amp spazing out

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited November 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
hello again, I finally got the streetwires connectors and the monster wire in da car and everything was groovy for the 15 minutes it worked properly. Now if I go above 20 on the volume the amp either turns of real quick one on a while or just starts flashing on and off. When it does the second thing, the driver side speaker starts thumping. What gives? The speakers are JBL 5.25" and it's a profile amp. Help! Also, if I turn the bass on the deck to all the way off (at 12) I can get to about 23 on the deck volume. The gain is only up like a quarter of a turn, and it worked fine for a short bit.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Fireman99
    Fireman99 Posts: 129
    edited November 2003
    Did you double chech to make sure you have no "stray strands" of wire that might be vibrating and touching another terminal that woud drive an amp nuts.
    Dan
    Recever AVR 8000
    Amp PA 4000
    CDR 26
    Mains RTI 150 Bi wired
    Center CSI 40 Bi wired
    Surround FXI 30
    Rear RTI 4
    Sub PSW 140
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2003
    Could be a bad ground. Check all your connections, make sure that they are tight and clean (i.e.: no loose strands like what was already mentioned).

You could also have a bad speaker that is either grounding out a voice coil or maybe a tinsel lead.

Make sure you have the amp power hooked up properly too.

I don't think it is an amp problem because you said it works until you hit a certain point. I'm leaning towards a bad connection that is making the amp's fault protection circuitry trigger.

If it is a bad amp well, no sense in getting mad about it. Get it out and get it replaced. Sometimes you just get a bad component, it happens. But I'd check the connections first.

Also, check the connections at the amplifier. One single little strand of copper crossing from positive to negative or vise versa will cause a ground fault. Make sure no wires are crimped by any interiror panels, nuts bolts or screws too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2003
    thanks, I went over all the connections today and turns out that the + connection on the woofer became loose. Hooked it back up and it's all good. Next week I tackle the sub boxes, hope it goes well. Peace.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Fireman99
    Fireman99 Posts: 129
    edited November 2003
    Your welcome glad you could locate the problem and fix it.
    Crank it up and enjoy
    Dan
    Recever AVR 8000
    Amp PA 4000
    CDR 26
    Mains RTI 150 Bi wired
    Center CSI 40 Bi wired
    Surround FXI 30
    Rear RTI 4
    Sub PSW 140