Krell KSL Pre Amp / Phono Board Recap

Options
SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
edited January 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
My recent DIY DAC was designed for balanced out and already having balanced active crossover/amps I wanted a balanced pre to connect it all up. Ed (Savinon) has been trying to get me Krell-ed for quite some time so I got this old KSL from him complete with KSL phono board.

We are reaching back 23 years with this old Class A design. The pre sounded good, was quiet, but it had some phono stage noise issues on the left channel only with the phono board set to high gain MC. The phono board is a Fairchild J309 jfet N channel RF amplifier / MPS8599 PNP /MPS8099 NPN transistor design. I had feared the worst (bad jfet or transistor) but it just turned out to be a bias issue. Once the phono board was re-biased all was well.

There are different recap camps. Some say only the caps that are bad, many have been telling me get rid of them 23 year old caps right now. OEM caps were Sprague and Rhode. No idea what happened to Rhode, but Vishay bought Sprague and they are just a Tantalum division now so matching brands was out. In circuit testing is not 100% reliable so I pulled some caps to test and found them all over the place. Some were worse than their 20% spec, some were closer. I just decided to recap the entire power, main and phono board to be safe.

Fred was a big help (as usual, thanks Fred!) and had me go with United Chemi-Con caps. That name isn't bandied about but after some research I learnt they are a well respected cap. I used all 105C caps, UCC 1000uf KME's for the main board, UCC KMH for the 4700uf power supply and four extra long life 470uf UCC LXY's for the hot spot between the sinks.

On the phono board I used 105C Vishay AML 138 series. Fred also surprised me with some long OOP 1% NOS Siemens Styroflex polystyrenes to replace the four .033uf poly caps. These are either part of the RIAA filter or some signal path thing. (No schematic available, only $125 an hour for Krell service). I have two Philips .0016uf polystrenes on the way. Word is Siemens and Phillips were the best polystrenes made.

After washing the boards with a 99% isopropyl alky wash and reassembly, I found it survived surgery and is good for another 20 years.
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
Post edited by SCompRacer on

Comments

• TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Nice work! I'd love to listen to it w/ your vinyl rig playing. Your DIY is always inspiring, keep it up.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• michael1947
    michael1947 Posts: 775
    edited January 2013
    Options
    That is such a beautiful job! You are so fortunate that you have the talent to upgrade and repair your gear.
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Beauty job as usual ,it's a perfect spot for those styrenes, glad they found a good home.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Well done Rich. I'll let my ears be the final judge. :wink:
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Thanks very much for the kind words. This stuff ain't that hard once you learn how to solder/desolder. If it don't work upon reassembly I just send it to Fred. He can fix anything!:cheesygrin:

agfrost wrote: »
    Well done Rich. I'll let my ears be the final judge. :wink:

Kewl! Looking forward to your opinion.

My 1TB music drive puked 5 days out of warranty so I stuck a spare in. Thank goodness I had it backed up or we'd be having to do digital the old way.:eek:
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • FTGV
    edited January 2013
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    He can fix anything!:cheesygrin:
    I wish,there are a couple of pieces in my basement that disprove that.

My 1TB music drive puked 5 days out of warranty so I stuck a spare in. Thank goodness I had it backed up or we'd be having to do digital the old way.:eek:
    Ouch only 5 days that sux..
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I want it back!
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Great work as usual. I hope it serves your purpose well.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Nice work Rich,, atta'boy Fred!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    ESavinon wrote: »
    I want it back!

Sure! I'll trade you for that Krell KRC-HR.:eek::cheesygrin:

ESavinon wrote: »
    Great work as usual. I hope it serves your purpose well.

Thanks Ed. After the tune up it sounds really good. Adjusting the bias did the trick with the phono stage. It should have occured to me sooner (before removing and testing the 22 jfets/transistors on the left channel:redface:) as the right channel bias voltage was different every time I checked it, usually after I adjusted the left channel to match. A schematic would have helped as Fred would have read it and said go here and check this and that.:wink:

The folks smarter than me tell me that a different bias on each channel (-.569 versus -.612) is not a big deal as they doubt Krell matched jfets/transistors exactly between the R and L channels; only components on each channel would be closely matched. After turning the bias pots a couple of turns either way while off, bias adjusts smoothly and have been holding steady. Before there was too much - bias voltage on the left channel which caused the MC hum and gain issues. The jfet/transistor that are biased by the pot set voltages on other transistors. They was juiced up too high, causing the hum and excess DC on left channel output.

