NAD 116 pre

PSOVLSK
PSOVLSK Posts: 5,184
I bought this from brgman in Oct. of '11. I can't find much info related to the going rate on these, but I'll price in accordance with the price I paid...which I think is a tremendous bargain. The face of the unit is in great shape. The top has some scuffs, but nothing that I would call major. I just got this back from being repaired, so it's been gone over pretty well. The problem was the muting circuit which was replaced. My repair guy was pretty impressed with this unit and told me I'd have to spend a lot more than I paid to get an improvement in sound. So why am I selling then? Decided to downsize (simplify) my system.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/116-Stereo-Preamplifier/

$240 to your door CONUS

Also have the C440 tuner I'll be listing soon as well as a Carver amp.
Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
Post edited by PSOVLSK on

Comments

• TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited January 2013
    Do you have the remote, and can you use both outs at the same time?
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,577
    edited January 2013
    LOL, Travis I was JUST about to text you about this pre lol....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • PSOVLSK
    edited January 2013
    I have the remote. Not sure about the 2nd question. I looked at the owners manual online and it doesn't specify that I noticed. I'm sure there is a reason I'm not considering, but what would be the purpose of having two outs if you couldn't use them at the same time?

I'll keep looking for an answer. I would take it to my HT and just hook it up, but I'm afraid of frying something if they can't be used at the same time:surprised::sad:
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,577
    edited January 2013
    Be able to drive a set of speakers and use the other for RCAs for another amp connected to a passive sub :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • PSOVLSK
    edited January 2013
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?119490-Very-Nice-NAD-116-remote-preamp-w-phono

Here's the original thread where geppy sold it to brgman. Maybe one of these guys will know the answer.

I figured there was a reason that I wasn't thinking of...maybe more than one:lol:
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited January 2013
    from the data sheet....
    Two sets of RCA outputs make it easy to bi-amplify your
    speakers. The active, fully balanced XLR outputs connect to professional equipment, or can be used in
    critical domestic applications.

the must both be active simultaneously.

used to drive me nuts on the old 1020... has 2 pre-outs but one is boosted gain... so one or the other.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited January 2013
    I have this pre in one of my systems and absolutely love it. Yes, you can use both RCA's at the same time if I can remember correctly.

Great price on this. GLWTS
  • geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,074
    edited January 2013
    Yes you can use both sets of RCAs. The audiogon bluebook is around $320 based on actual sales so this is a very good deal.
  • PSOVLSK
    edited January 2013
    Thank you chandler9a and geppy.
  • TNHNDYMAN
    edited January 2013
    11tsteve wrote: »
    from the data sheet....

the must both be active simultaneously.

used to drive me nuts on the old 1020... has 2 pre-outs but one is boosted gain... so one or the other.

11steve- I'm watching some 1020's and wonder if you can explain this better. The boosted gain vs normal pre out ect... I'm wanting to run one set out to amp for front speakers, and another set out to a amp that will be bridged going to a passive sub. Are you saying that's not possible with the 1020?

I really like has this pre that pso is selling has gold plated outputs but not sure if I'd miss the tone controls. Decisions, Decisions...
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• 11tsteve
    edited January 2013
    TNHNDYMAN wrote: »
    11steve- I'm watching some 1020's and wonder if you can explain this better. The boosted gain vs normal pre out ect... I'm wanting to run one set out to amp for front speakers, and another set out to a amp that will be bridged going to a passive sub. Are you saying that's not possible with the 1020?

I really like has this pre that pso is selling has gold plated outputs but not sure if I'd miss the tone controls. Decisions, Decisions...
    pm'd
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • TNHNDYMAN
    edited January 2013
    OK steve's timely info helped me not waste any money on the 1020's. So back to brass tacks....

PSOVLSK- would you be interested in any type of trade, say maybe a nice pair of Focal bookshelf speakers or anything else on the wish list? I'd have a hard time doing this deal with cash only but not impossible. Feel free to pm me to discuss further.

• PSOVLSK
    edited January 2013
    DSCF6144.jpg
    DSCF6143.jpg
    DSCF6142.jpg

A couple of pics.
  • PSOVLSK
    edited January 2013
    I really can't imagine finding a better pre- for under $250.
  • chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited January 2013
    I don't even need this and I want to buy it. Some of you guys who are thinking trying out separates and just want to see what it sounds like without spending a lot, this is a great option.
  • PSOVLSK
    edited January 2013
    Also have a Carver TFM-55 that I can sell with this. I've been holding off listing the Carver because I don't want to sell it before the pre- sales.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,646
    edited January 2013
    I think you would get plenty of interest in the Carver...at least from me you would. LOL.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • PSOVLSK
    edited January 2013
    Bump
  • PSOVLSK
    edited February 2013
    Now on craigslist at a little bit higher price.

Wasn't looking for trades initially, but since I'm keeping the turntable I need a phone pre. So. this could conceivably work out great for a trade since the NAD has a phono input.
  • PSOVLSK
    edited February 2013
    Bump
  • PSOVLSK
    edited February 2013
    Frankly I'm shocked there's no interest in this. Cheap way to get into separates and really good enough that you'd never HAVE to upgrade. As previously mentioned, also have the tuner, Carver amp, and some IC's if interested.
  • jimbo1421
    jimbo1421 Posts: 772
    edited February 2013
    I have its predecessor, the NAD 106 and appreciate its feature set very much. Two sets of tape in/outs, phono MM & MC, plus CD, video and tuner inputs make this a very versatile preamp. Balanced outputs are a big plus if your phono is some distance away from your amp.

I recently checked out a Dynaco PAS-3 tube preamp and decided it was no improvement over the NAD 106. Before I hooked it up to the AV preamp I had it set up with a Parasound HCA-1000A which I think is a terrific combo.

Good luck with the sale.

Jim
    5.1 System:
    TCL R613 55" 4K
    Front: SRS-3.1TL
    Center: CS400i
    Surround: Monitor 10B
    PSW10 subwoofer
    Onkyo PR-SC886P Pre/Pro
    NAD T955 5 channel power amplifier
    Technics SL-1710 MK2 turntable
    Audio-Technica AT14Sa cartridge
    Parasound P3 pre-amp
    Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray
    2014 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz

2.0 Office System:
    Monitor 10A (Peerless)
    Outlaw 1050 receiver
    Parasound HCA-1000A power amp
    MacPro
  • 11tsteve
    edited February 2013
    pm sent.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • PSOVLSK
    edited February 2013
    11tsteve wrote: »
    pm sent.

Replied
  • PSOVLSK
    edited March 2013
    This unit now has a new owner. Thanks Steve!

BTW, got your pm, but your inbox is full.

Glad it made it you in good shape. Sounds like you're enjoying it as much as I did.
  • 11tsteve
    edited March 2013
    Thanks to you Paul! I am enjoying it very much and looking forward to spending a longer session with it this weekend.
    Super nice guy and just a great experience.

and inbox cleared.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2