Velodyne CHT-12?

Options
michael_w
michael_w Posts: 2,813
edited December 2003 in Speakers
Hey just wondering if there is a better sub for the money of a cht-12. At future shop its about $750 (canadian). Let me know if you find a better sub for the money.
Post edited by michael_w on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Michael,

Hsu subwoofers has just released the STF-2. It is available direct from Hsu for $399 US dollars. This sub is like the VTF-2 in maximum extension mode. Shipping is currently $25 to the US. I ordered mine before 11-24 when they had free shipping. They are currently on backorder though until 12-4.

A lot of folks here also own SVS subs which is also a great sub. You are going to pay about $200 more for one just to get into an entry level SVS sub.

Here is the link to Hsu. Read the reviews.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I agree, HSU or SVS would be the best way to go. With either sub you can get some wonderful sounds for 5-600 USD.

Which one is better, we aren't going to get into that here. Just know they are both great subs and both will make you smile or wet yourself, take your pick.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited November 2003
    Options
    The Adire Audio Rava is way better for less money. Check out www.creativesound.ca , it is more on par with the Velo HGS series. If you dont want to order over the net then audition some Paradigm subs.
    Graham
  • michael_w
    edited November 2003
    Options
    so whats so different between the vtf-2 and the stf-2? because I read the reviews on the vtf-2 and it sounds pretty sweet. im guessing that the vtf is just the big brother to the stf?
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited November 2003
    Options
    The STF means "single tuned frequency" as opposed to VTF "variable tuned frequency". This means that the STF will have a fixed port tuning at 25 hz and is not user adjustable. The VTF-2 can be adjusted by the user for maximum extension (deeper bass) or maximum output (loudness).

The STF-2 is like the VTF-2 in maximum extension mode. This will give the sub the deepest bass performance but will not yield the highest loudness (spls) like a VTF when tuned at 32 hz.

You may find this thread interesting to read:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=215
  • michael_w
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Ok great that really clears some things up. Now I know that the VTF-2 is the way to go (if I can manage to get the cash lol). O yeah one more question. Are HSU subs sold anywhere but on the web because I'd prefer to listen to one before I drop 500 us on a speaker i've never listened to.
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Nope HSU are only sold via the web site. Best way to try and demo one would be to find someone that has one close to where you live. You might post a message on AVSforum.com or hometheaterspot.com looking for people that will let you demo theirs.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • theear707
    theear707 Posts: 12
    edited December 2003
    Options
    The CHT line from Velodyne is limited on true deep bass,even the CHT15 starts to fall like a rock at 30Hz.

The best deals would be from HSU(the VTF2) and SVS(powered CS with the ISD).

A VTF2 trounces the CHT12 with ease down low.
    Dynaudio Contour main system,Klipsch RF HT system and PolkAudio PSW404/505 subs and RTi speakers used with main PC.Some Totem speakers too...and much more
  • michael_w
    edited December 2003
    Options
    fgr41

damn thats too bad. I guess i'll have to ask around for people that live here and own one. thanks for the reply.
  • michael_w
    edited December 2003
    Options
    theear707 -

ok I'm really going to hear an HSU to really appreciate it then because I tried the cht-10 and it was beautiful lol (although the damn guy at future shop wasn't showing me what it could really do). And I think the the svs's are going to be slightly out of my price range. :D