New DVD format approved

Options
SPEAKER7
SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
edited December 2003 in Music & Movies
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20031128.gtdvdnov28/BNStory/Technology/

BREAKING NEWS
POSTED AT 9:01 AM EST Friday, Nov. 28, 2003

Tech Home | e-insider | Reviews | @Play | Today's Paper | Investor

New DVD format approved

Associated Press

TOKYO — Toshiba Corp. and NEC Corp. said Friday that the DVD Forum, an international association of electronics makers and movie studios, has approved the two Japanese companies' standard for next-generation DVDs.

The move gives Toshiba and NEC a leg up on a rival standard based on the Blu-ray disc format, which has a larger recording capacity, advocated by Sony Corp., Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., which makes the Panasonic brand, and Philips Electronics NV of the Netherlands.

But the approval does not rule out development of Blu-ray disc products. Sony, Panasonic and Philips are also members of the DVD Forum.

Next-generation DVDs will be able to record five times the amount of information of current DVDs. A DVD today can record about two hours of conventional analogue TV programming while the next-generation digital video disc format can record more than two hours of digital TV programming (which is of much higher quality, creating significantly larger file sizes). The Blu-ray format discs can handle more than three hours of digital programming.

Toshiba and NEC say their format, called HD DVD, can be priced lower at about 300,000 yen ($2,700 U.S.), or about 20 per cent cheaper than a comparable Blu-ray model because the assembly lines for current DVDs can be adapted to make the next-generation discs. That cannot be done for Blu-ray discs.

A DVD Forum official said both companies aren't ready to sell their products on the market yet.

The approval only covers "read-only" DVD players. The DVD Forum official, who requested anonymity, said the companies will need similar approval for "rewritable" DVD recorders, a step the companies say they hope to get soon.

Both companies said they plan to design products with the new technology while carefully examining the availability of movies and other entertainment content.

NEC plans to launch new models of personal computers with the technology in the fall of 2005. Toshiba also said it may sell notebook computers with HD DVD drives in the future, and plans to start marketing an HD DVD recorder some time next year.

:D
Post edited by SPEAKER7 on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I WAS real excited about HD DVD a couple years ago but now I have like 350 dvds and I do not see this HD format *storming the business for a long time. *(basicly replacing standard DVD)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the link Speaker7.

Scott - I'm not going to sweat it either, DVD is firmly entrenched here.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I don't think it was mentioned in the article, but backwards compatability was surely an issue here. Imagine how receptive the public would be if all of a sudden their DVD collections become obsolete.

John
    No excuses!
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited December 2003
    Options
    They'll be very receptive if the picture quality puts to shame the quality of DVD's. Which a 1080i picture does. But at $2700, there won't be many takers. The HD digital tape guys will win this one easy.