I have even more deeper and articulate bass. Extended highs as some folks felt the ModWright rolled them off (could have been the tube CD player used at the time). Digital with my new DAC is closest to analog sounding as I have ever heard. The pre just gets out of the way and does not color the DAC. The vinyl, incredibly dynamic. I never had vinyl bass like this before. Most likely all due to the combination jfet/transistor design (I've had balanced jfet gear here before). Could be my speakers, but the pre does not sound strident, or analytical, at all. I had asked Jay over as I have been heavily invested in time and effort with this pre and the DAC; I wanted some verification that I was hearing correctly. I am now tubeless in my two channel.

Nice work Rich,, atta'boy Fred!

Thanks George! Good to hear from you! Fred is # 1!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Man you IL boys are just close enough to tempt me to drive out there to see/listen to your gear sometime lol.....

That or be able to buy it when you move on and save on shipping hehehe.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Very nice work!
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Wow, great work. My head spins just looking at those pics!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Edit. Whoops...double post. Well deserved double post though!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I can attest to how good Rich's system is currently sounding; this revived Krell has certainly brought his analog rig up another notch or two (and it was pretty damn nice where it had been before). I'm happy that he was able to diagnose and fix the electronic mischief the MC phono section had been making, it's really singing now!

Then the Krell's balanced design allows the DAC he built to perform at its best. He set out to make a no-compromise run at bringing his digital as close to his analog as possible and has come admirably close--in spite of the fact that his analog has improved with the Krell as well. Nothing about his digital screams digital at this point.

Thanks as always for your hospitality and the good tunes, Rich. It's a treat to sit in the sweet spot at your place and to shoot the breeze as well.

Jay
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Hey Rich, nice job!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SCompRacer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words! Jay, you are welcome anytime! Thanks for lending your ears....:cheesygrin: Ender, come on out!

I needed two .0016uf Styroflex caps to totally recap the phono board and compliment the four Fred had supplied. A fellow in the Netherlands had a bunch of Phillips 1% Styroflex polystrenes on ebay and had the values I needed. He was kind enough to check they were as stamped (these Styroflex are spot on!) and I found them to be exact. Now its done and I can put the screws back in the cover.

The two little silver jobs near the top, middle board between first row of resistors.
    close_2_zps25002355.jpg
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited January 2013
    Options
    You should update those resistors next. :lol: :eek:

LOL

Beautiful work man. I have done recaps on some much less elaborate boards but even so, I can appreciate the amount of work you put in there.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

LOL

You mean them things that look like the back side of bees? I already tried making the round things with flat sides face the same way and that didn't go well.:eek::cheesygrin:
  • FTGV
    edited January 2013
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

LOL
    Yup,time to man up Rich and replace the Dale's with some nice Caddock or Vishay bulk film resistors.:wink:
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Vishay Z Foil resistors.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Vishay Z Foil resistors.

Yep. Without a doubt.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Another challenge! The six Dale's are probably the only ones doing the work, the rest for show.:rolleyes::cheesygrin: I dunno, the phono board already has a high FW, er, mess with factor. It is at a point where the audio gods start spinning the wheel of chance, heavily populated with doom.:cheesygrin:

Hmmmmm .... z foils.... .01-.005% tolerance? That's tight.:exclaim:

This is how/when I figured out what was wrong with it. Left channel hum/buzz when set to MC. High DC in left channel output. This poor board has so many stab marks in the solder from the sharp pointy probes.....

phono_1.jpg
  • headrott
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Hmmmmm .... z foils.... .01-.005% tolerance? That's tight.:exclaim:

They sound "tight" too! I have them in my DAC. Just the .01% as I needed 6 of them and the price of the .005% would add up way too much.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    They sound "tight" too! I have them in my DAC. Just the .01% as I needed 6 of them and the price of the .005% would add up way too much.

I've got two Legato's...that would get pricey....:eek:
  • FTGV
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Well in that case while only 1% the the MK132 Caddock's are a better sonic bargain.:smile:YMMV
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    If we're only talking six.....I'd splurge.:cheesygrin: Wish I could get a schematic so you could read it.:twisted::cheesygrin: Someone at diy thought it odd to see 8 jfets at the input side....I dunno but it works pretty good. The other four jftes are two per side at the edge by the bias pots.The two inner pots are to null any DC.

I called it a multilayer board but somene at diy said it was just double sided. But I can see traces with a strong backlight through the fiberglass that are not on either side of the board. There is no mask covering traces, and there is a seam on side of board. I guess it could be a sandwich of double sided boards, thus multilayer. Anyway that makes it hard to follow the circuit path.
  • headrott
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I've got two Legato's...that would get pricey....:eek:

Complainer.:razz:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• SCompRacer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    Complainer.:razz:

I'm a wino.....I mean whiner.:cheesygrin:
  • danielsu
    Options
    Hi, I am new to the forum. I have a Krell KSL pre.
    Where can I buy the caps you installed in your Krell?

Thanks