Looking to expand

neomagus00
neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
edited November 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've got a set of MM6's and I'm looking to expand later (there's a stock location for 5 1/4" in the rear, think I'm gonna put MMC525's there). My question is - do I go with a two channel amp for the front and buy another later for the rear? Or do I just buy a four-channnel now and be ready to expand? (The MM6's do run off only two channels, right?) Thanx for your help.
It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
Post edited by neomagus00 on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited November 2003
    the mm6s can handle about 225 watts crossed over at 100Hz
    the mmc525s will only handle about 100 watts crossed over at 100Hz
    if you have a sub, youd crossover the 525s at 85hz, mm6s at 100, sub(s) at 85
    id go with 2 2channels
    youd have to compromise performance to the mm6s if you went with a 4 channel
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2003
    aren't the MM6's rated at 150 watts rms? (i.e. does raising the crossover that high increase their power handling?) and since i'm looking to stay with pretty much a polk system, i'm going to get two MM104's. My questions are - is this (1000 watts rms) enough power to get through the trunk of my Saab 9-3, and will i be able to hear it when i put the top down? a saab is, in case you didn't know, built like a frickin tank, so i'm concerned. i'm looking for sq, too cause i listen to mostly metal. are these subs a good choice, and can i power them with a 500.1 each? thanks for the info above, btw
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    a 500.1 will only give each 104 about 250 watts.

i suggest a polk momo C300.2 (which does 500 or so bridged at 4 ohms to each sub) for EACH sub.

now.. as far as the power - cody is right.

the higher you cross them over, the more friggin power u can dump into them.

put them in small sealed boxes and u can pour an assload on.

point being made -- get like a 150 or so by 2 amp for the front... and a 50 or 60 x 2 for the rear... that'll do ya plenty.

far as will u hear it ---

well... try it -- if u think its not loud enough - cut a small oval hole ( 5 x 8 inches) in the back deck in between your two rear speakers... then put a 6x9" speaker grille over the hole so it just looks like another speaker back there... when in reality now you've got a nice big hole fo rbass to come rumbling through.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge