sub box

sntnsupermen131
sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
edited November 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
well, im helping my friend with his jeep again, and trying to figure out how to make his box, sub, and amp waterproof
he doesnt know what sub yet
but heres what im thinking
very basic, but yet, not sure what it will sound like...
pretty much...there will be 2 separate chambers
breaking it down
you have a single sealed enclosure built to sealed specs of the sub
but then they leaves the sub free to water damage
so i was thinking adding(well not adding, it will all be one piece...but for simplicity) another sealed box to the front of the sub built to a size TBD
but it will have a plexiglass front
ie bandpass...but no ports at all
the front of the sub will approximately 5 inches away from the plexiglass(enough room?)
the amp will be mounted inside the sealed chamber with the basket of the sub(displacement of amp accounted for)
rca's, power wire, ground, and remote turn on will be siliconed
box will be made of 3/4" MDF, silicon on all inside seams, liquid nails used b/t boards, screwed in, bedlined, and carpeted
will this work?
or will it sound like doo doo?
any other suggestions?
-Cody
Post edited by sntnsupermen131 on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2003
    I havent had much experience with bandpass boxes bro, but from what I hear and am told, bandpasses, unlike sealed and ported, are very unforgiving in their tuning. Meaning, if theyre tuned right they work. If theyre off then they will sound horrid.

How about this? I know they make waterproof marine speakers; do they make marine subwoofers? If they do then you could just build a plain old sealed box out of fiberglass and the sub should be fine. I dont know if marine speakers sound worse than normal ones but you might wanna check it out.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited November 2003
    im not too crazy about bandpass boxes myself, in fact, i hate them
    lol
    but for his application, it seems like thats the only way to go about it
    and as far marine speakers, i just cant bring myself to do it, i havent heard them, but i think theyd sound like ****, mud is also an issue
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited November 2003
    Hmmm. Im not sure what to tell ya. You may just have to tell this dude that stereos vs. mud & water just dont work.

How 'bout something like this: a plain old sealed cube box. Mount it in the rear, passenger corner, just to the rear of the wheelwell. Face the sub straight down. Put spacers around the bottom edge of the box so the sub is about 3" off the floor. Leave one side open, in other words use only 3 spacers. I would think, leave the side facing the drivers side open. Mout it to the side of the Jeep. It wouldnt be totally waterproof but that should protect it a good bit unless he runs the Jeep into the river. What do you think?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited November 2003
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    ...unless he runs the Jeep into the river.
    thats the problem...lol
    hes getting lockers and a snorkel...
    -Cody
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited November 2003
    Why don't you just build him something easily removable? ie... fairly small simple box... amp with terminal plugs that can be removed in about 10 seconds and cap them off so they don't arc. I think that would be the most logical thing to do.
    Unless you were gonna use an all plexiglass box there's no way you're gonna get completely waterproof. Eventually if you use any kind of wood no matter how much you stain/waterproof it it's gonna start seeping and ruin the box.
    "The Big C"
  • Systems
    edited November 2003
    You could always build it out of fiberglass.

Basically I think you need to tell this dude that if youre wanting to go tearing down a creek and then come home and hose out your interior then you need to forget about any real hi end stereo system. Kind of like having a kickin' system on a surf board. The two just dont mix.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited November 2003
    i have no clue how to fiberglass...i could do it cuz i know its simple for a square box...but too much work involved...and im not getting paid...lol
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    what about a removeable box -- have a singel power wire going to the box -- the box will have the headunit , two coaxial speakers, and a single sub. the box will also have a 4 channel amp bolted to it (the amp will be running stereo on teh front stage to the two coax's, and the rear will be bridged to the sub).

this way he can just unplug the singel power wire and remove the sucker.

also - you can try to find a way to bolt it to the roof (or bar or whatever is up there) so that it wont get submerged in water.

i would suggest a head with a remote control though so that he doesn't have to reach behind him to change stations.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited November 2003
    was thinking about a removable box, but the amp would have to bolted to it, then it wouldnt be so removable, have to disconnect power wire, and rcas
    too much work
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    cody if the headunit is bolted to the box as well as the amp, then all you'd have to disconnect is teh power and ground wire in order to remove the box -- hell they even make quick disconnects for 8 gauge wire! .. it'd be as easy as "snapping" the wire in and out.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited November 2003
    he already has an alpine hu, no remote
    besides, it would be behind the back seat, and 9 times out of 10 the remote is too **** to reach
    the more i think about this, the less i think its going to happen...
    egh...ill have to think about this some more
    -Cody
  • geralopez
    geralopez Posts: 115
    edited November 2003
    Look at this link:

Bose link

click in: Performance in the extreme weather tested

weather tested
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited November 2003
    thanks, but i will never recommend anything bose to anyone...
    but i do appreciate your help!
    -Cody
  • geralopez
    geralopez Posts: 115
    edited November 2003
    It is not really a recommendation to use Bose. I'm just remembered long ago I saw a submerged speaker, it was a Bose speaker.
    Like you and many others: