How to make it better

Options
Flintf
Flintf Posts: 4
edited December 2012 in Forum Testing Area
Would like suggestions on first steps I should take to make my system better. Started last year with what I could afford , but now would like to know where I should start to upgrade. Yes, money is an object. Want to start with upgrading a couple of speakers or sub. What's your suggestions? Thanks
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V671
Front speakers: Polk Tsi300
Presence speakers: Polk T15
Center speaker : Polk CS10
Surround: Polk Tsi100
Sub : Polk PSW 10
Post edited by Flintf on

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited December 2012
    Options
    The subwoofer. Go bigger Psw125 if you can. I wouldnt upgrade any of the other speakers since they are mostly timbre matched. Replacing the center or mains to something further up the line you may lose some transparency. Unless you replace center and mains together. But that gets expensive. Receiver would be next but your current 90w per channel is enough if your room isnt really big or you crossover everything at 80-100hz. Not knowing your budget its kinda difficult to make a upgrade suggestion.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Flintf
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Thanks , Will start looking at subs.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I would go bigger than the psw125 sub. Look at the 505 minimum and better would be the DSW line. Other brands to look at too would be HSU, SVS, Epic. After thats squared away, look at RTIA5's for the front with a A5 center channel. Then look at a new receiver with preouts after that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Flintf
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Thanks Tonyb, Think I will start with the sub. Right now Amazon has the 500 for $189 and the dswpro440wi for $297, either doable on my budget. The $189 for the 500 seems like an awful good price, but I understand its a much older sub. Whats your thoughts on which way to go.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Either sub will work but the 440 will be better on music for you if your going to use this system for music too. Plus the 440 will gel better when you start moving up the chain on the front speakers.

When looking for new gear, always try and buy a few steps up the ladder as best your wallet provides. This way your not constantly having to change every piece in the chain when you upgrade something else.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited December 2012
    Options
    For the sub, go right to the DSWPRO550wi - leagues ahead of the PSW505 and you'll appreciate having the 10" driver over the 8" one of the 440.

Newegg.com OFTEN has the 550 on sale for $279-$299 (currently $500!) with FREE shipping and NO tax! I got mine there for $299 with a FREE pair of Polk UltraFit 3000 headphones (sell on this site and at Best Buy for $100 + tax). It's an OUTSTANDING sub - check the reviews all over the 'net for both the DSWPRO550wi and the DSWPRO500, they are the EXACT SAME sub except that the 550wi has wireless capabilities. They are the HIGHEST RATED of all Polk subs. Also, you can log on at Newegg and have them send you a price alert email telling you when your desired item hits your desired price point.

Next, step up to a more capable center channel - never skimp on the center, it's the MOST IMPORTANT channel in any HT application. I found that the Polk CS20, with its 6-1/2" drivers and better power handling ability, was a nice jump from the CS10. And the CS20 will also be good for a proper timbre match for your tsi fronts. NEW CS20s can currently be found on eBay for $185 with FREE shipping and a WARRANTY!!
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited December 2012
    Options
    ^^yeahp,^^ lots of nice subs to choose from. Agreed Cs20 next.

Fyi psw505 discontinued. psw125 is the replacement. The 505 however has a larger amp and you can probably find them thru online retailers cheap.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Flintf
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Sure wish I knew more about this stuff. You guys are a lot of help to an old retired guy whose last real system included a reel to reel and duel cassette deck. Been looking around at your suggestions and just saw this at newegg. A psw505 with two polk new monitor 75t floor speakers for $639 and free shipping. That would be straining the wallet but might be a good upgrade. What do you think.