Digital Newbie - Need Help

Options
Denon Frank
Denon Frank Posts: 130
edited January 2013 in Going Digital
I'm trying to get a hold on this newer format and haven't found an answer anywhere. My question is my Oppo 83SE player has a USB port. Could I download FLAC files from HD Tracks to my computer, copy that to a thumb drive, and plug that into the Oppo and maintain the high quality? Or do I need some other gear to make this work. My computer and stereo equipment are in different rooms. I currently don't have wi-fi.

Thanks for the help!
Frank

Polk LSiM 703 mains on Skylan Stands
Polk LSiM 704c center
Polk FX500i surrounds
Parasound 5250 Amp
Oppo BDP-105 :smile:
SVS PC Ultra tuned to 16hz
Panasonic 65" Viera Plasma
Post edited by Denon Frank on

Comments

• bthogan
    bthogan Posts: 151
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I took a look at the Oppo 83SE manual, and it looks like you can listen to audio files through the USB input. The manual doesn't specify which types of files it'll play, so you may have to experiment. It says it will only play from "USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport", but that this includes "[m]ost USB thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and card readers". Probably won't work from an ipod or other Apple device; it seems like manufacturers have to get a license from Apple to do this, and I don't see any "ipod-ready" notices. I could be wrong, though.

As for whether or not it'll play HD files with HD sound quality, I'm not sure, but I think it will. It's got a very good DAC, that I'm certain can decode 24bit/192khz audio files (sorry, didn't look too closely at specs).

Anyway, you should be able to play from a thumb drive or other external drive via USB, and you should be able to get HD-quality sound, but you may have to experiment a bit with data sources (drives) and file types. I have a cd player that has a USB input, and I love it. I rip into lossless formats (usually ALAC); it sounds great, and it's very convenient - I can leave those damn cds in their cases.

Here's the manual; start at p. 40.

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP83/BDP-83_English_Manual.pdf

Good luck!
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Here is a 2010 thread at audiogon I recalled about the 83SE.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1264623712
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Denon Frank
    Denon Frank Posts: 130
    edited January 2013
    Options
    bthogan wrote: »
    I took a look at the Oppo 83SE manual, and it looks like you can listen to audio files through the USB input. The manual doesn't specify which types of files it'll play, so you may have to experiment. It says it will only play from "USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport", but that this includes "[m]ost USB thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and card readers". Probably won't work from an ipod or other Apple device; it seems like manufacturers have to get a license from Apple to do this, and I don't see any "ipod-ready" notices. I could be wrong, though.

As for whether or not it'll play HD files with HD sound quality, I'm not sure, but I think it will. It's got a very good DAC, that I'm certain can decode 24bit/192khz audio files (sorry, didn't look too closely at specs).

Anyway, you should be able to play from a thumb drive or other external drive via USB, and you should be able to get HD-quality sound, but you may have to experiment a bit with data sources (drives) and file types. I have a cd player that has a USB input, and I love it. I rip into lossless formats (usually ALAC); it sounds great, and it's very convenient - I can leave those damn cds in their cases.

Here's the manual; start at p. 40.

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP83/BDP-83_English_Manual.pdf

Good luck!
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Here is a 2010 thread at audiogon I recalled about the 83SE.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1264623712

Thanks for the help. Looks like I have the wagon ahead of the horses though. I'm having trouble downloading my first music file from HDTracks. Was on the phone for 2 hours with AOL and couldn't resolve. I might be switching internet providers soon. Again, thanks for the replies.
    Frank

Polk LSiM 703 mains on Skylan Stands
    Polk LSiM 704c center
    Polk FX500i surrounds
    Parasound 5250 Amp
    Oppo BDP-105 :smile:
    SVS PC Ultra tuned to 16hz
    Panasonic 65" Viera Plasma