Long Time

deronb1
deronb1 Posts: 5,021
edited January 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
It's been many years since I messed around with car audio. Just bought the lease out on my car, so I thought I would upgrade the stock speakers. I am going to keep the stock CD/radio and amp. Any suggestions on a speaker upgrade? 2010 Civic.
Post edited by deronb1 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2013
    How much you want to spend? Cant go wrong with Polk's MM6501 component set.

Another excellent set would be the ScanSpeak Discovery set for $450.

Now its also going to depend on how much work youre willing to put into this. The stock openings for the speakers are tiny and if you want to use 6's, youre going to have to use spacers and cut some sheet metal. This isnt a huge deal but can be a pain in the balls and take a good bit of time. You can use http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SAHC634/Speaker-Mounting-Brackets.html?tp=919these adapters for $10 but word is they dont secure good and snug up against the sheet metal so you might have to get creative with a drill and get them to tighten up better. Shouldnt be that big a problem and be easier than cutting sheet metal.

Either way, Honda has ensured that nothing will be a simple drop in installation (I know, Ive owned 2 Accords) but after you get done with the hard work, youll be glad you did.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the info. Want to keep it as simple as possible. Some places offer free or discounted installation with a purchase. Just thinking I will need efficient speakers as I am sure the stock amp in the Civic isn't too powerful.
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,842
    edited January 2013
    crutch has some MM components on close out, not sure which,
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,121
    edited January 2013
    I installed the 6501s slim version in my sonata. Got em from crutchfield, buy one pair get one half off. Came with everything u need to install. I managed to mess something up and had a local shop fix it. They said they would have done the install for 60 which in hindsight I would've done. I am using everything else stock.and the sound improvement is very clear. Better bass, warmer sound overall, much better clarity. The stock speaks were plastic and foam! I swear I couldn't find a magnet. Anyway for 150 shipped and some sweat it was an awesome improvement.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2013
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Want to keep it as simple as possible. Some places offer free or discounted installation with a purchase. Just thinking I will need efficient speakers as I am sure the stock amp in the Civic isn't too powerful.

If youre wanting really simple then that might be the way to go. Find a shop thatll install them for free with purchase and let them deal with the headaches.

As for efficiency, dont worry too much about it. Unless youre trying to power a 10" sub off your stock HU, itll be ok.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D