Need help choosing an amp....

Kschultz76
Kschultz76 Posts: 59
edited November 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
My last post about this didn't get much response so I'm going to try again. I'm pretty familiar with car audio, but am a novice when it comes to amps. I'm looking to amp the following speakers:

Polk EX3550
5.25" components, RMS 10-85 watts

Polk db690
6x9 3 ways RMS 100 watts
(may go with MMC690 MOMO's, can anyone tell if they'd be worth the extra 50 bucks?)

I am looking at lots of amps and am just not sure what to believe about any of them. Some brands I've looked at are Rockford Fosgate, MTX, and Hifonics. Everyone here seems to love Hifonics. My price range for a 4 channel to run all speakers is around 200-250. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for the highest sound quality I can afford, and reliability. Here a few I've considered so far:

RF 501x

MTX Thunder 404

Hifonics Apollo Son of Olympus

Hifonics Zeus ZX6400

I'm by no means settled on any one of these, and would be open to any other ideas anyone has. I'm begging for any input, advice, info anyone can provide. I'm a novice when it comes to amps and related questions so I'll have lots of questions and apologize in advance if I ask boring basic stuff. Thanks.

Kevin
Post edited by Kschultz76 on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2003
    well you could go with a alpine MRV-F540 4 channel amp it puts out 80 watts rms X 4 at 4ohm.its 600 bucks off crutchfield though but im sure you could find it cheaper somewere else.that should give ya good sound.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited November 2003
    i would go with the apollo
    it puts out more watts than the rf or mtx
    the mtx is dirty, that would be the last one i would pick
    i would go with the RF next
    but i would go find the 550X
    the difference is, its a year older, and i dont like 2003 rf gear
    the 550x would put out about 85(+)x4 rms, even though its not rated that
    you can find it at http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12456 for $259
    the ONLY reason i have the hifonics above the RF is b/c its cheaper
    3rd, the zeus, the ONLY reason why this one isnt on TOP is b/c of price
    4th, is the mtx
    i wouldnt consider mtx an option
    i wouldnt consider the 551x an option either, the 550x, although, i do
    onlinecarstereo says it has a 1 yr, but im pretty sure it has a 3yr warranty since its the power series
    i think you would be very happy with the apollo, i dont think youll be any happier with the zeus which is a lot more expensive
    to me, its b/t the RF 550X and the apollo, but truthfully, for $100 less, id go with the apollo
    alpine is too expensive for what you get
    -Cody
  • Kschultz76
    edited November 2003
    What if I told you I found the Zeus at OnlineCarstereo.com for $249?
    Would that make it worth getting over the RF or Apollo?

Thanks for your input, it is really helpful.

Kevin

PS- Are any of these too much or too little power for my application?
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited November 2003
    id go with the apollo still
    its $160...cant really beat that
    and it comes with a 3 yr warranty(thats what sounddomain said i think)
    if the apollo comes with a 1 yr, and the zeus comes with a 3 yr, get the zeus, if both hifonics come with a 1yr, and the RF comes with a 3 yr, get the RF
    try and contact hifonics THROUGH hifonics, theyll tell you what comes with what
    as far as the RF, im 99% sure it comes with a 3 yr
    and the momo vs. db, its really your choice, i have not heard either of these speakers b/c theyre new, but go to Circuit city or a local polk dealer, then u can decide if its worth an extra $50
    the momos are huge though, u might want to check if youll have any depth problems
    -Cody
  • Kschultz76
    edited November 2003
    Cody, I already checked with Hifonics, both the Zeus and the Apollo carry a 1 year warranty.....I have to check on the RF. If the RF does come with a 3yr you would choose it over the Hifonics?

Am I going to be over or underpowering any of the speakers with any of these amps?

Kevin
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited November 2003
    if it does have the 3 yr, then yes, id go with the RF
    if not, go with the apollo
    you will be neither over or under powering these speakers
    the EX's are rated at 85...could take up to 100 watts
    the db's could takes 120 easily
    so youre not going to be running them to their full potential, but dont get me wrong, im sure youd be more than happy with than rf or the apollo
    to run them both at their full potential, youd need 2 two channel amps instead of 1 four channel amp
    but thats more money and more space
    -Cody
  • Kschultz76
    edited November 2003
    Yeah I thought about two separate 2 channels....unfortunately that's just not in the budget. I found out that Onlinecarstereo.com is an authroized Hifonics dealer, but am having trouble getting confirmation from RF about them and the warranty on the Power 550x.

Your input and advice have been really great Cody......Once I actually make a decision I'm going to have some wiring questions for everyone.......I'm going to become a real annoying novice I'm sure.

Thanks again,
    Kevin
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited November 2003
    i called RF and onlinecarstereo is not an authorized dealer
    the 1 yr warranty they have on the RF is through onlinecarstereo, not rf
    sounddomain has the apollo listed with a 3 yr warranty though, you said you called hifonics and it only comes with a 1 yr warranty though, so i dont know whats up with that
    and dont worry, we were all new to car audio at one point, your questions arent annoying
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2003
    sounddomain and onlinecarstereo both offer warranties with thier products. Independant of manufacturer warranties. At least they have in the past from what I am told.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Kschultz76
    edited November 2003
    Does anyone know of an authorized RF dealer still selling the 550x? Is the 551x worth the 269.00 that sounddomain is selling it for? I'm afraid of buyin any amp that won't have a manufacturer warranty or support......

Kevin