Dazed and Confused

drgalexo
drgalexo Posts: 159
edited December 2012 in Going Digital
I would like to copy all my cds to my computer. I ripped a couple of discs in window media player at what I think are the best settings. They downloaded as a wav file set at the best quality. When I open the individual songs, it says it is a wav file, bit rate of 1411kbps. Is this what I'm looking for, is this the best way or do I need to download some software etc? One cd downloaded very quickly the other really slowed down with the last two songs. I see others using FLAC files etc but the wav file is supposed to be bit perfect so which is better? Is the disc player in the computer adequate for ripping or is an external player required. Help! I looking for best of quality not to be compromised for storage space, within reason ofcourse. I have read some of the starter threads here, great info, but still confusing to me.
Post edited by drgalexo on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited November 2012
    DB power amp is probably the best going reasonably priced software to burn cds. Then download Jrivers to manage it all over Itunes if quality is your main concern. Obviously your on a Windows based PC so most would avoid Itunes when possible for best audio.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • drgalexo
    edited November 2012
    Thanks tonyb, is DB power amp is an online download, and will it give better results than wav file, or easier? Is the built in cd player in the computer sufficient to do the job?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited November 2012
    That all depends dude, but generally speaking it's ok. The files, as long as they are lossless, wav,flac, etc, should vary little in terms of sound quality. The bit perfect part comes in at burning and reading the file. Itunes has it's limits if your into hi-rez files like 24/96 or above. There's actually a good thread on it somewhere, I'll dig it up.

Best you get a read on too with dacs and how to get the best sound from digital music off the 'puter. Browse some threads, ask away if you don't understand something.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • michael1947
    michael1947 Posts: 775
    edited November 2012
    I just looked at that DB Poweramp and it sounds like good stuff, would it be better than the Media Monkey? My dog says I've spent too much money today so maybe it's nap time.
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • drgalexo
    edited November 2012
    Yea, I don't want anything to do with itunes and my computer files, I wasted alot of time with that already. If I just want to rip the cds to the computer, not burn a cd, will I still need DB Poweramp. It sounds like DB Poweramp, Jriver, and Windows media player all do the same thing.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited November 2012
    FLAC is a lossless compression format to save space. When the FLAC file is played on a music server it is uncompressed. At that point it is bit for bit identical with a WAV file, and the original file on a CD. The same thing applies to a file saved in Apple Lossless by iTunes software. This is the format I use.

Some say that FLAC/Apple Lossles files do not sound as good as a WAV file, but I have never done an A/B comparison. I do know that for me Apple Lossless sounds fantastic. However, my music server uncompresses the file into memory before it is played, versus uncompressing it as it is played.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • drgalexo
    edited December 2012
    Bought DBpoweramp, ripped some cds and have no idea where they are stored. Anyone know where they get downloaded to?
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    edited December 2012
    Look in the lower left hand corner of the rip window where it shows "Path".
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • drgalexo
    edited December 2012
    Thanks Jet, I think I beginning to see how it works, I thought it would be a little more automatic but gives you the options. Sends directly to windows media, now I see where the Jriver is supposed to help, but I will use wmplayer for now. I think the files can then be moved to a different player. I just want bit perfect files for now.