New SDA's from Polk!

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
At least the subject title made you look :D

What would be your design parameters if Polk decided to design a new SDA speaker? Mine are below...

I would want the SDA function done passively in the crossovers like the older generation SDA's, not in an external preamp box like they used for the SRT's.

Book shelf speakers on stands would be OK with me, at least as a start.

A passive radiator would be nice but whatever works is fine.

A tweeter similar to the LSi's (or one with that much detail) is necessary.

The sound should be aimed at the two channel crowd. Maybe it should be matched to an existing model that could be used for

The cosmetics should shout "I have balls and finess as well" when you look at them.

The SDA cable should not have connectors on them. Maybe special looking 5 way binders.

The SDA circuit should be isolated.

madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• madmax
    edited November 2003
    Uh Huh :D
    madmax

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2003
    Vifa Ring Radiator Tweeters

Powered Sub

Higher Efficiency (90db or better)

Carpet Spikes

Free shirt with every pair sold!!;)
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2003
    Silk dome tweet, period. The ring radiator ain't BAD, but it just doesn't draw me into the music, it lacks emotion, warmth. (imo)

Sealed design, period - beit passive radiator or a larger active woofer.

A more 'standard' SDA interconnect would be a plus. Even if it was a simple RCA connector or speaker cable, one could upgrade easily to match the other cables in their system.

If the SDA voodoo could be put in a SEPERATE (passive or active) box BEFORE the speaker cables - maybe that could open the door for use with NCG amps and monoblocks - without having to go the A1 route etc.

Keep the cosmetics simple, and straight forward like the old.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited November 2003
    I would save money by using cheap cables or other things that people who like to tweak can fix themselves.

They have to be totally passive to make me happy as an audiophile.

I have been wondering about the LSi's. I wonder if you could create an sda system using an lsi15 with a lsi9 mounted on the outside of each one (keeping the woofers the correct distance away from each other) with an outboard crossover. Sounds like something someone could put a kit together for??

madmax

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    :eek:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    edited November 2003
    :confused:

madmax

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    At least the subject title made you look :D

What would be your design parameters if Polk decided to design a new SDA speaker? Mine are below...

I would want the SDA function done passively in the crossovers like the older generation SDA's, not in an external preamp box like they used for the SRT's.

Book shelf speakers on stands would be OK with me, at least as a start.

A passive radiator would be nice but whatever works is fine.

A tweeter similar to the LSi's (or one with that much detail) is necessary.

The sound should be aimed at the two channel crowd. Maybe it should be matched to an existing model that could be used for

The cosmetics should shout "I have balls and finess as well" when you look at them.

The SDA cable should not have connectors on them. Maybe special looking 5 way binders.

The SDA circuit should be isolated.

madmax

Done, and Done! I am going to build them. I am thinking along the same route with a Nuetrik 4 conductor custom speaker wire. No brainier plug, and play. It will be easy on the amp, and will make the women happy with it's small dimensions:D
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2007
    active woofer
    smaller design
    less than 185lbs ;)
    TOTL crossover parts
    highest quality binding posts
    *retractable wheels LOL
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,571
    edited June 2007
    Id want that is 2" tall, 2" wide, 2" deep and available in black and white plastic only.

Thanks!

NVM - found it

td_singlecube_tcm46-1289.jpe
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    Id want that is 2" tall, 2" wide, 2" deep and available in black and white plastic only.

Thanks!

NVM - found it

I was thinking 1.5x1.5x1 inch deep:D
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Silk dome tweet, period. The ring radiator ain't BAD, but it just doesn't draw me into the music, it lacks emotion, warmth. (imo)
    Not sure about Polks version but the standard Vifa Ringer can be a nasty sounding little **** on some program material.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007

Thanks!

NVM - found it

Two stacks of 4 of these little beauties for each channel and you've got yourself a mini SDA but with the legendary sound quality of BOSE .:eek:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Two stacks of 4 of these little beauties for each channel and you've got yourself a mini SDA but with the legendary sound quality of BOSE .:eek:

Hey Hey Hey don't muck it up:p
    You have stolen my idea:eek:
    Thanks
    Ben