It is or It is not Polk AMP a good AMP

geralopez
geralopez Posts: 115
edited November 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm really confused. I increase my budget to $950 (from $600 originally) to spend in amp's. I was waiting to reach the Polk's amps. Now I can buy them but, Are they considered as middle class amps? It is possible that can be compared with Hifonics amps? For US amps, Soundstream, its OK the comparative but about Hifonics confuse me.
I was thinking in Autotek Stealth Series Autotek Stealth Series
(1) XS-900.4 110W x 4 @ 4 ohms for
(2) MM6 components (Front & Rear)
and
(1) XS-1600X 900W x 1 @ 2 ohms or 1600W x 1 @ 1 ohm Class X for
(3) MM2104 subs in a sealed box.

Can you give me an orientation what to buy?
I prefer Polk amps because I'm a Polkaudio user but...

GLopez
Post edited by geralopez on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2003
    Buy Polk Audio amps if you want them. There is nothing wrong with them. They put up nice numbers. What is so wrong with Hifonics amps? Hifonics has been around for about 20-25 years. They are pioneers in the car audio industry. They have always built solid performers and that is even more true now. They put up very impressive numbers and have some extremely strong and very clean power house amps that are 1 ohm stable in bridged mode in some cases. I have yet to see another amp company provide an amp that solid and powerful for anywhere near the price of a Hifonics amp.

I'd hate to break it to you though but PPI, Hifonics, USAmps, Soundstream, even Polk Audio...they are all mid-line amps. You need to get to the high end of Soundstream, PPI, Phoenix Gold, Zapco, A/D/S/ and many others to get true hi-end audio. But you'll have to take out a second mortgage to pay for it all.

For your purposes, Polk Audio's new amps will be more than enough. I can show you better but just looking at the price tags makes my checkbook scream and hide! For your money, you are not going to do much better than Polk Audio amps. There are plenty of other solid performers in Polk Audio's price point and I can even point to a few that will out-perform the Polk Audio amps. But for your purposes and your desire to have a totally Polk Audio system, the Polk Audio amps will serve you well and I'll bet that you will be more than happy with them.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • geralopez
    edited November 2003
    Thanks Jstas.
    I have not nothing vs. Hifonics, in fact, I was considering to buy these amps cause I found them here in Monterrey, Mx. at good price even the Autotek amps. The real wrong thing is to read a lot of post and try to get a decision. Somewhere I reed they are not so good. But now you are given me good references.
    If you recommend me Hifonics, I can get it locally. To get the Polk's I have to order online at CC and pick-it up in McAllen, TX.
    Have you any opinion about Autotek compared with the suggested brands?
    Well, anyway I have to decide soon, Polk's (C500.1 & C300.2 are in special price for a while)

Thank you again.

GLopez
  • Jstas
    edited November 2003
    I don't know much about the Autotek amps. I have not heard anything good or bad about them either. Personally, I'd stick with the Hifonics or Polk amps. If the Hifonics is easier and cheaper for you to get a hold of then maybe that is your best way to go? Unless you want the Polk amps and are willing to make the trip to Texas.

• Jstas
    edited November 2003
    One othger thing, Crutchfield.com has the Polk Audio amps and they usually have competative prices with CC. They will deliver it right to your door too I believe. So that is another option for you.

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited November 2003
    sounddomain.com is an authorized dealer now too
    probably cheaper than cructfield
    -Cody
  • geralopez
    edited November 2003
    Some actual street prices (by now):

At CC.com :

C300.2 $ 277.99 Pick up at stores
    C400.4 Not available yet
    C500.1 $ 379.99 Pick up at stores

At Crutchfield.com :

C300.2 $ 399.99 Free Shipp.
    C400.4 $ 499.99 Free Shipp.
    C500.1 $ 449.99 Free Shipp.

At Soundomain.com :

C300.2 $ 399.99 Free Shipp.
    C400.4 $ 499.99 Free Shipp.
    C500.1 $ 449.99 Free Shipp.

At e-bay:

C300.2 $ 274.90 + $19.00 shipp. charg. to TX
    C400.4 $ 319.90 + $19.00 shipp. charg. to TX
    C500.1 $ 299.90 + $19.00 shipp. charg. to TX

GLopez
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    autotek stealth series amps are good -- the rest aren't anything to write home about -- jensen with prettier colors.

as far as "mid line amps going"

i'll agree but there's still a "low" mid line versus a "high" mid line.

JBL BP, Blaupunkt, Sony, etc. amps aren't in the same league as USamps or Soundstream's low level or Xtant's A series.

none the less -- u're right, none of it is "creme de le creme" stuff.

one of the many reasons i never regretted sacrificing a little quality for reliability sake. a few more bucks wont necessarily get me anything better. have to blow the bank to get the stuff that's going to strike fear into the hearts of men -- and then once u get it, it'll probably get stolen. lol
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2003
    LoL PBG about the Autoek line of amps..I have a sx2200 going in instead of the junky 401s RF amp..Ill let ya know how that high end Jensen ampd does ;)
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited November 2003
    i've heard that while jensen has a bad rep from making an **** load of bad product in the past, that their latest high line of amps is actually pretty decent...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited November 2003
    Autotek Stealth and Mean Machine??? (the one that is a big black monster) are great amps. Street Machine are ok, SS you wouldn't wanna touch.
    "The Big C"
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2003
    I myself like to keep things simple. I stick with the majors and figure ya cant go wrong. Precision Power, and Xtant are excellent SQ amps and 4 channels start at $500. From what I know, Xtant has more SQ trophies than anyone else. Not necessarily proof they rule but sure does make ya look at em closer.

I also like Alpines V12 series. I know theyre not considered super high end but the ones Ive heard are very clean and accurate and they dont cost as much. Plus some of the testers at Carsound.com claim to have them as their everyday, personal amps in their cars.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing