Ok, newbie wants advice on a setup

Options
drumsnspace
drumsnspace Posts: 6
edited November 2003 in Speakers
Hello,

I am new to the world of mid- and high-quality home theatre. I recently purchased a Harmon-Kardon AVR 225 (check out the stats here:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hometheaterphiles/avr225.html )

I also bought a CSi30 center channel. I think I got a good price on the receiver ($220) but an average deal on the center channel ($175). I am running some expensive 16 guage wire, and am currently using my roomates Bose speakers as mains (not sure what model, but they are fairly old bookshelf speakers with 10" drivers, they sound pretty good with fair bass).

I live in a multi-unit townhouse and expect to do so for a long time, so volume (particularly bass) is not important. Actually, I would avoid deep, loud bass since it will just cause problems with neighbors. I would like speakers that make movies sound good, and so I can hear the jets fly around the room in Top Gun (for example).

I would like to know what set-up to go with? Eventually I will be buying my own mains, and of course I want surrounds. I don't think I really need a rear center, I am not sure what they do anyway.

I was thinking of buying a pair of RTi38's from Crutchfield for about $500 and getting a free 202 sub. I do not really want a powered sub though for the reason above.

Should I get floor-standing speakers? Or stick with the bookshelfs?

I could buy 2 RTi38's with the sub for Christmas and use them as surrounds until my roomate moves, and then either buy another pair for surrounds, or RTi28's, or FXi30's for surrounds.

Or I could buy the RTi28's or FXi30's for surround now and leave the main's for when my roomate moves out.

Or I could buy a couple of towers (no idea what kind) for mains and move the Bose's to the back for surround.

Or I could start over with one of those newer centers since the CSi30 doesn't seem to match very much that is currently offered!!!!!!

Or I could buy non-Polk speakers!!!!

I could use some advice. I feel very confused since I doubt there are any "bad" options, and probably a lot of pretty good ones.

Please let me know some advice given my situation.
Or
Post edited by drumsnspace on

Comments

• sully5604
    sully5604 Posts: 32
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I was in a similar situation. Had some Bose which I had purchased years ago, but wanted to step up to better gear. Didn't have all the cash to buy the full 5.1 set up. First thing I learned was that timbre matching the speakers is important for better blending of sound between the channels. I think this is very important for your front three. (mains & center)

With that said, I think the RTi38s would fit the bill well. If you wanted to spend a little more then the RTi70s are a great floorstanding model. There are some great deals out there on the 70's too. Each of these will match your center very well.

As you suggested, you could then move the bose to the surround position, until you could pick up other matching polks.
    HT System
    Mains: RTi70 bi-wired
    Center: CSi40 bi-wired
    Surround: FXi50
    SVS 20-39PC+
    Denon 3803
    Denon 2200

2 Channel system
    LSi15
    Adcom GFP 565(Pre)
    Adcom 5400
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    Options
    i'll only add that i believe you can get a $200 credit instead of taking a free sub that you don't want... and the 202 is not that great of a sub...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2003
    Options
    What Sully said.

You could get the '38s (and sub) and move the Bose (Interaudio series ?) to the rear. You could put the sub close to your listening position to help with the neighbors and turn it up or down depending on the music or movie and the time of day.

The '70s are real nice floorstanders. They'll cost a little more, but sound really good. If you mainly listen to music this may be the way to go.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • drumsnspace
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I did find some good deals on the RTi70's. Are floorstanding superior to bookshelf? I heard it was better to get bookshelf.

I don't really want the 202 anyways, I don't want a sub. So that suggestion about the $200 credit is great--I could always buy 2 RTi38's from Crutchfield and then use the $200 credit to get 2 FXi30's. That seems to be about the bottom-of-the-line system to put together (ignoring that the RTi28's are cheaper than the 38's).

Are the 70's really that much better? Volums isn't important, I just want movies and music to sound good. I am not comparing these things to very much, is the difference between the 38's and 70's really that noticeable to someone who isn't an audiophile?

Thanks a lot for the thoughtful responses.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Floorstanders are "generally" better than bookshelves for sound, however, you have to find more room for them and transporting them can be more difficult.

Without a sub, the 70's will help fill in the lower range a bit more without annoying the neighbors. If there was a way to afford the 70's and the FXi30's, I would go that way myself. The 38's are great speakers though.

If the choice is the 70's with Bose surrounds or the 38's with the 30's then I wouldn't be able to tell you not having heard the Bose. If you can add pieces in another year, I would go the 70's route.

Just my input.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • jmanolinsky
    jmanolinsky Posts: 6
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I'd look around at the Circuit City stores in your area. They have been selling the RTi's and FXi's at clearance prices lately. I picked up FXi30's for less than $150 a pair. However I returned them an bought 4 RTi38's for $69 a piece. I also bought 4 RTi100's for $169 each. I have the 4 100's as fronts, a CSi40 center and the the 38's for surrounds and rears. I like the RTi38's much better than the FXi30's. This 7.1 set-up sounds great and it didn't break the bank.

Hope this helps,
    Jman
  • jd45177
    jd45177 Posts: 35
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I bought my RTi 38's @ $70 a piece. They were the last two the store had. If I can find a couple more at the price, I would buy them just to have them, they really are VERY nice speakers.
    Mains: Polkaudio RTi70's
    Center: Polkaudio CSi40
    Surrounds: Polkaudio RTi38's
    Rear Center: Polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: Polkaudio PSW-404
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-414
    CD Player: Pioneer Elite PD-M59
    TV: Toshiba TZ-43V61
    Monster Power MP HTS 2000 MKII Power Center
  • drumsnspace
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Wow I wasn't finding prices quite that good on the RTi's, I found a pair for $500 which I thought was awesome considering in Crutchfield they run $400 - 500 each.

I can definitely pick up pieces in a later year, and I think the 70's will the way to go, I can wait and get the 38's to fill in for surround if you guys think they are that much better.

I don't think the extra space required will be significant...they really aren't that big? I don't like to have a lot of furniture...a bit of a minimalist...so I don't think it will be a big deal.

I have never had surround sound before but I remember watching Top gun at my friends place years ago and how awesome it was in the fight scenes to have it sound like planes were flying from behind left of you to front right. I miss that.

Any suggestions for where to find 70's or 38's that cheap besides Circuit City's (we have one nearby)? I did some web searches, no one besides Crutchfield carries 70's.

Is my center (CSi30) ok? I get the impression that it could be upgraded, but getting the 70's and 38's would be a much better place to make my next purchase.