EVS 500M Monoblock Amps (1175wpc ICEpower)

Options
Gaara
Gaara Posts: 2,415
edited January 2013 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
EVS 500M Monoblocks - Price: $1250 shipped

The EVS 500Ms are a pair of super high powered 525wpc (8Ω) monoblock amps based on the ICEpower 1000ASP module. These amps weigh only 7.5 lbs each, yet can output up to 1175wpc into 4Ω each while running slightly over room temperature. This module is used in many other high end amps, such as the Bel Canto Ref 1000s which retail for $4000 a pair.

They were built by Ric Schultz of EVS. As such they have a lot of tweaks over the stock units, including:
    Standard input jacks are OFC Soundconnections
    EVS Binding post bypass system (speaker wires connect directly to output wires)
    EAR isolation feet
    (Original) Volex 17604 14 gauge shielded power cords
    Internal damping of key components and case
As for the sound, these amps are the best I have ever owned. They sound smooth and refined yet have a transparency that lets the details shine through. They have authoritative control over bass exhibiting both slam and speed. They have amazing dynamic power, yet sound phenomenal at low level listening. You won?t be disappointed.

Condition:
I am the second owner and these are good condition, but not without blemish. The face plate of one has a slight scuff and another has some very light scrapes. The sides of both also have some very fine scratches which are difficult to see with the finish. I took pictures of all the issues and posted the ones that came out. See pics on Flickr for details.

Terms:
Accepting Paypal Gift, Paypal (add 1.5%), or USPS money order. These will be packaged well and ship w/in 48hrs of payment. I have additional feedback on Audiogon. For sale in the US only.

8290169013_ca503aaa19_z.jpg

8290168453_1c97d52fbf_z.jpg
Post edited by Gaara on

Comments

• Gaara
    edited December 2012
    Options
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    edited December 2012
    Options
    "Most reviews, including many of those appearing here on 10 Audio, describe how wonderful something sounds while minimizing the warts. I decided in this review to make it very clear to you how this amplifier compares to one of the best amplifiers on the market. The reason for this approach is simple: you buy a product based on its positive attributes, but you replace it due to its faults. The EVS 500M is a good sounding amplifier in absolute terms, and a leader in its price range. If you are shopping for a powerful amplifier under $5000, I suggest considering the 500M for your purchase."
    http://www.10audio.com/evs_500m.htm

I had to add that in above Gaara. This is a great deal for the amps he is selling here. You will not find this quality and power for this price new or used.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    edited December 2012
    Options
    "Most reviews, including many of those appearing here on 10 Audio, describe how wonderful something sounds while minimizing the warts. I decided in this review to make it very clear to you how this amplifier compares to one of the best amplifiers on the market. The reason for this approach is simple: you buy a product based on its positive attributes, but you replace it due to its faults. The EVS 500M is a good sounding amplifier in absolute terms, and a leader in its price range. If you are shopping for a powerful amplifier under $5000, I suggest considering the 500M for your purchase."
    http://www.10audio.com/evs_500m.htm

I had to add that in above Gaara. This is a great deal for the amps he is selling here. You will not find this quality and power for this price new or used.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Gaara
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Thanks erniejade, forgot there were any reviews on these exact amps. Lots of reviews on other amps that use the same modules, or even a 6 moons on how the 1000asp module that these uses are perfect amps.

I also forgot to mention that these are COMPLETELY silent when running in my system. I have owned ~30 amps/integrateds and these are by far the quietest with no music playing. These make them excel at low level listening, and have amazing power for when you want to crank it.
  • Gaara
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Price drop to $1200 shipped. Wanted these to find a new home this year.
  • Gaara
    edited January 2013
    Options
    These are now boxed up and ready to go.
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Have you compared these SQ wise to Bel Canto amps? If I may ask what are you replacing them with?

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • Gaara
    edited January 2013
    Options
    cubdog wrote: »
    Have you compared these SQ wise to Bel Canto amps? If I may ask what are you replacing them with?

cubdog

Cubdog,

No, but I have compared them to a few other similar IcePower amps such as the PS Audio Trio, Red Dragon Amp-1s, and a home brew 4ch IcePower amp, all of which use the same 200ASC module that the Bel Canto M300s use. The 500Ms use the 1000ASP module, same as the Bel Canto Ref1000s. I will post my notes from when I tested them tonight, instead of going off memory.

As for replacement, I am streamlining my audio systems, and for the HT I went w/ a Wyred 4 Sound Mint. Its a small integrated amp that uses IcePower that is replacing my EVS 500Ms, TVC pre, and RWA modded SB3.

James
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the information James. I'm a big fan of IcePower and will admit I'm intrigued by your amps and all that power. I'm just not sure I can convince myself that I would be taking a significant step forward with your amps opposed to my Bel Cantos. It's always tough when one hasn't heard a piece of gear.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • Gaara
    edited January 2013
    Options
    cubdog wrote: »
    Thanks for the information James. I'm a big fan of IcePower and will admit I'm intrigued by your amps and all that power. I'm just not sure I can convince myself that I would be taking a significant step forward with your amps opposed to my Bel Cantos. It's always tough when one hasn't heard a piece of gear.

cubdog

Cubdog,

Its is tough not being able to listen to them. I compared the PS Audio Trio, Red Dragon Amp-1s, and the EVS 500Ms a while back and did post a little on them which I just found. I knocked out the Trio as the Amp-1s were better for less $.

As for the Red Dragons vs EVS I preferred the EVS amps (and kept them and sold the Amp-1s) because dynamics were better, there was less background noise and as a result more low level detail, more deep bass and the soundstage depth was a little better. My Gallos just disappeared better with the 500Ms and anything that helps w/ that is a keeper.

I will look through my notes and if I have anything else to add I will. Honestly were not talking drastic differences here, the 500Ms were better, and I suspect would be better then your Bel Cantos, but its small improvements. Definitly diminishing returns w/ the higher end Icepower, but back then it was enough for me to justify the added cost. Now that I listen to music through my system <1hr a week...it isn't.

James
  • Gaara
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Can't find my more detailed comparison, but did find some additional info on the 500Ms in my notes:
    The amps have a gain of 25db, 105K input impedance and put out over 500 watts into 8 ohms. Standby power consumption is ~4w each.
  • Gaara
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Price drop to $1150 shipped.
  • Gaara
    edited January 2013
    Options
  • Gaara
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Lets try something more drastic for my Polkie breatheren, final price drop to $995 shipped. Thats less then $1/watt, for these phenomnal sounding, high powered, cool running amps.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2013
    Options
    ICEpower is still the best class D I've heard; great price on tons of good power.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Are all mono block amps, non-common ground amps? (prolly not) . . . Which are these? TY

G
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Yes. Independent power supplies in each chassis means non-common ground negative binding posts.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    edited January 2013
    Options
    pm sent
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Gaara
    edited January 2013
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Are all mono block amps, non-common ground amps? (prolly not) . . . Which are these? TY

G
    zingo wrote: »
    Yes. Independent power supplies in each chassis means non-common ground negative binding posts.

Guess that answers that, thanks Jake, as I had no clue.
  • Gaara
    edited January 2013
    Options