wife cleaned projection

Options
bass addict
bass addict Posts: 17
edited November 2003 in Electronics
My wife decided to clean the RPTV without thinking. She cleaned it with windex and a soft cloth. I know in the manual it states to use water or mild soap if needed. Is windex going to damage anything or should it be fine? I just need to know if I am going to have any problems.
Post edited by bass addict on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    Options
    not sure about rpt's, but nh3 attacks the anti-reflected coating used on monitors and direct views.

i'd go back over the screen with cloth damened with distilled water...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    not sure about rpt's, but nh3 attacks the anti-reflected coating used on monitors and direct views.

i'd go back over the screen with cloth damened with distilled water...
    Jesus Tour, what is this, Chemistry class??? For us that aren't in the know, WTH is nh3? :p
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Tour2ma
    edited November 2003
    Options
    nh3 = ammonia

can you handle h2o? :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • brettw22
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Good lord......h2o is common enough, but I don't go around interpreting chemicals as their periodic values......(though I think that salt is nh22.....maybe)
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Table salt = NaCl
  • brettw22
    edited November 2003
    Options
    nerds.......;)
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited November 2003
    Options
    aka sodium chloride
  • bass addict
    bass addict Posts: 17
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I called the tech line at Hitachi and she said it shouldn't cause any harm. It is just not recommended to do it. I guess I'll let my wife stick around. LOL
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2003
    Options
    monster recalled their screen cleaner a while back because it had alcohol and was eating a few screens. oops! new, alcohol free kind is out now.
  • 4_everyman
    4_everyman Posts: 50
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22
    nerds.......;)
    Alas for poor Henry
    We'll not see him no more
    For what he thought was H20
    Was H2SO4! :eek:

Rgds,
    --pete
  • Tour2ma
    edited November 2003
    Options
    nasty stuff indeed. makes hcl look like nothing... then again there's hf...

based on posted photos, brett should know h2o2...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I've used Windex on my Hitachi big screens many times without any damage, now if I can't just teach the dog to quit bumping them with her nose.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited November 2003
    Options
    the wendex will soffen the scratch restance of the screen that is y you dont clean tinted windows with it.
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Looking for a good cleaner, I use one called Zani Glass. its made my a company called Crestec. It has no ammonia & claims to be enviormentally safe, it is made for glass, plexiglass, metal , chrome, laminates etc. I been using this on my 100 gal plexi glass fish tanks & the smaller 55 gal glas tanks for about 9 years & it works! This is the only cleaner that Id use on my large tanks. I tried it on my Mits 55" screen & awsome job it does. I just spray a very light mist on to a soft cloth & wipe the screen till its clean & rewipe with a seccond cloth. I use this on my pws 650 & LSI speakers keeps the gloss black shiny & clean. It claims to clean the surface than put a invisable protective sheild which protects the surface & be resistant to fingerprints, dust & dirt buildup. I buy this from our local appliance parts company here. Whatever you use dont spray the cleaner directly on to what your cleaning, you dont want it to run into your equipment.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    "Clear Guard" brand also works....any brand window cleaner, ammonia free, silicon based will do no harm to that material.

Eagle One, auto store brand, makes a tinted windows safe cleaner which would also do just fine.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • sachinsood
    sachinsood Posts: 46
    edited November 2003
    Options
    theres H2S if you want your teevee smelling neat too :p