Would a set of MM6's be ok to use in the back in a Maxima?

MrDHEJ
MrDHEJ Posts: 137
edited November 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I havn't done allot of study on what speakers go where, but is it ok to put full range componants in the rear deck of a car?
Post edited by MrDHEJ on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2003
    If you're considering putting mm6's in the rear, i'd have to say that it's not the best idea. components, especially higher-powered ones, will pull the soundstage back towards the rear of the car. now, if you've got crazy-powerful speakers up front, go for it; however, i'd reccommend a set of coax's that are about 1/2 to 2/3 the power of your front speakers. they'll provide rear fill without moving the soundstage much. it's out of my area if you've got mobile video, so you might want to get a second opinion in that case (hell, you should get a second opinion anyways).
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    well its not the power of the speaker .. its the power you put to them.

he can put the momo components in back, but why spend the money is what i ask...

i will assume he has momo components up front as well.... just for the sake of assuming he's got somewhat of a good idea what he's doing....

so... momo comps in front off lets say 100 to 150 watts...

now you've got the back.. he can get momo coaxials - or whatever coaxials... and regardless of their power rating, he should - like you said - put maybe 1/3 to 1/2 or something in that range of power on them in relation to the fronts.

the same goes for the momo components... he can put them back there, and they'll sound fabulous.... but to maintain the integrity of front to rear balance he shouldn't put too much power on them. maybe 50 to 75 watts if he's got 100 to 150 in front.

now if you think that putting 50 watts on a momo component set is a waste of a good speaker, then go with coaxials which are cheaper -- but if u have them laying around or you dont care about money or you just want the absolute best car you can possibly do and you're a real stickler for details and **** -- then do it man... it's just money -- and that's your call.

however... were it me -- i'd be doin coax -- cheaper -- wont be much if any difference in sound.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited November 2003
    I have the woofers from my MM6 comp set in the rear deck of my saturn and the tweeters mounted in the A-frames in the front, gives me a good soundstage (i prefer it to be right around my head instead of way up in the windshield) and great response :D i can feel the bass no prob, and i only have 60w to them till i can get together 500 bucks for the US tube amp... then it'll be 150
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MrDHEJ
    edited November 2003
    Well, this is what i was thinking about doing.

I've got the MM6's for the front, but havn't gotton anything for the back yet. I was going to put the MM6's in back without the tweeters, and set the gain lower for the back, or use the decks fader to tone them down.

As far as the amp, i was thinking about using the US Amps tubed TU-4360 4ch 75x4 at 4ohm.

Since i havn't ordered them yet maybe the MMC650's would be better for the back. I don't mind doing this as long as the SQ is going to be in par with the MM6's.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited November 2003
    unless you want all momo speakers, you could go with focal, they have lower rms ratings than the mm6s
    -Cody
  • MrDHEJ
    edited November 2003
    They don't have to be MOMO, but i want to stick with Polk speakers. I just didn't know if the MM6's would be overkill. I'll probably use the MMC650's or the 650 gx coaxials.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    eh - if you've got the bling bling money -- go with the damn momo components -- if dollars are not a problem at all.

if u have any concern for the buck go for the coax - wont make much of a difference, but if u're really anal you'll prolly notice it.

that's not a knock - its just me tryin to tell u as best i can the difference u may or may not see.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MrDHEJ
    edited November 2003
    In the Maxima I went for the MOMO MMC650 coax's for the rear, and the MM6's for the front. Should have those installed this week. No amps right now, i want to compare what they sound like un-ampd and ampd.

No sub yet either, but that will be before the amp for the interiors speakers.