2013 Tacoma Sound System Setup

Options
savage925
savage925 Posts: 9
edited January 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi guys, I recently purchased a 2013 Tacoma. I would like to keep the stock head unit so I plan on adding an Audio Control LC7i. I plan on updating the speakers:

Front
For the front speakers, I am not sure which series I should purchase. DXi, DB, or MM?

I am leaning towards the MM6501 (only because they seem to be the most high end)

Rear
The truck didnt come with rear speakers. But in the future I might try to add the Db651's or would you recommend something else?

Amp
Is there a Polk amp that would work well with this set up?

Sub
I should also mention that I already have a Sound Ordinance 8in. sub that I would like to use.

Is there anything else you would recommend with this setup?

Thanks
Post edited by savage925 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2013
    Options
    The MM's would be the best choice. They're Polk's best speakers and you should spend as much as you can on speakers as they're the most important part.

If you can, get the MM6501 components as that'll let you mount the tweeter separately and up high for a much better sound stage.

The best amp would be a good 4 channel putting out 50-75 watts per channel. Run them bi-amped as in your tweeters off the front channels and the mids off the rear channels. This will give you a lot better flexibility in tuning them since you can adjust the tweets independently of the mids.

And skip the rears. They don't add anything and you're better off putting that money towards a better set of speakers for the front.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • savage925
    savage925 Posts: 9
    edited January 2013
    Options
    The truck is an access cab but they didnt put any speakers in the rear door. Some guys have been modifying the door and installing speakers.

How much for the SR6500s? I have read some reviews online while people say they are good, they complain that they lack mid to low end, did you experience this?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Ridiculous! Ive been running the SR6500's since they came out and Ive been competing with them since 2005 and I can GUARANTEE you that they have plenty of energy in the midbass. No 6.5 is going to have good sub bass aside from 6.5" subs but thats not what these are. They pound at 80 Hz and easily play down to 40 Hz with authority.

The SR's are one of the best midrange drivers on the market and Ive competed against speakers costing a LOT more and beat them or at least came very close. The tweeters are their only weak point and thats because theyre so directional that theyre hard to get to work right. Plus they dont play very low. I put mine with a set of ScanSpeak Illuminator tweeters and man they really came to life! Id stack them up against ANY component set on the market.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D