Stevan AudioArt E Series HD600 Cable

PrazVT
PrazVT Posts: 1,606
edited March 2013 in Headphones
In an effort to shut down my recent urge to replace my LSi9s w/ something new, I ordered a new headphone cable from Stefan AudioArt (E Series). Curious to see what a cable change does for the HD600s. I had my first extended listening session in a long time yesterday w/ some new music and it was nice.

Will update on my impressions whenever I get the cable.

Praz.
ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
Post edited by PrazVT on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2013
    What are you driving the HD600 with?
  • PrazVT
    edited January 2013
    SB Touch -> W4S DAC-1 -> NAD Integrated (volume independent preout) -> Schiit Asgard headphone amp. It's not super fancy, but it sounds better than the NAD integrated's headphone output.

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2013
    My E-Series cable finally came in yesterday! It needs about 150 hrs of burn in, but even after 24 hrs, it's pretty obvious that the stock Sennheiser cable was choking the HD600s. Despite some initial grain, the improvement in clarity and smoothness of treble is impressive. Wow. There is more but I will wait until the burn in is complete.

Also, I continue to enjoy this Asgard headphone amp.

Praz

...requisite photo...

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited March 2013
    Pretty amazing how horrible the stock cable is with the 600's and the 650. The 800 comes with a much better stock cable.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2013
    nspindel wrote: »
    Pretty amazing how horrible the stock cable is with the 600's and the 650. The 800 comes with a much better stock cable.

Yeah, I knew something was off the last few months; my listening sessions were pretty sparse as such. For $1500, I would hope the HD800s come a better stock cable!!

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2013
    If you really wanna hear what those headphones are capable of you should check out the Valhalla as well, I noted a material improvement in moving from the Asgard up to the Valhalla.
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2013
    If you really wanna hear what those headphones are capable of you should check out the Valhalla as well, I noted a material improvement in moving from the Asgard up to the Valhalla.

I've perused the 3 headphone amps above the Asgard a couple of times between yesterday and today - so I'm thinking about it. The only thing that's stopping me (and this is going to sound dumb), is that I am clueless about tubes / tube amps :)

Both the Valhalla and Lyr look really nice.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2013
    For the Senns the Valhalla is really the way to go. The Lyr is great for certain headphones like the HiFiMan stuff, but the Valhalla is superb with the Senns and my Beyers. Don't let the tubes scare you off, the Valhalla is plug and play...
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the insights on the Valhalla - my mid year bonus should be coming in this week so let's see :)

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2013
    The newer version is supposedly even better than mine as it allows tube rolling.
  • blairfrischx
    blairfrischx Posts: 259
    edited March 2013
    I upgraded from the HD600 stock cable to the Moon Audio Black Dragon shortly after I got them, because they just seemed a bit lifeless with the stock cable.

It's the first time I've ever noticed a cable upgrade making a difference. Definitely well worth the cost of upgrading.

I've had them driven by both the Little Dot MK III and a Darkvoice 336SE.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2013
    I personally find the traditional warmer sounding tube amps to be a bit too warm with the already laid back Senn HD6xx cans. The Valhalla is somewhat forward sounding for a tube amp, but certainly not bright by any means, and just mates perfectly with the HD6xx cans. The HD800 do benefit more from a traditional tube amp though
  • blairfrischx
    blairfrischx Posts: 259
    edited March 2013
    I personally find the traditional warmer sounding tube amps to be a bit too warm with the already laid back Senn HD6xx cans. The Valhalla is somewhat forward sounding for a tube amp, but certainly not bright by any means, and just mates perfectly with the HD6xx cans. The HD800 do benefit more from a traditional tube amp though

The Little Dot MK III isn't typically considered to be a very "tube-y" amp, kinda like the Valhalla. The Darkvoice 336SE has more of a tube signature, but I don't find it offensively warm when paired with the HD6xx series. I previously owned the HD650 (old version, withe silk screens), and I actually very strongly preferred them on the Darkvoice over my Audio-GD Compass.

I didn't experiment with cable upgrades with the HD650. I wish I had. Maybe someday I'll buy a pair again. :rolleyes:
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2013
    Well I went ahead and ordered the Valhalla :) Thanks for pushing me over the edge lol. Time to put the Asgard up for sale I guess.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • nspindel
    edited March 2013
    Don't you just love this place? We are so good at spending other people's money!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited March 2013
    I love my HD600's and was thinking about upgrading the cable. Thanks for the info! Glad it made a big improvement for you!
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2013
    nspindel wrote: »
    Don't you just love this place? We are so good at spending other people's money!

Oh yah .. folks have been spending my money here for the last 3 years :)

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2013
    cstmar01 wrote: »
    I love my HD600's and was thinking about upgrading the cable. Thanks for the info! Glad it made a big improvement for you!

It's a pricey cable, but thus far, worth it for the improvement in sound.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2013
    On a slight tangent ...

Right now the headphone amp is connected to my system via the NAD integrated's 'Tape Out'. Also, the 2 CH system is using MIT cables, while the headphone amp is connected via AQ Black Mamba II ICs. I connected the DAC directly to the headphone amp via the MITs last night and realized the difference; not necessarily for the best. The W4S DAC tends to be a bit too revealing / sharp on the treble, whereas the AQ cable tones things down a little. Connecting the AQ cable directly resulted in the same qualities as when it's connected to the NAD's 'Tape Out'.

...which makes me think that aside from another pair of AVT1s (which I cannot find anywhere btw), I could spice things up w/ whatever ICs I want. I have some Heros connected to my SACD player - may see how those sound. I think something that splits the difference b/t the AQ ICs and the MIT ICs would be ideal. How to get find that is another question..

Any recommendations to try? Not sure I'm willing to spring for another pair of Heros ...maybe Timbre or Toniks? Not heard them though.

Meanwhile, the E-Series cable has been opening up / smoothing out on a daily basis. Listening to the 24/96 version of Clapton's 'Slow Hand' and it's sweeeeet!

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited March 2013
    I got my hd-650's used with a Cardas cable, and after listening for a week tried to use stock-didn't like
    The head-fi sound science guys just babble endlessly on how nothing matters.
    But I too hear the cable, and a lot of other stuff upstream. Amps, DACs, etc.
    And I wonder what those guys are smoking.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2013
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I got my hd-650's used with a Cardas cable, and after listening for a week tried to use stock-didn't like

lol, agreed.

In other news, the Fedex guy showed up right as I was leaving for work. So the new headphone amp is here - will hook it up tonight.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • nspindel
    edited March 2013
    Praz, see my PM?
  • nspindel
    edited March 2013
    sucks2beme wrote: »

Oh man, you are so right. If you think cables touch nerves here, head-fi is so much worse. I was at the NYC head-fi meet last year, had my Eddie Current BA (since sold...) and LCD-3's with me. I'm setting up next to another guy, we start shooting the breeze. Then I reach into my bag and pull out a pouch with a couple of cables, and hook up my Moon Audio Silver Dragon to the LCD-3's. The dude I've been talking to sees what I'm doing, and he says to me, "Oh, I see you're one of those guys who thinks cables matter." Dude didn't say another word to me the entire meet.
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2013
    It's hooked up! Time to listen for a bit ... :)

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited March 2013
    reported.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2013
    Any feedback on the Valhalla, how do you like it?
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2013
    Any feedback on the Valhalla, how do you like it?

Yes, I definitely like the Valhalla. Sorry, I decided to listen for a few days before I provided my feedback on the amp. The biggest difference I can hear is that the mids / highs are a little easier to live with on the Valhalla. The Asgard isn't bright, but it is a bit more clinical. The Valhalla is slightly less neutral, but guitars & vocals sound more organic, and overall the sound is still clean.

For the music I listen to, the Valhalla's qualities work well. My listening sessions have been longer w/ the Valhalla, which means my ears aren't getting fatigued and I'm enjoying the music. So it's a keeper I think.

Home Theater:

2 Channel: