Vinyl to digital conversion

drgalexo
drgalexo Posts: 159
edited December 2012 in Going Digital
Does anyone have any experience in converting their vinyl collection to a digital format? Can this be done using your existing turntable and get hi fidelity results?
Post edited by drgalexo on

Comments

• bmbguy
    bmbguy Posts: 416
    edited December 2012
    Sure it can be done -- your results will probably vary depending on your choice of equipment and software. You can even use a cheap computer sound card as an A-to-D converter -- but you might look for something better. Some software packages are designed to aid the process in recording, separating tracks for CD, etc. You can even do 'click' removal if you choose to go that route.

I've been slowly converting some of my vinyl to CD -- using a Waveterminal A/D converter and Wave Corrector software. It's great for 'saving' those albums that you'll never be able to find on CD. And if you think you can improve on the results, you can always do it again!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited December 2012
    drgalexo wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience in converting their vinyl collection to a digital format? Can this be done using your existing turntable and get hi fidelity results?

Yes. If you look there are some new phono pre's that include a USB port to connect to your computer (Parasound zPhono USB is one) for just this reason. There are lots of ones out there from names you recognize (Parasound, Rega) as well as from others you may not (Pyle, Art DJ). You still need to have a program capable of recording the data on your computer. I know that folks have used Audacity (which is free) to record the data and then save it out as a FLAC, MP3, etc file.

I believe there are better programs out there than Audacity, but its the one I can think of off the top of my head.

In theory you could connect your pre/reciever's pre-outs to inputs on your computers soundcard, but I think this method may not produce results that you would be happy with. I would look to take the signal digital as soon as possible (phono pre level) rather than running an Analog Signal through a bunch of other components. But like all things audio YMMV.

You can get totally high fidelity results and even use the programs normally to remove hiss/clicks in the end product.

One suggestion is if your going to do this, just record the entire side at once and apply any filters to remove hiss/click then cut it into tracks rather than doing these steps track by track.

Do a search here as I think this has been discussed a couple times.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • drgalexo
    edited December 2012
    Yes, I am finding the info., some nice units out there. BTW bmb, the waveterminal converter is no longer available.
  • bmbguy
    bmbguy Posts: 416
    edited December 2012
    drgalexo wrote: »
    BTW bmb, the waveterminal converter is no longer available.

I think it is, they just don't call it the "Waveterminal" anymore, and of course, it's been updated. It's now the U24 XL.
    http://www.esi-audio.com/products/?m=12

But there are many similar units out there, some with TT preamps built in as ES mentioned. I feed mine the line out from a receiver.
  • drgalexo
    edited December 2012
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited December 2012
    I use tape out of my pre amp to a Dell laptop via an RCA to 1/8" mini plug interconnect. I use the free program Audacity to record. I also bought click repair for any real poor condition LP's. Digital really makes the pops and clicks stand out. Per a thread at the Steve Hoffman forums, I reverse a track before running it through click repair. Something about how the transients look, less likely to be affected. If click repair isn't set to high you won't harm dynamics.

My hi-res vinyl rips sound awesome. Wish I had time to make more.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

EDIT. Just a tip, when recording I do an entire album side, then cut out each individual track in Audacity. Saves a bunch of time, and you can relax and listen without having to worry about stop/start/save/cueing, etc. Only thing you must do before recording is play the most dynamic track and set record volume so you are not clipping. You can somewhat salvage but IMO best not to have to fix clipping damage. Do it right and enjoy the benefits.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • drgalexo
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the info, I am checking out some of the preamps Enders talks about. There seem to be quite a few of these coming to the marketplace, clearly the wave of the future. I didn't realize you could go directly to the computer like that SComp, that seems too easy, lol. What system is that you use to wash your albums, that is one sick turntable, awesome.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited December 2012
    All depends on the sound card; some folks use pricey ones to achieve better results. I was impressed with how it sounded. The recordings are quiet and I record while on battery in case the charger adds noise to the laptop.

Thanks for the kind words, the TT project was an adventure that paid off well. I hand scrub my records with a MFSL record brush, and use a Tergitol 15-S-3 / Tergitol 15-S-9 mix in distilled water, followed by a distilled water rinse. I have two brushes, one for the Tergitol and one for the water rinse. I vacuum the records after clean/rinse with a Nitty Gritty record machine. Some folks still use hand wash with micro fiber towels to dry them.

A search will turn up more on Tergitol. It is a very inexpensive cleaning solution. I read where there is just one Tergitol solution that has qualities of the two I am using but cannot recall the ID number. The trick is finding it in small amounts. I got mine in a group buy (a quart of each) and still have plenty stored in the cool darkness of the basement.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited December 2012
    "Tergitol™ 15-S-7 Surfactant"

https://www.colonialscientific.com/OScatalog/index.php?cPath=878_18934_59752_72759

The Library of Congress recommends using a product known as Tergitol™ 15-S-7 Surfactant. Place 2 milliliters of Tergitol into a suitable container (glass, stainless steel type 304 or 316, fiberglass-reinforced polyester, polyethylene or polypropylene) and fill the remainder with deionized water. Then use any clean spray bottle and spray the solution onto the surface of the LP, wipe any excess with an eyeglass cloth or other similar soft wipe, rinse with more pure deionized water, then dry with another soft cloth. If you're using a mechanized cleaner, follow the manufacturer's instructions in pouring in the solution.

Read more: LP Record Cleaning | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5406105_lp-record-cleaning.html#ixzz2EOVt0jWE
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a