new alternator

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited November 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
my question is about the alternator and batteries. i just purchased a 180 amp alternator for my 97' saturn sc2. i posted about a month ago about a battery question and someone suggested having two batteries. i also contacted audiobahn (sorry i know you guys don't like audiobahn) and they told me that i would be fine with a dual battery set-up. i'm going to be drawing at max draw 240 amps.
1. what size battery am i going to need?

2. what kind of battery will work for my car?
(for daily driving use not competition)

3. what brand battery do you recommend?

4. what is a dual battery kit and where can i get one if needed?

5. how do I wire these with the alternator?

6. what size power cable should i run off the alternator?

sorry for all the questions, but i'm pretty new with all this stuff, and there aren't a whole lot of stereo shops around that are willing to just sit and answer questions for me, they just try and get my to buy stuff that i don't need. and the ones that will answer questions don't seem to really know what there talking about. so i appreciate all the help that you guys give me, and have a happy thanksgiving.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited November 2003
    bout the only answer that i can think of off hand is to run 1/0 guage wire...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited November 2003
    I would reccomend an Optima battery. I use an orange top myself. Mainly due to the requirements of my vehicle. Top posts are reversed. Yellow wont work without a rewire. Orange top has been discontnued. Now in its place is a Reverse Red top. You could use either the Yellow or Red.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    go to pep boys - get two energizer 900 cca batteries... cheap - 69 bucks each.

then go and get a 2nd try to throw under the hood or in the trunk or whatever.

run 0 gauge with a 200 or 250 amp fuse from the alt to the primary battery.... jump 4 gauge from teh primary battery with an 80 amp fuse to your main auto fuse box that normally accepted the alternator's pwoer wire.

upgrade your ground on the primary battery to 0 gauge to the block.

run a 0 gauge line to the 2nd battery + terminal with a 200 / 250 amp fuse... ground the 2nd batt with 0 gauge.

run a 0 gauge line from 2nd batt to the amplifiers with a 200 / 250 amp fuse. .. yes we use lots of fuses here.

ground out your D block with 0 as well.

that oughta do it - that's the simple answer, if u need the long asnwer, dig through the posts, its in htere somewhere from way back when.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited November 2003
    the full diagram is in a thread that i started, i think it was "opinions change" but i could be wrong...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.