Setting Crossover Points for Receiver and Lo Pass Filter point for PSW10

profhsg
profhsg Posts: 4
I have just gotten a Polk PSW10 to add to my 2 channel stereo setup. My receiver is a Yamaha HTR-6140 and I have a pair of Infinity Beta 20s for my only speakers. The Yamaha receiver is hooked to the subwoofer through the receiver's subwoofer port via an RCA cable with a Y adapter. The receiver gives me the option of a wide choice of subwoofer crossover frequencies ranging from 40Hz to 200Hz with 80hz being the default setting. I have left the receiver's crossover point at the default 80Hz and set the PSW10's lo pass filter to 40Hz by turning it fully clockwise as suggested in the manual. Finally, I have my front speakers (the Infinities) set on small at the receiver. I have never had a subwoofer before, so I really am not sure what I'm doing. Do the above settings sound about right?

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by profhsg on

Comments

• specd_out
    specd_out Posts: 505
    edited January 2013
    everything is right except you want the LPF to be at the highest number on the sub, not the lowest.

The way you have it now is the AVR is sending everything 80hz and below to the sub but the setting on the sub is not playing anything above 40. so you have a 40hz gap. By setting it to the highest number it effectively disables the subs crossover and uses the AVRs instead
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • profhsg
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply. One more question. On my PSW10 the low pass filter has the highest frequency, 100Hz at the 12:00 o'clock position, the lowest frequency 40Hz at the 5:00 o'clock position, and the 80Hz at the 7:00 o'clock position. Is this normal and if it is, am I correct in assuming that I should set the switch to the 12 o'clock position (100Hz)?

Thanks again.
  • profhsg
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply. One more question. On my PSW10 the low pass filter has the highest frequency, 100Hz at the 12:00 o'clock position, the lowest frequency 40Hz at the 5:00 o'clock position, and the 80Hz at the 7:00 o'clock position. Is this normal and if it is, am I correct in assuming that I should set the switch to the 12 o'clock position (100Hz)?

Thanks again.

Sorry for the 2x post. I thought the original one didn't go through.
  • specd_out
    specd_out Posts: 505
    edited January 2013
    It should look like this
    h107PSW10B-b.jpeg

You should be all the way to the right.
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • profhsg
    edited January 2013
    Oops, from the angle I was looking at I missed the 1 in 160. Now it makes sense and I am enjoying my new subwoofer. Thanks for all the help.