Fronts and center channel HT bookshelf suggestions please

Options
apc
apc Posts: 779
edited January 2013 in Speakers
We're renovating our den and building a wall of shelves/cabinets which will house the TV, cable box, blu ray and receiver. I'm selling my tower fronts and over sized center channel speakers. I want to get replacements and would appreciate some suggestions. At this point I can design the shelves around the speakers. Never been a top of the line guy and the middle of the road is OK with me. Thanks for your input.
Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
Post edited by apc on

Comments

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited January 2013
    Options
    What are the measurements?

And your budget?

What AVR will you be powering them with?

And already have a sub and existing surround speakers?

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Amherst
    Amherst Posts: 695
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Just make room for a 2ft. wide center in the shelving no matter which one you settle on.

The most important speaker in HT and down the road you may not be satisfied with the quality of the smaller one's that take less space. I have yet to find one out of many tried. Just something difficult about reproducing proper vocals in movies for smallish setups.

Bookshelf speakers another story.
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
    Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.
  • apc
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I can design the shelves around the speakers, so anything considered bookshelf should be OK. I'll set a ceiling of $1k and hope to under run. An old Pioneer VSX-D509S and an older Polk 100 watt sub. I have a couple of choices for surrounds, so not required.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited January 2013
    Options
    When I started my HT system, my 3.1 was the RTI/A1, CSI/A4, and a DSW PRO 440 wi. That little 3 channel sounded really good with my Yamaha RX-V571 AVR. Just my humble opinion on the subject.
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited January 2013
    Options
    get matching bookshelfs for all 3, i am absolutely loving my rti's, check the ebay store, they have rti 4's and csi5 if you want a normal center,
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • apc
    edited January 2013
    Options
    So just cruising the PA products, my pick would be a pair of RTiA3 and a CSiA6 unless the CSiA4 is better matched. Thoughts?
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited January 2013
    Options
    nope, youre right,
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited January 2013
    Options
    New Audio Video has RTI/A3 for $289.40 right now. Pretty good price.
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited January 2013
    Options
    RTiA3's for the fronts and CSiA6 for the center would sound pretty good IMHO
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • apc
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Just ordered a CSiA4. After selling my existing fronts, center and sub I plan to buy the RTiA3's. For the rears I have changed my mind. Was going to use an older set of Polk RT25's, but we are not going to build shelves any more in the rear. Our rears will have to be in walls now.

Has anyone got experience with the Polk in wall speakers and which set may best match with the above? Not sure how to pair the RC vs MC vs RT vs RC?

As usual, thank you for your input!
  • apc
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Noting that I changed the subject on my last post, I'm creating a new thread for the surrounds.
  • michael1947
    michael1947 Posts: 775
    edited January 2013
    Options
    How you gonna run the rear/side wires especially if you do in-wall? For what little the rears/sides do in the entire small HT environment your 4's would work great although those beautiful rtia3 would look stunning! It can be difficult running cable to the rears and also difficult getting in-wall speakers to sound authentic without the enclosure designed for the drivers. Make that 2 foot wide opening below your tv as it will have a more realistic dialog. Please let us know how you are doing along with photos.
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • apc
    edited January 2013
    Options
    We're renovating the room including removal of the wall coverings. As with other rooms we've done, the walls are taken down to the studs. We will be able to run wiring and insulation to all four walls.