??'s on amping Polk EX 3550 comps & Polk db690's

Kschultz76
Kschultz76 Posts: 59
edited November 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi everyone, this is my first time in this message board, but there seems to be lots of good input from people so I'm hoping to get some good information.

I am getting a set of Polk EX 3550 5.25" (rms 10-85) comp's for the front doors of my 97 olds cutlass supreme. Shortly after that I will be replacing my alpine 6x9's (rms 30) in rear deck with Polk db690's (rms 10-100) unless someone can talk me into the MMC690 MOMO's. I will be using a 4 channel amp to run all 4 speakers, but am having a difficult time choosing the right amp. I'm not so much concerned about making things ultra loud as I am about making GOOD CLEAR sound! I'm budgeted at around 200-250 to spend on amp itself. I have looked at the following amps as my most likely choices:

Rockford Fosgate 301x 40x4 @ 4ohm RMS
Rockford Fosgate 501x 65x4 @ 4ohm RMS
MTX Thunder 404 50x4 @ 4ohms RMS

Would the RF 301 be too little power? Would the RF 501 be too much power? I'm leaning towards the RF 501x, just concerned it would be too much power.

I already have a 12" blaupunkt sub with a 210 rms amp driving it in a custom ported box that I built.

Any educated input anyone out there has for me would be really helpful, thanks.

Kevin
Post edited by Kschultz76 on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited November 2003
    you could easily put 125 watts on all of those speakers
    if you can afford it, go with a 100x4 watt amplifier
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    60 x 4 is about the lowest you can go and still have it sound "nice"....

150 x 4 is about the highest you can go and not risk doing damage to the speakers (barring you do some slight modifications and cross them over in such a manner that allows you to dump assloads of power to them).

so ya -- 100 x 4 is peachy on those like cody said.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Kschultz76
    edited November 2003
    Thanks for the input guys, I've upgraded the amp choices I'm lookin at to the following choices:

Rockford Fosgate Power 551x 70x4 RMS
    Hifonics Zeus Z6400 85x4 RMS
    Hifonics Apllo Son of Olympus 75x4 RMS

My fiance gets to make the final choice bc she is getting it for me for xmas. I really wanted to get a 550x based on Cody's recommendation, but could not find one at an authorized RF dealer. My favorite is the Hifonics Zeus bc of its output, SQ, and look, but the RF has a yr longer warranty. We'll just have to wait and see what Santa brings.

If you get a chance to reply to the other two posts I put up I'd love to hear your input, one is about installation and wiring, and the other is about speaker selection for a set of 6x9's.

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    ya i'm with ya on that -- the zeus or the RF.

check out www.thezeb.com -- they might have that RF 550X for cheap -- they are authorized dealers.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited November 2003
    thezeb.com's rf selection has gone to ****
    but i would call them
    see if they have them in stock
    they might just not have them listed on their web site
    if u find the rf, go with it
    if not, go with the Zeus if you like it, you will not be disappointed at all
    -Cody
  • Kschultz76
    edited November 2003
    Yeah, I didn't see the 550 on thezeb's site. At this point I've given my fiance the power to make the final decision between my 3 finalists, so you'll all know after xmas what I got. Then the real fun of installing it and the EX3550's begins.....YOOOHOOOO!! Thank god my best friends garage is heated and insulated.

So I was at circuit city today to listen to the MMC 690's and the db690's and left before even hearing the db's. The sales kid first tried telling me that the db's were only 2 ways, then took 5 minutes to find a head unit that could get a signal to the speakers to hear something. Apparently he was seasonal employee who knew little to nothing about car audio......I should've given him the address to this forum.....hehe
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited November 2003
    lol, most employees of circuit city, seasonal or not, dont know much about car audio
    -Cody
  • Rogue Torino
    Rogue Torino Posts: 50
    edited November 2003
    most of them are limited to what they sell. and it's ussually the installer's that know more about it than the sales people. They are the ones who deal with the products on a daily basis. Knock tha sales person out for me would you! Probably a new guy who had no backgroud in audio at all. If you have a choice ask for the S and I manager for questions or complaints. They ussually know something about car audio. I should know i work there as an installer and some sales people just baffle me with thier stupidity and some actually know thier ****. test your salesperson before getting any of your real questions answered. If he can't answer a simple car audio question, correctly, try to get a different person to help you.
    -Joe
  • Kschultz76
    edited November 2003
    Joe you're right there are some very knowledgeable people working at circuit. This is actually the first time I've experienced such a problem there. I originally bought all of my Alpine speakers there for both my car and my fathers, and have gotten lots of good advice there. This new kid was just very green, and not prepared to talk to somebody who wasn't average Joe Consumer when it came to car audio.
  • Kschultz76
    edited November 2003
    Joe, a quick question for you.......since you work at Circuit......

Did you ever have any experience with the Polk EX369 speakers? I'm fairly certain Circuit used to carry them. I'm installing EX3550's in my front door after xmas and want a set of Polk 6x9's to compliment them. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Kevin