Ever order from referencerecordings.com?

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited November 2003 in Music & Movies
Just wondering what you think about their sound quality. The reviews say it's the best out there.

A few days ago I ordered the XLO test&burn-in CD. The deal with Polk is over so I had to pay full price:(. I also picked up "Baroque Favorites". The engineers at RR are big fans of HDCD and use it on almost all their recordings. Can't wait to hear how they sound on my NAD since it decodes HDCD.

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• organ
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Ok, nevermind...I received my CD yesterday. I thought it was going to take a lot longer.

They are out of stock for the XLO test and burn-in CD and will get more by the end of this holiday season.

I've been listening to "Baroque Favorites" and I'm blown away by the sound quality! Don't know how the sound on non-HDCD players though but to finally see the HDCD light on my NAD turn on is great.

If you enjoy classical, jazz, vocals and choral, check out the CD's on www.referencerecordings.com They are big fans of HDCD.

Maurice
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Oops, I thought this was a vinyl thread since it said reference recordings. :eek:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    FIRE - LOL :D

Organ - I have not heard of those fellows. They sound like another smaller group, Mapleshade, that makes their own recordings. Sounds cool, I will check out the website.

www.mapleshaderecords.com
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I have a few HDCDs that sound great. Beck, Neil Young, CSNY and Tool.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited November 2003
    Options
    WOW! RR I remember that company from the 60's. They had the best vinyl recording of chamber music. I should put some of the CD's on my X mass list.
  • organ
    edited November 2003
    Options
    fire,
    C'mon man, CD's sound great too:).

doro,
    Thanks for the link. I'm going to give their CD's a try.

Derick,
    Haven't heard them but it's nice to see that even rock music is using HDCD:).

bikezappa,
    They don't sell vinyl anymore:( but the CD I got sounds spectacular. They're still selling chamber music.

I was listening again last night and I just couldn't believe how big the soundstage was. The micro dynamics is killer. I can't wait to buy more recordings from RR.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited November 2003
    Options
    fire,
    C'mon man, CD's sound great too:).

doro,
    Thanks for the link. I'm going to give their CD's a try.

Derick,
    Haven't heard them but it's nice to see that even rock music is using HDCD:).

bikezappa,
    They don't sell vinyl anymore:( but the CD I got sounds spectacular. They're still selling chamber music.

I was listening again last night and I just couldn't believe how big the soundstage was. The micro dynamics is killer. I can't wait to buy more recordings from RR.

Maurice