PA880 remote doesn't seem to work properly

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited January 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just got my PA880 hooked up today. It's driving 2 db1040 subs in a ported enclosure.

My problem relates to the remote. When I use it, all of the control takes place in the first 25% of the knob rotation. Anything beyond that does nothing at all. It doesn't appear that the gain is limited, meaning that everything from 25% and up is just full gain (as set on the amp).

Any thoughts?
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2013
    Where is the gain set on the amp? Im not real familiar with remote gain controls but I think on some amps the gain needs to be set to max if youre using the remote as the remote will control the actual gain setting. Not sure about that though.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • nadams
    edited January 2013
    I don't know that I tried full gain on the amp. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2013
    How'd this work for you Noah? Any luck?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • nadams
    edited January 2013
    Not really... Still doesn't seem to be working as it should. I found some discussion on another forum that said to take the following steps to set up the remote:

1. Turn remote to max, turn gain on the amp all the way down.
    2. Play music at your maximum listening volume.
    3. Adjust the gain on the amp up to the distortion point, then back it off to below distortion.
    4. The remote gain controller should now be set up.

However, when I tried that, it still seems like the remote is functioning more as a on/off switch than a continuously variable adjustment.

I haven't had a chance to really work on the system... and I don't like trying to tweak it at home, because at those volumes it annoys the neighbors a bit. My plan is to go over to work to do the tuning. We have a large amount of property, and it's in an commercial area... nobody to bother, especially on a Sunday.
    Ludicrous gibs!