Passing a wire when disaster strikes...

Options
joeparaski
joeparaski Posts: 1,865
edited December 2012 in The Clubhouse
So I decided to finally install the fancy pants HDMI wire to my projector. Using clips and screws I ran the wire neatly along the ceiling of my man cave when I pierced a water pipe! Needless to say I was horrified....water gushing out down the wall, on the carpet and on me. I rushed to shut off the main water valve which was in the back room, behind the tool box, behind the storage shelves....accessible only be lying down on my back and reaching under the shelving to the valve at the lower part of the wall.

Of course the only thing going through my mind during this time is how much damage is there gonna be and is the spray getting worse and is it spraying on my gear?

With the valve finally closed I rush back grabbing a bucket and towel along the way. The water spray had stopped and luckily had not touched my gear.

The cleanup process is underway.

Moral of the story....I'm not sure. I'm too depressed right now.

Joe
Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
Post edited by joeparaski on

Comments

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Moral of the story..... Water shut off valve should be readily accessible.
    duh.gif
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    edited December 2012
    Options
    +1 ^ Always have a clear path to ALL shut off valves.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I've got a deal with my water. I dont go where its at and it doesn't come where I'm at. Sounds like you have a mess. This is three Polkies with water issues and one with a furnace dead. Ya'll be careful out there.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,314
    edited December 2012
    Options
    monepolk wrote: »
    +1 ^ Always have a clear path to ALL shut off valves.

IME [not mine, I was the guy who did the restoration], you might want to add that one may want to know where they are to begin with.

Joe, best of luck for a quick and painless recovery with no anger from the audio Gods.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I feel for you my man. My Mom's house flooded Thanksgiving night and she didn't find it til the next evening. Over $22.000 in damages !!!! We are in the process of putting it back together now.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited December 2012
    Options
    This may be a good reminder for all of us to check the hoses on the washing machine and clean the lint from inside the dryer plus change the battery in the smoke alarms.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Yikes man... that's rough. How long were the screws? That's very unfortunate. Sometimes stuff is real tight above a ceiling in a basement area.

Good luck with the clean up.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited December 2012
    Options
    What am I missing here ? How do you pierce a water pipe securing a wire to the ceiling ? Did you use 2 inch long screws ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited December 2012
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    What am I missing here ? How do you pierce a water pipe securing a wire to the ceiling ? Did you use 2 inch long screws ?

Here is a picture with the section of pipe replaced with plastic piping.
    ceiling.jpg
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    edited December 2012
    Options
    That's seems to be how things go, if you were looking for that water line you would have had a heck of a time finding it.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited December 2012
    Options
    What luck! FWIW...At least you know where your water line is now!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Just curious big guy, the copper pipe is a flat end that needs to be sweated, but it looks like you have a threaded end on the plastic pipe. How did you make that connection ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Tony, I think he used a product by sharkbite (or a similar brand). Designed to make copper repairs easier without having to sweat new fittings. Personally, I prefer to replace copper with copper but not everyone is comfortable using a torch up in their ceiling. It can be unnerving.

Joe, glad to hear you equipment was safe. It could have been a lot worse.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited December 2012
    Options
    sharks bites are di-electric and you get no corrosion from electrolysis, no harm in using them for repairs/installs, but the are a loose fitting, whatever you connect will be able to spin, so if you have something with threads, you need pipe coming from a sweated joint, me and my old man learned the hard way when we tried to put a low cost shower spigot in, only to have the pipe spinning as we tried to thread to the adapter on the end, now that i am an actual plumber and can sweat a pipe i may re-do that for him
    sharks do fail at a a lower pressure than sweated, but even so you will never have the kind of pressure to break one, also sweating in a ceiling is not a huge threat if you tack up some flashing as a heat shield
    also happy your gear was unaffected
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Every month "The Family Handyman" magazine has a page of "Great Goofs" stories. They pay $100 for each story that gets published.
  • ErasmusBDragon
    ErasmusBDragon Posts: 113
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Man I feel for you, good luck.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited December 2012
    Options
    We use that PEX style piping all the time at work to repair old pipes and it's great. It beats standard PVC any day, and they do have very easy and secure connectors these days.

Good luck with the clean-up!
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Bummer but glad you saved the gear.
    You should do like Pepster and keep all of your plumbing in a small shed out in the backyard.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!