 30ft of 1/0awg
    25ft of 4awg
    and a 1.0 farad capacitor
    run your 1/0awg from the battery with a fuse within 18" of the battery(not sure how big though) through where your firewall where your steering column goes through, under the carpet, to the cap
    from the cap, get a regular in-line fuse holder with a 135A fuse on 4awg power wire
    run that to the 1000
    also running from the cap, another 4awg wire going to a fused distro block
    one will have a 75amp fuse
    the other will have a 50amp fuse
    run 4awg out with the 75amp fuse going to the 600x, the 50 amp fuse going to the 400
    then youll have one more distribution block(unfused)
    it needs to accept 1 1/0awg and 3 4awg
    run the ground from all 3 amps to this block using 4awg
    then run 1/0awg and screw it down(dont forget to scrape off any paint to make a good ground)
    you could also screw the ground from the cap(also 1/0awg) in the same spot
    currently i have the exact same wiring configuration
    youll also want a fuse relay if youre running 3 amps
    its not totally necessary, but it could save you a lot of time/money in the future, and its only about $5 and its very simple
    INSTRUCTIONS:
    run 20 gauge to a SPST (single pole single throw) relay's #85 pin.

run pin #86 to ground.

pin #87 goes to 12 volt power (off the caps or off one of the power lines -- 16 gauge wire - speaker wire is fine).

pin #30 goes to all your **** - amps, caps, whatever u want to turn on.

I think a 10 amp relay would be fine, but just try going to radio-**** and getting a 10 amp relay - the only ones you'll find are spdt PC board ones that are like the size of a quarter... unless you're the "hey cool i get to solder!" type, then you're not gonna want that. the only basic relays radio shack has is a SPST Automotive 30 Amp relay -- i duno the item number, but that's the item name. its 5 bucks... which is highway robbery, but again, unless you're buying **** online, radioshack is about the only place u can turn to - and they charge high.

but that relay with some female spade clips will hook up in like 2 seconds. and its got a screw hole so you can actually screw it down to your back wall if y ou want.
    -courtesy of poweredbydodge, i had the same problem, and this is what he told me to do
    if you need anything else just ask
    also, go to www.mitekfactoryoutlet.com and look at their streetwires rca's, and id go with monster wire for speaker wire
    -Cody