Newbie question: help with overall stereo design

aschueler
aschueler Posts: 2
edited December 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I scanned the board quickly, as well as checking out some google searches, and wasn't finding what I wanted to know. This is probably gonna be fairly basic, but you may have fun with it.

Some background: I currently own a 2003 Toyota Tundra, with extended cab (read: lots of room). It has stock speakers and stereo, which I am beginning to loathe. My previous vehicle was an Acura RSX-S, which had a stock Bose speaker setup with subwoofer, and produced nice clean music. It also spoiled me, I believe.

Here is what I want: in under $500 (can adjust if really not realistic), I want a speaker setup that can give me nice, clean music at regular to loud volumes. I do not want 'booming' type bass. The music I listen to ranges from classical to jazz to punk, and damn near everything between. So I need as much range as possible.

Ideas I need are what speaker system? I see speaker systems with tweeters and midrange speakers (I have pre-installed 6.5" (I think) midrange speakers with tweeters, a pair of each), and these systems I have seen have units that figure out cross over points. However, I want to add an amplifier and a subwoofer for deep bass.

Would I screw up the pre-arranged systems' programming that don't have a subwoofer with them, if I add one?

Items I am interested in (very open to suggestions):

At least two tweeters & midrange speakers, a new deck (CD changer not so important, LCD not at all important, good sound is crucial), an amplifier, and subwoofer that puts out reasonable but not necessarily stunning bass.

I plan on getting most if not all of it via www.pricegrabber.com as this is the cheapest website I have run across.

Any ideas are highly, highly appreciated. If I need to clarify anything let me know.

Thanks.
Post edited by aschueler on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited November 2003
    what size speakers do you have in the back?
    -Cody
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2003
    The guide says the new Toyota Tundra comes with 6 3/4" speakers. I am sure 6 1/2-3/4 width would work, but their are more car audio savvy individuals to follow with comments.

Start your search in the 6 1/2" bracket. If you want bass, you said it, you need a subwoofer.

I am sorry that you had to offend your ears with that Bose system. :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2003
    $500 is gonna be a little hard to hit. About the cheapest I could come up with and still be decent quality would be at Circuit City (my home away from homes!)

Polk DB 6 1/2 coaxials---$100 a pair (momos are $170)
    Alpine 9803 CD player w/2 outs----$180
    Alpine 40x4 amp----$200 (run the 4 speakers off the front 2 channels and the sub off the rear running mono)

The sticky part is the sub. You can either buy a premade box to fit under your rear seat for $250+ or you can build your own. Either way its a pain. You woluld only be running 140 watts to your sub with this amp so an 8 would be all fine for a little added backbone especially in the little cab (I run an 8 myself in a Ram Quad Cab and think its plenty). MTX or Rockford Fosgate make an 8 for $80. JL Audio makes one but its $130. The JL would sound better.

Like I said, this is just a suggestion I threw together to give you an idea. This is about as budget as I could come up with and still have a decent sound. Im sure some of the other guys will have some good ideas too. Although its gonna be hard to get anything much less than $900 - 1000 for a complete system with a sub.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    Crutchfield says you have 6 3/4" speakers front and rear
    for front:
    Db 6 3/4" Component system
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/POLDB6750
    $220
    for the rear:
    Db 6 3/4" Coaxials
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/POLDB675
    $110
    Hifonics ZX 8000
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13118
    $245
    Polk/MOMO 8" sub
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/POLMM2084
    $90
    http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=3375
    http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=3375
    $182
    $847 not including wiring
    you can add another $50-$75 for wiring
    plus a box for the sub
    -Cody
  • aschueler
    aschueler Posts: 2
    edited December 2003
    If there are speakers in back I haven't seen them....maybe I am missing them, but I only see the set in front...will look a little closer tomorrow. I admit I haven't looked too closely, just know I don't dig what I have.

Someone at work suggested bazooka --> any opinions?

He also mentioned the importance of a good amplifier if I bother to get good speakers.

I guess I need to adjust my cost estimate upwards a bit eh? New goal is excellent sound quality at $800, and something I can install myself. I have some ability to do such a thing, as long as I can figure out the wiring colors.
  • Systems
    edited December 2003
    Bazooka makes a little tube with a 6 1/2 woofer in it. It is ok for a little bit of bass but it is more suitable to put in your wifes car. I doubt youd be happy with it.

If you have any carpentry skills you should build your own box. MTX.com has all the info youll need to build a quality box. That way you can build something that fits under your seat perfectly for about $25 in materials.

I know the guys are gonna rip me a new one on this but, Id rather skimp on the amp than the speakers. Virtually all brand name ams (Alpine, Coustic, Hifonics, Kenwood, Profile, etc) are going to give you a nice clean signal. It wont be super accurate or powerful as a high end amp would but will still be clean and stout. Speakers however differ in their consturction from model to model and can sound quite different. For instance, the momo 6x9 sounds a lot better than the db and only costs $50 more. In contrast, a $250 Coustic 4 channel wont sound that much worse than Xtants $900 4 channel and almost as good as their $550 4 channel. Plus Id be willing to bet that the average Joe Sixpack wouldnt be able to tell the difference anyway.

Go to Circuit City and listen to a bunch of amps thru one set of speakers. Not much change other than volume. Now listen to one amp thru a bunch of different speakers. Each one has a much different sound.

Id rather have a $1200 set of Focal Utopias and a $200 Alpine 4 channel than a $900 Xtant 4 channel and a $150 set of DB coaxials.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited December 2003
    Well, when he means dont skimp out on an amp, dont buy a total crap amp like Sony or something like that
    any midgrade amp line will be great
    rockford, hifonics, polk, alpine...etc
    but if you buy a pair of mm6s, run then off a sony amp, its going to sound like crap
    -Cody
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited December 2003
    Right! You go out and buy a Kraco amp at Auto Zone and I dont care what kind of speakers you get its gonna suck. I just meant that if youre gonna spend a little extra on something then it should be your speakers. This only applies when youre on a tight budget. If youve got the cash, then of course its better to get the best of everything.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing