Klipsch vs. Polk?

Options
Telemundo
Telemundo Posts: 45
edited December 2003 in Speakers
I'm planning on buying a system as a X'mas present to myself...since no one i know like me enough to buy that for me. I'm plannin on gettin the RTi12s for front, CSi5 for center, FXi5 for surrounds, maybe a CSi3 for rear and the SVS PCi20-39 for sub. I'm leaning more towards the Harmon Kardon/ Onkyo higher models for AVR. I've recently heard the Klipsch Reference 35's series and I have to admit they sound pretty darn good also....really really loud with alot of impact. I demo'ed the Klipsch Reference 35's series while watching the Star Wars I pod-racing scene. I demo'ed the RTi12's during the Matrix scene while Neo was fighting the never ending Agent Smiths. Could that be the reason why I'm leaning towards the sound of the Klipsch since the Matrix scene is not full with loud mechanical sounds, such as engine noises? Have anyone here ever compared the Klipsch with the Polk's? Which one has the most impact? The decision has been driving me nuts...lol. If i go with the Onkyo AVR701 which is THX cert. would that make both speakers a really close battle that I wont be able to really hear the difference? I didnt jump on the Klipsch speakers after hearing the demo, becuz i still like the design of the Polk's alot more. Dilema...dilema....Please help me out...
Post edited by Telemundo on

Comments

• scornful
    scornful Posts: 272
    edited November 2003
    Options
    It might cost a bit more but have you considered seperates?
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
    InFocus 4805 ~100" Screen
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Klipsch, reminds me of a baby screaming in my ear when I am trying to eat, needless to say, uncomfortable. They can be extremely loud and sharp, but my experience with K's are on the vintage type.

I am not sure what you consider impact. I prefer the well rounded, smooth sound of the Polk's. At high volumes, they do not fatigue my ears like K's do. My RTi HT has never failed to make me happy. The Klipsch Reference series has been getting some good reviews, so perhaps they are sounding a bit softer these days.

I think that your power choice will help define either speakers' sound. THX isn't going to make it sound so different that you will make a wet spot, its a standard, not a rule. Its overrated.

If you can't go big in an AVR, then just don't go at all.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Try to demo both models again using the same demo material and buy the one that sounds best to you.

Klipsch speakers do have more impact/dynamics because of their higher sensitivity and horn design.

If I were in your position, I'd get the Klipsch. A receiver will not power the RTi12 properly. Due to the high sensitivity of the Klipsch, very little power is needed to achieve very high volume with less distortion.

Maurice
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Just this morning, I went back to seriously audition the RF7 again. It was driven by a Yamaha receiver and the source was a Pioneer Elite cd player. Listened to it set to large, 2 channel only. They had it in a dedicated theater room, which was pretty big. Cd I took was KISS' Revenge (since I saw them live very recently, I've been listening to KISS a lot here lately, and was very familar with this disc).

Before the very first song, UnHoly was over, I decided not to get them. They just grinded and grated on my nerves too much, just like my friend's KLF30s (which the RF7s basically replaced). If they were annoying me before one song was even through, there's just no way I could take any extended listening sessions with them. Now, this harshness may have been at least partly because of the Yamaha receiver (IMHO, Yamaha/Klipsch is a terrible pairing to begin with, bright on bright), plus the fact that there wasn't much furniture in that room, just a couple of theater style seats, may have contributed to the brightness and glare, but probably not enough to have really made that much of a difference that wasn't already in the speaker itself to begin with. What I mean is that even with a much warmer amp than a Yamaha, and even with a more absortive room, I think it really wouldn't have made enough of a difference to help tame the shrilly highs down enough.

Bottom line, I like the Polk 12s much better, plus they are cheaper. The Klipsch RF7s may have been better for movies than music, but when I audition a speaker, it first and foremost has to cut the mustard on 2 channel stereo before anything else. Any thoughts I had about Klipsch were put to rest once and for all today.
  • Telemundo
    edited November 2003
    Options
    if a receiver will not power the RTi12s properly....then what will? Anybody here had the Harman Kardon's new models? I love the design on them with that blue LED light...love LED lights..hehe...My Alienware computer has blue LED lights all over it...haha. Since u said the Klipsch will sound really loud at lower volumes, doesnt that mean the sound is cleaner, sharper and crisper? With the help of the SVS PCi20-39 sub, i will have all the bass i ever need, rite?
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited November 2003
    Options
    i would bet the difference has to do with what was powering them, i bet you most likely heard the rti12's running on a receiver at CC. let me tell you that the rti12's are not going to sound close to their best running off any receiver that CC sells. those 3 woofers take a huge amount of power to sound good. most people would reccomend 300 watts/ speaker. also the klipsch are probably much more efficient so they will sound louder with less wattage. i wouldnt trust the demo you get in CC, if you really want to see how they sound take them home and listen, then return them if you dont like them.

another thing, why would you get an SVS sub if you were buying rti12's? save the money from the svs and buy an amp for the rti12's, you will be surprised with how much bass you can get from them alone. when i had rti150s i prefered the bass from them to the M&K subwoofer i have, and the rti150s were running off my receiver. i think that you will be more then happy with the bass from the rti12's if you got a nice amp to power them.

its always a good idea to listen to speakers with music too. bring some cd's that you have listened to alot wen you demo speakers. dont just go by how a movie sounds. i wouldnt give up on the rti12's yet, and surely dont think you got a good demo of them at circuit city. i hope this helps. good luck ( i posted this in reply to the post in another thread but since you started this post, ill say it again)
  • Telemundo
    edited November 2003
    Options
    do you guys have any recommendations for driving the RTi12s with a receiver/amp combo thats' under $1500?. I'm loving the new Harman Kardon designs: ie. the AVR230-630. The AVR 630 output 75 w/p/c. If I was to get a separate amp for it, can i get the PA4000 by Harman Kardon? It offers the bridge mode 1 with 2 x 100 and 4 x 45 at the same time. I was thinking i can use the 100x2 to bi-amp the RTi12s, and 4x45 to bi-amp the CSi5, CSi3, and FXi5. Since this method of bi-amping uses 75w from the AVR630 and 100w from the PA4000, would this make the highs, mids, and lows to become unequally amped? Wont this make the RTi12s to make unnatural sounds? I've looked at alot of the higher end AVRs out there by B&K and Sunfire and noticed that all those receivers pump out 200w by 5 or 7 channels. That output is perfect for the RTi12s but not for the CSi5, CSi3, and FXi5. I'm sure somebody out there went thru this type of problems. How did you guys solve it? Please let me know if there is such a solution that can power the RTi12s(50watt-500watt), CSi5 (20watt-200watt), and FXi5 (20watt-125watt) fairly close to their maximum wattage capibilities.
    I know that I wont run into such problems with the Klipsch Reference 7 series, that's why I'm planning on getting those also for either the living room or the bedroom. The Klipsch RF7s are alot more efficient, almost any receivers will be able to drive them to how I want them to sound.
    PS: Yes, i'm planning on spoiling myself this X-mas
  • Shell
    Shell Posts: 134
    edited November 2003
    Options
    You could look at the Rotel 1055 or if you like separates (preamp/processor- Amp) you could look at Outlaw Audio http://www.outlawaudio.com/home.html They have a preamp/processor and 7 channel amp for $1598. The good thing about Outlaw is you get to demo the setup in your home where it really counts for 30 days risk free. If 1598 is to much they have b stocks for less and they are the same as the new ones.
  • kelley
    kelley Posts: 287
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I was fortunate to be able to listen to Klipsch/polk side by side when I made my purchase years ago. Klipsch played much louder, a good party speaker. The Polks however were much clearer. You must audition both of them in your house if at all possible. This is a big purchase and if you aren't happy........
    SDS-400, SDA-1B, SVS 20-39pc+, B&K Ref 50, Denon 2900
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited November 2003
    Options
    That's the same decision I came to eight years ago. The Klipsch speakers sounded good, but very detailed on the high end. Basically you either prefer the horn tweeter or you don't.
  • theear707
    theear707 Posts: 12
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Great a face off and I have both brands(main speakers and subs!)

Lets see,first about this...

"Klipsch, reminds me of a baby screaming in my ear when I am trying to eat, needless to say, uncomfortable."

LOL

Please this is just oo funny,large Klipsch speakers matched with proper electronics are in no way screaming or irritating.Too many match Klipsch with improper amps just because Klipsch are easy to drive.

PolkAudio sounds better with receivers,even edgy receivers.As PolkAudio speakers smooth out the upper range and apear less irritating on adgy electronics,and yes the sound is much more laid back.Bass is less defined too

With Klipsch you get what the amp feed them(the large Klipsch starting with the RF7's),so any edgy recording or low quality amp with make the experience...a ear bleed joyride.With quality amplification and tube preamps however its another story.The sound is life like and dynamics explosive.Bass is as defined as it gets(no KSW series subs are not true Klipsch just POS designs with the Klipsch badge).

Me I like both visions of what reproduced sound should be.You have to listen and compare,as each person should buy what sounds best to their ears.
    Dynaudio Contour main system,Klipsch RF HT system and PolkAudio PSW404/505 subs and RTi speakers used with main PC.Some Totem speakers too...and much more
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Great post. Now I can't wait to get my RF-15! I'll be powering them with a tube pre and amp.

How sensitive are they to noise generated by tube equipments? With my LSi9, I can hear some hiss/buzz when I place my ears close to the speakers. I'm just afraid that their higher sensitivity will play the noise much louder.

Maurice
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Well the thread is about comparison, that was my comparison. I don't prefer them, and they sound harsh to me...and I have stumbled upon Kilpsch ran on proper gear. You say they rock on the right gear....I say they sound like a baby screaming in my ear.

Polk's bass is less defined in the lower end, but the mid-bass is a Polk Audio hero. We can all just post and post, about how gear sounds with blah blah blah....like you said its the individuals ears, and I won't be buying Kilpsch.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.