need advice on a kicker cvr 15

Options
prawnstar
prawnstar Posts: 3
edited December 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and was after some advice about what to do with my current sub (replace or make a ported box for it)

My current sub is a kicker cvr15 and to be brutally honest I think it sounds like wet sloppy bass farts. There is no depth, tightness or punch to it at all, just tiring, semi-loud indistinct bass wobbles.

I think the main stem of my problem is the severe lack of mid bass, my door speakers are stock :( to cure it I have just ordered some polk audio mm6501 which should be arriving today or tommorow!

Although the new mm comps with give me this 'controlled bass' I'm after, I dont think it will tend to my needs (be loud and low enough)

So here is my question :/

I have tried my cvr15 in a 4.5 cubic foot box and a 2.0 cubic foot box, both gave me a poor result in a sealed application. Someone said kickers are much better in ported boxes? Im willing to try it if that's the case, but I'm dubious...

So what sub/subs would you recommend for tight, punchy, clean, low and loud bass? :)

I want that clean smack on my back but I also want low bass that gives me a full body massage :)

Sorry for the rant, thanks in advance for any replies.
Post edited by prawnstar on

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Seems like you have a good amount of space. Before my 10's, I was using a JL 13W6v2. This is a very nice sounding sub with good impact. I had it in a sealed enclosure that was a little under 2 cubic feet. I just switched out because I wanted more usable trunk space.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • prawnstar
    prawnstar Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the response man, although I think I need to rephrase my question.

Im really happy with how my cvr sounds low end (40>), but sounds shocking anything above that. So im wondering if making a ported box would clean up the sound or is it really time to buy another sub. If I was to buy a new sub then I needs it to be fairly cheap as cash flow is about as arid as gandi's flip flop at the moment :/

Maybe my question should be

I have a kicker cvr 15, how can i make it sound tighter and have more impact? I have tried a small and large sealed box so far on a kicker zx500.1 amp.

Jl stuff is nice but too pricey in comparison to other brands IMO.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I brought up the 13W6v2 because you had asked for opinions on subs. JL is pricey, but they do have quality gear. I've had several of the W6v2 line and they perform very well.

Your subwoofer will not solve your need for midbass, but your on the right track with your purchase. As for the controlled bass thing, you can certainly have that from a subwoofer. For me, my subs hit pretty hard and they sound clean. The bass notes are precise and dont just all blend together in a sloppy way. Sometimes some components in your system may not perform up to your expectations or needs. It's just the way things workout sometimes. Some components will sound/perform better than others.

I am not familiar with how your sub sounds. Going ported will give you a good amount more output, but I don't know if it will get you the bass that you are after. I have run many Kicker subs, but that was many moons ago. I would give kicker a call and ask to speak to someone in their technical department. Let them know what you are after in your system, and see if they think its attainable with your sub. If it is, they can guide you in box type & size. I have called them in the past and they were always very helpful.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin