Arc Audio Black 4'' driver as part of active 3-way with a set of Polk SR6500 ?

Options
Vital
Vital Posts: 747
edited February 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
Currently running SR6500 active and love it but as most of us human beings I wanna try something else, a bit more advanced, more difficult to work with but something that will bring even better results once I've mastered it.

:idea: Would getting Arc Black 4'' driver in the mix be a good match?

SR's woofer is 6.75'' and as most of you know has incredible bass output.
SR's tweeter is very detailed but it doesn't go very low. (according to some lol) It's def a better match for SR5250 woofer.

Seems like getting that 4'' Arc Black driver would be a good idea but i'd like to bounce it off you guys first.

Also - what kind of enclosure would be optimal for Arc Black 4?
2008 Nissan Altima
Kenwood DNX 5140
Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
Post edited by Vital on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2013
    Options
    It can do a butt load in terms of imaging and staging. If you have your 6's mounted in the doors and you stick that 4 in the dash or the kick panel, it can increase your stage depth and detail and focus immensely if you have the processing power to take advantage of it.

The best place IMO to mount a 4 in an Altima is in the kick panel. You cut a hole in the sheet metal of the kick and mount it there and cut out the section of the trim panel and make a home made grill or just drill a bunch of holes around it and then wrap it in grill cloth. Then with some EQ'ing and time alignment, you can dial in an awesome soundstage. Cut them off around 400 or 500 Hz and run them up to around 4 or 5K.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited February 2013
    Options
    if you go with your idea don't buy the Arc Audio black drivers. Go straight to the source and buy SB Acoustic drivers. The Arc's are just re-badged SB Acoustics drivers with a HUGE mark up. Arc sells for $359 a pair. The same drivers are $110.50 a pair at Madisound.

http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php/products/midrange-drivers1/midrange-drivers/
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Man Im always hearing a lot of good things about SB drivers. You can even find people that swear theyre as good as Scanspeak drivers in some instances. I didnt know that SB was making drivers for Arc though. Interesting to know.

That is a very impressive mid I tell ya. That thing is beefy as hell. Nice FR graph too. Flat as a pancake down to 100 Hz! Nice!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Vital
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Yes, those blacks are made by SB. Arc is not even trying to hide it, they did confirm relationship with SB and also said that Black series does differe somehow from originals. Don't remember exactly what the difference is but i'm sure it's minor and I def remember it had something to do with being better in the car environment.

Either way I did get Arc Black 4''.
    I got a killer deal on them, cheaper then SBs and would only regret not pulling the trigger.
    I didn't install it yet and probably will not for a long time, maybe not even till I get a new car as these 4''s are huge as hell, a lot bigger then I thought 4''s could be. There's just not enought space for them in the front of my car without going some custom install route.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • killerb
    edited February 2013
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Man Im always hearing a lot of good things about SB drivers. You can even find people that swear theyre as good as Scanspeak drivers in some instances. I didnt know that SB was making drivers for Arc though. Interesting to know.

That is a very impressive mid I tell ya. That thing is beefy as hell. Nice FR graph too. Flat as a pancake down to 100 Hz! Nice!

They are supposed to be very impressive.
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
  • killerb
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Vital wrote: »
    Yes, those blacks are made by SB. Arc is not even trying to hide it, they did confirm relationship with SB and also said that Black series does differe somehow from originals. Don't remember exactly what the difference is but i'm sure it's minor and I def remember it had something to do with being better in the car environment.

Either way I did get Arc Black 4''.
    I got a killer deal on them, cheaper then SBs and would only regret not pulling the trigger.
    I didn't install it yet and probably will not for a long time, maybe not even till I get a new car as these 4''s are huge as hell, a lot bigger then I thought 4''s could be. There's just not enought space for them in the front of my car without going some custom install route.

Nice, did you get them on DIYMA?
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
  • Vital
    edited February 2013
    Options
    ^^ Yap.
    Brand new, in the box, still wrapped in plastic. They are pretty heavy and solid looking btw, def seem to be a great addition to any 3way, too bad they'll lay around my house for some time before i'll get to trully enjoy them :)
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • killerb
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I saw those, you got a killer deal my man.
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub