Logitech Harmony or other Universal Remote?

Options
apc
apc Posts: 779
edited January 2013 in Electronics
Happy new year all.

Been mulling over the transition to a universal remote such as the Harmony series by Logitech. What models do you own and prefer? What features appeal to you the most after using it for a while? My den setup only requires controlling a plasma tv, cable box, blu ray player, and av receiver.
Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
Post edited by apc on

Comments

• codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I have the older harmony, it seems they have released a new version. I love mine, but I'm starting to research something that I can use with my phone or I device to control everything instead. You would be happy with the older harmony, I'm not sure I'd be happy with the new ones button setup.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I really like the harmony one.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited January 2013
    Options
    +1 on the Harmony One, I have two of these and they work great. Easy to program and once setup they control almost every function of that device.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I don't believe there's another option out there that is really like the Harmony remotes. Logitech has pretty bad QC on their remotes and they tend to fail (my parents have had lots of issues with theirs and I've had a couple minor problems), but AKIK there's nothing else really out there so I"m stuck with Logitech.

If you're interested in using a smartphone or tablet then check out the Harmony Link, that's what I'm about to do.
  • badchad
    badchad Posts: 348
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I have a harmony 900 that I received for Christmas. Been using it for a week or two and I like it. The interface with a PC is pretty intuitive and simple to use. You can reprogram every button on the thing to suit your needs.

The only small issue I have is setting up the directional pad within specific "Activities". I wish opening a setting or menu for a different device would automatically switch over the d-pad.
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,958
    edited January 2013
    Options
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,048
    edited January 2013
    Options
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I use my tablet as the remote for my Roku and SBT. My MX-800 remote from B&K AVR was having some issues with software compatibility with Win7, so I invested in a new URC MX-900 remote. I need to get the software installed on my pc at home and go through the learning curve, however the URC remotes seem to be much better than the Logitech ones. The only gear that isn't in the URC database was my Jolida CDP and Mono-Price HDMI switcher, so I'll have to manually learn those.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • specd_out
    specd_out Posts: 505
    edited January 2013
    Options
    The URC remotes are nice, they have a nearly endless amount of things it can control. The harmony does not do all the extra bells and whistles but it does enough for most HT. I love the interface of the Harmony system, very easy to use, its nearly idiot proof. I started with a refurb 720. Had that for about 5 years and just upgraded to the One. Grabbed the last one at my store before they got discontinued.

I love some of the extra features on the One. Nice little touches that make my experience better.
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • apc
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Amazon's got the One for about $180. Best price I can find unless you know otherwise. Thanks for your input!
  • apc
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Ebay supposedly new for $160.
  • apc
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Anyone try the "Touch" model? It's the newer model which replaces the "One". I'm trying to multi task watching my Dawgs bowl game and surfing the net for sale prices...
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited January 2013
    Options
    No longer in production, but you can still find the Monster AVL300-S on eBay for under $100, and it comes with an RF IR repeater module. It's not the prettiest universal remote, but it is very well made (not nearly as "plasticky" as the Logitechs) and the inclusion of the RF IR repeaters make it an excellent value.

Personally I would not have a universal remote without an RF IR repeater. Without one, you have to aim your remote at your devices in order for it to work, and if you "miss" and things get out of sequence, the remote doesn't know about it until you sync it back up. With the RF IR repeater I can be across the house in a different room and send commands and never have to worry about a signal not being correctly sent to my equipment. I can be on the couch under a blanket with the remote and still operate it without having to point it at anything. You can add an RF IR repeater to some of Logitech's remotes, but by then you'll have spent nearly $300.

I've got two of the Monster remotes myself, and I've also given one to my parents, my best friend and my best friend's parents. They are all still working fine and they all love them. If you have any Z-wave lighting in your house, it can also control that too.

If you do look for one on eBay, make sure in the listing that it includes the Omnilink RF IR repeater. Some models came with a lighting dimmer control instead, and some sellers remove the Omnilink and sell it separately.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited January 2013
    Options
    The only problem with URC remotes is that they are mostly Dealer only.Hobbyist don't have access tot he software. For me I'm a certified URC programmer and really love their products. They smoke Harmony in every single way. But for the hobbyist I think the Harmony line are nice . Everyone should have Universal control of some kind , no one likes to use multi remotes.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Hamony One for the main system and an older Harmony for the bedroom here.
    But I always keep my other remotes stored nearby in case the of chance I need some functionality I forgot to add or can't find on either of the Harmonys.

My local shop uses URC products and I completely agree with Dan. They keep having to search me every time I leave the shop! lol
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,225
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Its no secret I love Harmony remotes. I have 3 older Harmony 676 and a newer Harmony 700. Just decide how many devices you need to control (plan on a few extra), then choose a Harmony that can meet those needs. I have yet to find a device that isn't in the Harmony database. Also, don't be afraid to order one of the 'refurbished' models on sale. My 700 was a refurb and it looked like brand new when it arrived (sealed box, no refurb stickers, etc)
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • jaritta
    jaritta Posts: 277
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Mantis,

Urc mx 450 with a base station, fairly easy to program and ultra reliable.

I also am a urc installer and completly agree with you about urc, I love their product especially with the ability to control lighting for cheap.

I think a good alternitave would be the mx 450 with the mrf260. The end user can program the 450 with a little learning and have good results. Although the mx450 isnt as pretty as the harmony the reliability is crazy for the money.
    Harman kardon signature 2.1 amp
    Denon 3312
    Epson 8700ub
    Chief mount
    Screen Innovations Performance Series 110in
    Kef q 500 (RL)
    Kef q 200 (C)
    Kef q 800 (Rear RL)
    REL T7 (SUB)
    mx 450 remote
    Sonos-Amp, Connect, Play5
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2013
    Options
    On the comment that an RF device is needed, that's not necessarily true with the Harmony remotes. It is true that IR requires line of sight and if you don't point it at a device while it's working you can get things out of sync, but the Harmony remotes have a feature that syncs that back up for you. There's a help button that you press if something isn't working right and it walks you through a series of questions until things get back on track, the questions are intelligently ordered and you're usually back up in a couple seconds. If you have alot of obstacles or have your gear in cabinets though you'll want to get an RF remote, and the Harmony 900 would do the trick.

Do the URC remotes have an interface like the Harmony for programming, where you just plug in your device info and set up activities and macros? What about the Monster remote Syndil mentioned?

I actually find everything on the software side good with the Harmony remote, and the functionality is perfect for me. I"m not controlling lighting or home automation, but can't imagine something in terms of functionality that another remote can do that I can't do with te Harmony, at least when it comes to controlling my AV gear. As is par for the course with their other products as well, my only issues with Logitech are on the hardware side and their general reliability.

I"m not saying the One is a bad remote, and mine has been fine so far, but I'd gladly pay an extra $100 to have a 'premium' version with maybe an aluminum or magnesium body with more sturdy buttons.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2013
    Options
    $180 is basically normal price for the One these days, if you're patient I see them pop up on Amazon all the time for around $130
  • dkg999
    edited January 2013
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    The only problem with URC remotes is that they are mostly Dealer only.Hobbyist don't have access tot he software. For me I'm a certified URC programmer and really love their products. They smoke Harmony in every single way. But for the hobbyist I think the Harmony line are nice . Everyone should have Universal control of some kind , no one likes to use multi remotes.

Dan - all of the stores I deal with package the URC software up with the remote so you can make changes, etc. URC will also let the consumer download the software for your specific remote as long as you can provide the serial# and proof of purchase from an authorized reseller. It's good to know we have some members with expertise with the software in case I need some advice!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I've had a Harmony One for 2 years or so with no problems. It's programed everything I've thrown at it.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • MADGSF
    MADGSF Posts: 603
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I have had a Harmony One for many years and it has not given me a lick of trouble. However if I were to do it again and could get the software for it I would get a URC MX-900. The Harmony is good but I cannot do that last five percent of customization to make it perfect. Unfortunately I don't think URC has programming software available for end users to setup their remote.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K
  • jaritta
    jaritta Posts: 277
    edited January 2013
    Options
    The urc software is fairly complicated to use, they have online training for their dealers. The mx 450 is all programed from the remote with no pc programing, It is a little limiting when it comes to icons and pictures for some devices however if you are looking for a non fancy remote that is just plain reliable than that is what i would recoment, and if you are really ambitious you could add urc light switches and set lighting scenes within the macro string to make lighting levels respond to button pushes.
    Harman kardon signature 2.1 amp
    Denon 3312
    Epson 8700ub
    Chief mount
    Screen Innovations Performance Series 110in
    Kef q 500 (RL)
    Kef q 200 (C)
    Kef q 800 (Rear RL)
    REL T7 (SUB)
    mx 450 remote
    Sonos-Amp, Connect, Play5
  • Syndil
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I"m not saying the One is a bad remote, and mine has been fine so far, but I'd gladly pay an extra $100 to have a 'premium' version with maybe an aluminum or magnesium body with more sturdy buttons.

The Monster remote has a low-resolution screen on it which doesn't look nearly as nice as a Harmony's, and it is not a touchscreen either. You press physical buttons next to the labels on the screen. But under the hood I think it basically is a Harmony. On the back of the remote there is a logo printed on it that actually says "Harmony Technology." It does have the same Help button on it you mentioned for syncing it up if it gets out of sync, that asks you a few Yes and No questions as it does things.

But IMO, once you get used to not having to pick up the remote and aim it to get it to work, and not having to ever worry about a command being missed... it's just soo much better that way. Just being able to leave it lying wherever it may be and press the buttons on it without having to actually pick it up to point it is something that I would miss if I didn't have the Omnilink repeater. Especially handy if I'm eating.

As far as build quality goes, it's certainly the best remote I've had when it comes to looking sturdy and feeling solid. The underside of the remote and the buttons are matte plastic with a fine-textured, almost rubbery feel to it, and the front of the remote is covered with a black brushed-aluminum fascia. So it doesn't feel like it's made from plastic at all, and it doesn't creak or anything when you press buttons, which also feel very sturdy. If you can get passed the screen looking like it came off a '90s era cell phone, the rest of the remote is quite excellent.

So it's not 100% perfect, but I've yet to see the perfect remote yet. If build quality and feel is what's important to you, I think you'll find it much better than the Harmony. I really, intensely dislike shiny plastic myself. Nothing shouts cheap and chintzy louder than shiny plastic IMO.

Here's an eBay listing with some hi-res pics:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Monster-MCC-AVL300-S-Home-Theater-and-Lighting-Remote-Controller-w-Omnilink-/261133872428

The screen is simulated in those pics--it doesn't look that good in reality. :P

• MADGSF
    MADGSF Posts: 603
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Not sure about the general public but I program PBX phone systems for a living and would have zero problems setting up a URC remote. If only URC would let me have the software when I purchse the remote they would have a new customer.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,006
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I bought a GE learning remote in Home Depot for a cool $15.00. It can control 8 devices, I only need it to control 4. It took me about 45 min to program all the functions I needed. Now my TV, cable, blu-ray, avr are a snap to control. Unless you need a ton of control options I can't see spending the kind of money the Harmony & others command. It's the best $15.00 I ever spent for my audio/video system..
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • apc
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I bought a GE learning remote in Home Depot for a cool $15.00. It can control 8 devices, I only need it to control 4. It took me about 45 min to program all the functions I needed. Now my TV, cable, blu-ray, avr are a snap to control. Unless you need a ton of control options I can't see spending the kind of money the Harmony & others command. It's the best $15.00 I ever spent for my audio/video system..

Excellent, but does it allow one button setup for events such as 'watch a movie' or 'listen to radio'? That's a big driver for me as some members of my family are tech-challenged and cannot figure out how to setup for a movie. If I'm not home, it's an issue.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Yeah, I really can't imagine life in my house without an activity based remote.
  • dkg999
    edited January 2013
    Options
    MADGSF wrote: »
    Not sure about the general public but I program PBX phone systems for a living and would have zero problems setting up a URC remote. If only URC would let me have the software when I purchse the remote they would have a new customer.

I checked into this prior to buying the URC MX-900 remote. All of the audio/HT dealers that I have bought from here in the midwest will burn a copy of the editor software for your specific URC remote and provide that to you. My dealer of choice even took my list of gear and did the basic configuration of my remote and software for me. I called URC, and if you have the editor software from your dealer it will do automatic updating and get to the most recent database. If you have a URC remote and have the serial# and copy of your purchase receipt then they will let you download a copy of the editor software. Initial impression is that the editor software will take some time to get proficient with, however it's not overly complicated.
    DKG999

• Syndil
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I got curious and looked up URC... Do they make any remotes that aren't huge and/or hideous?