dbpoweramp v. mediamonkey (ripping CD's to FLAC)

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
edited December 2012 in Going Digital
How much difference is there between using Media Monkey to rip CD's to FLAC v. dbpoweramp? I have the paid version of Media Monkey and my trial period of dbpoweramp is up and I am curious just what it does better than MediaMonkey. I am not against buying it if its worth it, but would prefer to put that 40 bucks elsewhere if I can.

I dont plan on doing anything other than ripping CD's with it and playing them back through XBMC or Media Monkey on my computers.

Thoughts appreciated.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• michael1947
    michael1947 Posts: 775
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I just ripped some cd's to FLAC w the Monkey this weedend and it locked up on me...free version. I ended up ripping the rest to WAV via Windiows Media player and for better or for worse it works flawlessly...so why do I
    "monkey" around with others???
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I know dbPowerAmp uses the AccurateRip system to verify that you have accurate rips, not sure about Media Monkey.

I use dbpoweramp with full confidence that I'm getting bit perfect rips.
  • fjross
    fjross Posts: 183
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I'll cosider myself pretty much computer illiterate compared to others on this ssite. I had no issues ripping over 300 cds to flac files. The one thing thatI noticed was after ripping over a dozen cd's in a row, that the ripping time would increase. The remedy that I found was to close and reopen the program and I would be back in business again. I would not let this issue make you shy away from Poweramp, I would highly recommend it.

Dave
    Mcintosh MC-501 mono blocks
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun biwire speaker interface
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk 3.1 TL's mint/stock (purchased new)
    Polk SDA-2's
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited December 2012
    Options
    The paid version of MediaMonkey features AccurateRip and has far more features for organizing your library than dbpoweramp. There is no reason to use separate programs for ripping and organizing your music.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/information/gold/#securerip

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • michael1947
    michael1947 Posts: 775
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I didn't know that about the Monkey and I know that the organization of our music is probably one of the most overlooked and under talked about subject on the forum. If you can't find what you want to play what good is your rig.:neutral: I'll look further into the paid version of the monkey. Thanks
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Syndil wrote: »
    The paid version of MediaMonkey features AccurateRip and has far more features for organizing your library than dbpoweramp. There is no reason to use separate programs for ripping and organizing your music.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/information/gold/#securerip

Yipee!!! That was kinda what I was hoping to hear!

Now just need to set it up (since I havent ripped using it since I got the paid version)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)