Velleman K8020 Tube Preamp

daboyz
daboyz Posts: 5,207
edited January 2013 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I've had this pre for a few months because I wanted to get back into tubes very badly but was on a tight budget. This one fit the bill very nicely. It has some good quality parts and works very well. I would consider it midsized as far as pre's go. The finish is silver and in very nice condition.

I must admit, when I first hooked it up it didn't really knock my socks off. Afetr dorking around with it I changed the tubes from the ones that I got with it and that did the trick. That lovely tube sound I was missing was back!! I tried a few different tubes in it and it responded very well to all of them.

I have a pair of ECC802s's in it now and the sound is really nice considering the price. You cant' beat it if you're looking to get into tubes on the cheap.

Link: http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?id=350617

It will come with a nice pair of 12AU7 tubes. I would suggest that you upgrade to the ECC802s"s for $55 more.

$175 shipped with 12au7's
$230 shipped adding the ECC802s
Post edited by daboyz on

Comments

• daboyz
    edited January 2013
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,582
    edited January 2013
    GLWTS, I bet this would pair great with the tube amp I have incoming for my office....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • daboyz
    edited January 2013
    This is a nice piece. Someone will be happy they bought it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,291
    edited January 2013
    was that a kit and did you put it together?
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2013
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    was that a kit and did you put it together?

Ask cstmar01 its who daboyz bought it off of. The original FS thread here:

More info starting at post 20 here
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • daboyz
    edited January 2013
    Chris bought it from another Cheesehead. It is kit but it was done very well
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,291
    edited January 2013
    thanks guys I have a Carver C16 pre and would like to get my ears on tubes but for some reason I feel I'm moving backwards from the C16. GLWTS
    any thoughts?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,947
    edited January 2013
    How would this compare to say a Yaqin or dared pre ? I know you must have had an ear on Brocks. Curious is all, giving this some consideration.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daboyz
    edited January 2013
    Tony, I've also owned a Dared. I would say that it could keep up with it very well. Sonically I'd say they are damn close at half the price with the upgraded tubes in it. Both respond very well to different tubes. I could definitely tell a difference tonally with each pair of tubes I put in. I settled on the ECC802s because they were simply marvelous in the pre. My next purchase for this would've been a pair of Amperex 7316's which would be in the $100 range if you're patient enough to find them.

IMHO(not just because I'm selling it) the Velleman can hang with pre's at a much higher price range. If it doesn't sell I'm not going to be bummed to keep it.
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited January 2013
    Nice to hear you enjoyed it! I had this on my SDA SRS's running with a Parasound HCA2200 and it did a good job. The guy I bought it from is big into doing mods and was going to mod the unit further but had other projects to work on.

GLWTS, hope it finds a good home.
  • daboyz
    edited January 2013
    One and only price drop. Seriously, you will not find a better tubed pre for this price. An upgrade will cost you a boatload more.

$160 and $215 respectively
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2013
    I might know someone interested. I will check with him and if he is I will PM you his info if thats ok (he's not a member here but at another site I frequent)
  • daboyz
    edited January 2013
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2013
    sent you a PM with my friends info.