What"s the word on OSD Audio?

Options
Cuchulain
Cuchulain Posts: 66
edited January 2014 in Electronics
This two channel amp I came across appears to be just what I need but I'm unfamiliar with the name brand.

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/stereo-amplifer.html

This AMP300 is 150 watts per channel, dual source, A-B speaker and only $360. Have any of you guys ever heard these amps? The reviews are favorable and they're supposed to be built like a brick.
AVR: Integra DTR-50.4
TV: LG 50PS70
DVD/CD/BR: OPPO BDP 93
MAINS: Polk RTiA7
CENTER: Polk CSiA6
Heights: Polk VS 625RT (in wall)
SURROUNDS: Polk TC60i (in ceiling)
REARS: Polk R1
SUB: Polk PSW 125
Post edited by Cuchulain on

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Internally it looks identical to an Audiosource AMP 300.
    If it is the same OEM with a different external enclosure, I would stay away. Audiosource has some notorious reliability issues.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    edited January 2013
    Options
    OSD Audio is Outdoor Speaker Depot's house brand. As mentioned it is the same as the Audiosource AMP-300. I don't know about the newer Audiosource products, but I use an Audiosource AMP-Two in a bedroom system. Considering what I paid, I've got no complaints about its sound quality & it has been reliable. That said, for $360 you can do quite a bit better than an Audiosource amp if you are willing to look at the used market.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Dave, you are correct. The older Audiosource amps were actually quite good budget models. Case in point would be the AMP-3 versus the AMP-300. The AMP-3 has some heft to it. The toroidal transformer is a quality item and overall, it performed admirably for a budget amp.
    The AMP-300 is a different OEM. They switched to save production cost and the interior design shows this.

Definitely consider the used market, OP. That $360 would easily cover the $250 I paid for a used Emotiva UPA-2 (125wpc) and leave you with plenty left over for a nice steak dinner.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Cuchulain
    Cuchulain Posts: 66
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I'v always felt buying used was like buying someone else's problem. I think it stems from my younger days buying used cars. Anyway, I shall consider what you guys have said in my quest for something to push my RTiA7's. From all the talk around here I'm missing something by not using more power on these babies.
    AVR: Integra DTR-50.4
    TV: LG 50PS70
    DVD/CD/BR: OPPO BDP 93
    MAINS: Polk RTiA7
    CENTER: Polk CSiA6
    Heights: Polk VS 625RT (in wall)
    SURROUNDS: Polk TC60i (in ceiling)
    REARS: Polk R1
    SUB: Polk PSW 125
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I had some OSD speakers, and while they were a good value----ummmmm, that's about it. They worked ok for my pool area, though bass was rather boomy. They'd be fine for outdoor/garage rig I suppose, if you're not picky.

My Advent calypso outdoor speakers were leaps and bounds (significantly) better, FWIW.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Wow I just stumbled upon one of these OSD amps on the bay. I use the Audiosource AMP300 to power my VMPS subwoofer in my H/T rig, and this amp is the same.

Looks like all they really did was add meters to the front.