in car speakers

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited November 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
the in car i got are blown. i want to add an amp 4 channel and component 5 1/4 and then 6 x 9's all to run on the amp. i have subs already and i like the bass i get from them i want crisp clear highs and mids for listening to rock and metal but also want to have money leftover so that i can still go to the bars :). thanks for the advice. oh and where are good online places to buy. (pry spend like 700 dollars)
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    edited November 2003
    I really like Focal. I had never heard of them until I went into a local shop looking for amps and he let me listen to them and I was blown away! I know speakers are subjective and everybody likes different things but I did some research on the net and couldnt find much but every magazine review I found just glowed over these things. You should give them a look. They start around $250 a pair and go all the way to $1200.
    focal-america.com

They have them at CarToys.com as well so you can check out some pricing.

If they are too much for you then I would highly recommend the Polk/Momo speakers. I have the 6x9 in my truck and I listen to pregressive metal (Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Rush) and they sound great. They dont have a lot of crisp highs which I think is good since metal tends to get a little screechy at higher volumes. They are priced pretty good too. $200 for the 6x9 and $150 for the 5 1/4. Crutchfield.com has the Polks.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited November 2003
    odds are good the mm's wont work in his doors, BIG magnet, you may want to look into the polk db series and a hifonics amp... you can get a better price on the amps from www.speedsound.com, they also carry polk but you have to email their store to get the info. says polk won't let them put the info on the website, you can also go with crutchfield for the speakers.
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Systems
    edited November 2003
    You couldnt be more right about the size of the MM basket. Its huge. It took me 2 hours of cutting and prying and bending to get them to fit in my doors with existing 6x9 holes already cut out. I dont know what Polk was thinking! A 6x9 that cant fit in anything?! I would like to get the 5 1/4 MM for my rear so I would have a matching set but I dont think Ive got the strength for another all night hack-fest. Oh well, I cant complain too much, I think they sound great.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2003
    The Focals are nice but they are expensive. Very expensive!

I think that I would recommend the Polk Audio speakers though.

For the fronts I think that the MC525's coaxials would work well. Unlike the DB series, the MOMO Carbon Series tweeters will move so you can redirect imaging. They also have a larger tweeter than the DB which is good because it helps reinforce upper midrange to reduce tonal seperation and provides more power handling for those sparkling highs you are looking for.

For the rears, I'd go with the db690's. They aren't as robust as the MOMO Carbon Series 6x9's but they should have enough oomph to them to compliment your subwoofers and provide good mid-range fill without skewing the sound stage too much.

For an amp, I'd go with a good 4 channel like an Alpine MRV-F450 or a Kenwood KAC-8401 or a Hifonics ZEUS Z440 or ZEUS Z400EL. Most of them are fairly cheap but decent amplifiers with 50 watts per channel or more. Any one of them would do fine.

Polk Audio has a C400.4 amp which is a little too much power for the MC525's but 5 watts over-power shouldn't be an issue if you wanted to go that route.

Overall, I cannot be 100% sure of fitment because no one has said what kind of vehicle this is going in to. As far as online places to buy, that depends on if you want authorized dealers or not? An authorized dealer will have a warranty with thier equipment/ Unauthorized dealers are usually considerably cheaper but do not offer the luxury of a manufacturer's warranty.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    edited November 2003
    i think the mc 5 1/4's will be a good thing and i'll stick with the polk 6x9's the car is a 90 pontiac bonneville. the 6x9's just screw right up from the trunk would the mc 6x9's fit? if not oh well db's will do it. and those amps look good. sounds like a great fit thanks for the advice
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited November 2003
    oh i forgot one last question 50 x 4 is a good amp powering i don't want to do any less thanks again
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    edited November 2003
    Originally posted by Bliz_Gex
    i think the mc 5 1/4's will be a good thing and i'll stick with the polk 6x9's the car is a 90 pontiac bonneville. the 6x9's just screw right up from the trunk would the mc 6x9's fit? if not oh well db's will do it. and those amps look good. sounds like a great fit thanks for the advice

If they are bottom mount in the trunk, I do not see why any 6x9 wouldn't fit. You can go with the MOMO 6x9's if you like, I was just recommending the DB's because of your budget constraints.

As far as your amp needs, every amp I recommeneded fits or exceeds your criteria. I'd go with as much power as you can fit. Thos 5.25 inch speakers only handle 70 watts RMS so that is your constraint right there. Like I said though, that Polk C400.4 amp is 75Wx4 RMS but I don't see that causing an issue. 5 watts is not something to worry about. Personally, I'd take that Kenwood or Polk amp. The Kenwood is 60W x 4 and that Polk is 75Wx4. They will have plenty of power to play at the level you would like. The Hifonics Z400EL is avery clean amp but only 55W x 4. However, it should have plenty of punch to drive your system hard. I think one of those 3 would be your best bet. You can get the Kenwood or Hifonics from a discounted for less than 300 bucks but that Polk amp you are going to have to find retail I think and that could be expensive but most likely worth every penny.

• Systems
    edited November 2003
    sounds good i'll go with the db's and the mmc 5 1/4's and probably the kenwood amp. i have an excelon amp running my subs and i kinda like it. i might get the mmc 6x9's only if i get a wild hair but i like the idea of budget lol. thanks again i think i have found the right stuff.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    edited November 2003
    One thing about teh MOMO coaxial 5.25 inch speakers. I am not sure if it is a mounting depth problem or a grill clearance problem but you may have slight fitment issues. It's nothing that a spacer of some sort couldn't fix. I will look into it for you and offer whateber advice I can. But seriously, it is most likely a minor issue and will be worth the extra work to get it to fit well.

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    Bliz - wanna buy a pair of DX 6x9's ?

I wanna throw components in the old man's truck -- maybe like some 6.5" new db series ones or something like that... not too extravagant, not too cheasy either though.

anyway -- 75 shipped anywhere in the continental USA for a set of used but not abused DX 6x9's... if u want em you just ogtta give me till monday to mail them out - i can't take em out till the weekend, workin too damn much.

they've run off amp power since day 1 -- i dont think i've used head unit power on anything in any car in about 5 or 6 years... if you discount when i was broke and jsut had a 20 dollar Koss tape deck with two paper 6x9's running common ground. :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    oh -- FYI -- specs on DX 6x9's ("DX9")

"rated" rms = 50 watts.

actual rms in a sealed enclosure = 175 - 200 watts (crossed over at 70 hertz or above).
    actual rms in "free air" (door panel or back deck area) = 100 - 110 watts properly crossed over (at least 85 or a smidge more... you can cross them lower, but drop the power -- like cross at 70 and drop the rms power down to about 80 or 90 watts and you're fine).

this should be about the same as the new momo coaxial, minus the "aim-able" tweeter that the new ones have i guess.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited November 2003
    I have one of my sets of speakers running off my deck... it's a crappy set of pioneers that you can't even hear over the momo's...

lol, Koss
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Systems
    edited November 2003
    i think i will just buy all new with some christmas money and a lot of my own lol. thanks for the offer though and all the great advice. i can't wait till i finally get momo i've loved them for ever. thanks again
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing