Any Digital Cable Users out there?

Options
ziggy0809
ziggy0809 Posts: 18
I have Cogeco cable, and a box I have the potential to buy has the SPDIF out which I was going to use with an RCA/Optical converter to put into my AVR - I was wondering if anyone else is using the SPDIF on their cable box (as opposed to the standard L/R RCA jacks) and if they noticed any improvement in surround sound quality?

My current Cogeco box lacks the SPDIF out - so I'm stuck with 2ch hookup and dolby processing to get the surround effects I want.

Apparently they are going to be releasing Dolby DIGITAL boxes with the optical outs in the new year - to finally come in compliance with their claims of being a full digital provider, which is a bald faced lie at the moment!

So any comments from people using the SPDIF would be appreciated!

Cheers
Z
Post edited by ziggy0809 on

Comments

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited November 2003
    Options
    my time warner digital/hd box has a digital coax output which i use. however, only the digital channels and hd channels actually have "dolby digital", the normal channels do not, so i use prologic II or dts neo 6. in my opinion the digital signal is MUCH better. the sound is much cleaner and fuller.

i guess just be warned that most of the major broadcast channels are not going to have a digital signal unless they are HD.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited November 2003
    Options
    also be warned that the stations that do not have a digital surround signal do not have a digital signal at all, and you will need to have an analog interconnect in addition to your digital interconnect to get audio from all stations.

this is just with my cable box though, maybe other ones convert, but I doubt it
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited November 2003
    Options
    same with me. i have to have both digital and analog connections. analog is NOT converted, so it is extremely convenient to have a receiver that automatically detects the best possible signal for an input and uses it. my old Aiwa receiver didn't and I can't imagin the hassle of having to swith inputs between digital and non digital channels. i'm assuming most receivers mainstream receiver do this nowadays though so not really a concern.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited November 2003
    Options
    that's an interesting note and thanks for the tip phantom. I bet my H/K receiver will do this but I havent looked into it yet.