Headphone amp / dac , for gaming rig.

Options
lundrog
lundrog Posts: 2
edited January 2013 in Headphones
I ordered a pair of Polk UltraFocus 8000 Active Noise Canceling Headphones. I want to match a headphone amp / dec with them, so I get optimal sound when gaming. I play games like battle field 3, etc.

I have a asrock extreme 4 motherboard.

I was thinking of using the optical or a hdmi cable if I use a dac.

I have a little room in my case, but not alot, thats why I was thinking amp/dac

This is a loud case, hence the noise canceling...

Picture of my case.

Also, is there anyway to get the i-device controls to work on PC? or the Mic to work on pc?
Post edited by lundrog on

Comments

• Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited January 2013
    Options
    An external DAC is certainly the way to go for quality 2-channel PC sound (vs. sound card). I would suggest looking at asynchronous USB rather than HDMI. Optical would also be a good choice. You could use the DAC/amp setup in combination with the mic input to the built-in sound on your MB.

What is your budget? I personally would look at Schiit audio, but my suggestions might change, depending on your budget.

http://schiit.com/ They have US-made & supported DACs and amps as low as $99 each.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • lundrog
    lundrog Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I would like to keep the cost under the cost of the headphones...

Thoughts on Schiit MAGNI MODI analong / BIFROST Digital vs JDS Labs JDS Labs/ODAC vs Audioengine D1 vs Fiio TAISHAN/D03K?

The Audioengine D1 / TAISHAN/D03K would have opitcal in for less cost of Schiit / JDS Labs I believe.
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I've heard the MODI and, IMO, there are other options for close to the same price that are better. For instance, the HRT Music Streamer II. The Music streamer is USB-only, however. I highly recommend the Musical Fidelity V-DACII that sounds much better than either of them and has optical, coax and USB input. It is, however, about double the price of the HRT. But from my experience, you get what you pay for with DACs.

I've heard good reviews on the MAGNI, but I haven't heard one myself. I will probably be buying one to replace the NAD C740 receiver I'm currently using to power my DT-880 headphones. I'm just now getting back into cans after being away for about 20 years, so I don't have the experience to comment on any of the other products you mention.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • timalan
    timalan Posts: 106
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Cheapest inroad is probably the Fiio stuff... their starting DAC/headphone amp is ~$50 and is a significant improvement over most onboard audio. If you want something higher up the food chain, I'd look into the NuForce gear. They've got a ton of options, including some that have an integrated amp to drive a couple of speakers if that would help you out.. the NuForce stuff you'd be looking at runs more like $300... lots of other options in between, but that may be a good place to bracket your search.
    5.1 theater - Pioneer SC-07, Mirage OMD-CC center, 4 x Mirage Omnisats, Boston Acoustics VPS-210 sub
    2.1 living room - NAD 7400 integrated, 2 x Platinum Audio Duos, MIT Terminator4 cables
    2.1 bedroom- Arcam Solo, 2 x Mirage OMD-5's
    FOR SALE - Genesis Servo-10 sub, Genesis Servo-12 amp; Martin Logan Dynamo sub; Mirage MM-6 sub; Harman Kardon DPR-1001 7.1 receiver