THX a must?

Options
Telemundo
Telemundo Posts: 45
edited November 2003 in Electronics
Hi, i've been on the site for a couple of weeks looking for suggestions for receivers. I'm gonna get the RTi8s for fronts, CSi5 for center, FXi3 for surrounds, and SVS PCi20-39 for sub. I already bought the Harman Kardon AVR230 and am looking at upgrading for the AVR630 for $820 instead. I checked out the comparable Onkyo products and noticed the SR801 and SR901 are THX certified. Is the AVR630 by H/K able to keep up with the SR801 and SR701? The wattage output on the AVR630 is only 75 watts/channel vs. SR701/801 @ 100 watts/channel. Alot of you have told me that H/K makes some kick **** receivers. Any other suggestions? If i do go with the AVR630, i can always get separate amps for it rite? Does this mean i have to get more than just one amp because most of the amps out there only support 2 channels. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Post edited by Telemundo on

Comments

• dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I think thx certified tells you that the product is well built, but there are cheaper thx products that sound bad, you get what you pay for. As long as the avr has preamp out puts you can use muti amps, thats what I did till I got a pre-pro. ps I had a Kenwood thx avr it sux!!
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Does this mean i have to get more than just one amp because most of the amps out there only support 2 channels.

You can buy an amp that supports 1 channel (monoblock), 7 channels, or any number inbetween.

As for THX, yes there are benefits to using a receiver that is Thx certified, but that does not mean that a receiver without the certification is going to sound bad. a THX certification means that a piece of equipment has met certain design/performance criteria.

This quote was copied from the Thx website and may explain it a little better than I can.
    THX Certified Home Theatre products deliver cinema-quality picture and sound to home environments. Through optimized audio-visual technology and speaker placement, you get a movie experience at home that's as faithful as possible to the director's design.

You can find a lot more info at http://w.thx.com/mod/products/homeTheatre.html#about .

Keep in mind that there are quite a few fantastic receivers on the market that do not carry a Thx cert. Thx is not an guarantee of good quality.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • thehalo8
    thehalo8 Posts: 127
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Well here is a link to the thread I started a few weeks ago. It should give some more information on your THX questions. I have posted answers from THX and Onkyo whom answered my questions. I hope it helps....

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13453
    Mains: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
    Sub: Polk PSW505
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
    TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
    DVD: Sony DVP S5300
    Protection: Monster HTS 3600
    Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2003
    Options
    THX, schmeee-HX

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Ed Zachry.

On a side note, don't let the difference in 75 and 100 of the *same* watts influence your decision. The difference is so minor, you probably wouldn't even notice.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited November 2003
    Options
    yes recever power is over rated they might have 100 wpc but very little headroom. i hade a onkyo 787 100 wpc @6 channels then i got a 125 wpc channel 7 channel amp and the differance is like nite and day. any othe r equipment besides pre amps you are wasteing your money.
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I would say no. It is sometimes a bonus but not nessassary. Many great amps do not pay for THX certification but are as good or better. If you are looking for a great amp, do some research on sites like http://www.epinions.com or http://www.audioreview.com.

Good luck. :)