Starter turntable

Bigbang
Bigbang Posts: 233
edited January 2013 in Electronics
Any opinions on the best starter turntable?
I like to listen, tinker, listen and repeat.
Post edited by Bigbang on

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited December 2012
    Pro-ject, Rega, Music hall, Denon, Marantz have starter TT

Got a budget?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited December 2012
    Audio Technica AT-LP240-USB $400-500 ( cartridge not included)
    Pro-Ject Essential $300-400 (comes with cartridge)

So the Audio Technica will be easier to get going. all the weights,height, anti skipping stuff is numbered.
    Pro-ject used the weight and string ( dont know what it is called). It will take a few tries to get right.

Different cartridges use different weights, I find having numbers and markers easier to use.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited December 2012
    How much do you want to spend?
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Pro-ject, Rega, Music hall, Denon, Marantz have starter TT

Got a budget?
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Bigbang
    edited December 2012
    For just a starter I'd like to keep it $200 if possible. I really have no idea. My last turntable was inherited from my brother 20 years ago and it was a technics. I'd like to find a perfect vintage one at a garage sale but wouldn't everyone. I'm not sure i very excited about newer turntables but I'm keeping an open mind.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2012
    200? You're going to have to go "used" in that range. Maybe something Technics. Or how about something that will get tomatoes thrown at me: A Realistic LAB 400 or 420 series. Certainly the best the Shack ever had to offer. Not the greatest, but they are fairly reliable, probably CEC TTs?

Also some decent Pioneers in that range!

Maybe some of the more "sane" TT guys can chime in here. Not those of you with the 50 lbs translucent acrylic platters. You can't "play" in this "range". lol

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Bigbang
    edited December 2012
    Thanks cnh! That gives me a good place to get started.
  • crouse
    crouse Posts: 34
    edited December 2012
    My wife gave me a Stanton TT from Guitar Center for Christmas (our son works there). It's the T.92usb model. Retails for $300, but they have a couple or three models that are lower priced. It sounds ok to my ears, could probably benefit from a better cartridge. It seems to be surprisingly well built, very heavy. If you have a Guitar Center in your area, you might be able to audition one. Good luck.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited December 2012
    Yea some of the old ones are still considered to be very good.
    You can start watching Craigs List, Pawn Shops, Goodwill, blah blah

Don't forget you will need to have a phono preamp either built in to the turntable, external, or on the preamp/receiver inputs

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

or

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-PL-990-Automatic-Stereo-Turntable/dp/B00009QORL/ref=sr_1_240?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356941218&sr=1-240&keywords=turntable

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOPHILE-1979-REALISTIC-LAB-420-DIRECT-DRIVE-STROBOSCOPE-TURNTABLE-W-BOX-NICE-/300836874916?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item460b466aa4

I like the ones with the standard S tonearms so that I can put whatever cartridge I want

Now here is a good cartridge
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-OM-5E-Phono-Cartridge_2

Bigbang wrote: »
    For just a starter I'd like to keep it $200 if possible. I really have no idea. My last turntable was inherited from my brother 20 years ago and it was a technics. I'd like to find a perfect vintage one at a garage sale but wouldn't everyone. I'm not sure i very excited about newer turntables but I'm keeping an open mind.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • ErasmusBDragon
    ErasmusBDragon Posts: 113
    edited December 2012
    For that 200 you should be able to find a Technics 1200. It has a great arm and built like a tank,
  • Bigbang
    edited December 2012
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited December 2012
    Check thrift stores. I found a couple fixer-uppers for $10 each. One is a Pioneer PL-518 (very nice in its day), the other is a Technics linear tracking SL-J2 (which is working after just a little TLC).

There was also a Technics belt drive in nice condition for $20 that appeared to only need a belt and cartridge. I am resisting going back for that one.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited December 2012

Looks well worth a buck and a half.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2013
    I got back into vinyl two years ago starting with a used Technics SLQD-33 and a new Ortofon p-mount cartridge. Total investment $90. Begin with something like that and see if vinyl rings your bell. If after six months you find yourself craving more analog, then move up into the Rega or Project gear along with a nice budget preamp (SimAudio, Vista Audio, Jolida).
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited January 2013
    For that 200 you should be able to find a Technics 1200. It has a great arm and built like a tank,

Good luck with that.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited January 2013
    Technics made a bunch of fine consumer turntables, both belt and direct drive. No one pays any attention to the 1970s Technics belt drives (e.g., the SL-23 and SL-B2)... but that in no way reflects negatively on their suitability as good, solid entry level decks. They're cheap and well worth considering if you can find a nice one locally for a good price. The non Quartz-lock, electronic speed control Technics turntables (e.g., the aforementioned SL-B2) have a tendency to have dirty speed adjustment pots, causing the speed to vary. This is a quick and easy "repair" with a can of DeOxit and a screwdriver or two :-)

Thorens and Philips decks of the mid/late 1970s are also fine entry level belt drive turntables; their low-mass arms require high-compliance cartridges (somewhat hard to find nowadays).

There are many (many) good choices.

A couple of generic comments about buying turntables used.

* BUY LOCAL if at all possible. 99.999997% of the world's population does not know how to pack and ship a turntable properly.
    * Check for play in the arm bearings; check for 'trueness' of the arm and head as well if possible (bad things happen to delicate moving parts over decades of use and - particularly - abuse).

My daily driver is actually a dump-find Technics SL-Q2 with a Denon DL-103. I own an arguably much better modern belt drive tt, but its arm isn't heavy enough for the super-low compliance Denon :-P

spinnin2.jpg
  • specd_out
    specd_out Posts: 505
    edited January 2013
    For that budget I would go vintage. My dual 1257 is nothing special. but I got it free just needs some minor repairs. Its nice not to have everything brand new. Adds flavor IMO.
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited January 2013
    Still have my old Dual 1229 from 73! Still in good shape too! Pretty good equipment in its day!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited January 2013
    FWIW (and please take this with a big grain of salt, it is just my opinion...) I am not a huge fan of the vintage Duals. They just strike me as un-necessarily (mechanically) complicated.
  • mister pig
    mister pig Posts: 28
    edited January 2013
    Agree with everything mhardy has to say. At that price point you are going to be looking for a vintage turntable from a mainstream consumer electronics manufacturing company, preferably in their heyday and not when they sold out and cheapened stuff up. Something along the lines of a late 70's or early 80's era Yamaha, Kenwood, Pioneer, Technics, Sony, or what not. With any luck you might find a person who restores tables or is in the process of upgrading and has a gem for sale. If you do find one on CL or a thrift, be sure to budget for a new cartridge, or at the very least a new stylus. Change that right away and know that you have one in good shape and not a worn out one that will damage your vinyl.

Regards
    Mister Pig