My pawn shop score!

Options
mopar paul
mopar paul Posts: 277
edited November 2012 in Vintage Speakers
So the other day I'm looking for an old record player to build a record cleaning machine. Hit the local pawn shops. My dad and I have been obsessed with pawn shops since I was 13 years old (now 40). We love the adventure of what may be found and he's my best friend so it's just fun to hang out.
Anyway, as I was roaming the aisles I almost had a heart attack. Now as you can see from my sig, I have 1.2TL's and some other decent stuff, but I'm a sucker for any old Polk's. I have some 2B's and JBL's etc in another room. SO to my surprise I saw these badboys and offered $250 for them. They are in super shape and sound great. When I get my music room done I will do some mods, but for now I let my dad borrow them-he's a music nut like me. They are running off and old Kenwood receiver and sound very good!
It goes to show these things are still out there-just have to dig all the time!
Attachment not found.
Post edited by mopar paul on

Comments

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Wow! Nice score! I use to hit the pawn shops all the time. I've bought many fairly high end guitars over the years that way for cheap money. But since eBay, CL and the like came along....them deals are harder to find since the pawnshop owners can look stuff up easier.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Score!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • Bugstyvy
    Bugstyvy Posts: 119
    edited November 2012
    Options
    jealous<<<<
    Mcintosh MC2300
    Mcintosh 2105
    Integra Pre amp 9.8
    Pro-ject Record Player
    Sony 200 disc CD Changer
    Basic Wiring
    60" Samsung Series 8
    SDA-1.2TL
    SDA-3.1TL (unused at the moment)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Ugh, this isn't AK.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo71
    edited November 2012
    Options
    ohhhh come on...he is happy about his sda's. "We" ain't all at the top of the Polk food chain like some here are. :razz:
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I was referring to the term, score.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo71
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Well at least he didn't say "scroe" right?
    --Gary--
  • mopar paul
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Or ****-didn't know there was a proper term to use. Please enlighten me....
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited November 2012
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    Well at least he didn't say "scroe" right?

Let me say it... it's a scroe for sure.
    Nice looking Polkies there. :cheesygrin:

I'd like to hear some of these Polks with more than two mid drivers sometimes.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Please enlighten me....

Anything but that one, thanks.

President of Club Polk

• jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I hope you got the interconnects as well... otherwise you are missing out some serious sound.
  • mopar paul
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Oh silly me, I guess I was going by that old book they call the Websters Dictionary that said:

Score; slang-success in obtaining something...I'll be sure to start using the Polk Forum Dictionary so as not to offend the highly educated and refined members of the group. Or actually you can just pxxs up a rope....

To those with something positive and constructive to say, yes I have the interconnect cable. The purpose of my post was to say they are out, just look everywhere.
  • Tekkis
    Tekkis Posts: 120
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Almost makes me wish we had pawn shops around here. I paid more than that for my SDA 2's when i got mine last year on craigslist. Those original 1's look to be in better shape cosmetically as well. Hope they get thoroughly enjoyed as intended.
    System Details:
    Marantz SR 5010, Rega RP1, Marantz CD 5004, Denon DRR-680, Carver M-4.0t
    Polk SDA 1C (modified), Definitive Technologies BP-10, Polk Audio CS400i
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Great score!
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • vulcan
    vulcan Posts: 86
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Congrats, they look to be in great shape too!
    SDA 1C (wood)- Vr3 crossovers/ Gimpod board's, Larry's rings, RDO194 tweeters, Dynamat. Updated terminal cup and binding posts. Custom IC by Vr3 with Neutrik connectors. SDA 2B(studio)- SonicCraft crossovers(TL mod), RD0-198 tweeters. Hurricane nuts, DynaMat and JB Weld.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I'll be sure to start using the Polk Forum Dictionary

That would be a good idea. Had you done so, you wouldn't have paid double what they are worth.

President of Club Polk

• mopar paul
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Really-I've already been offered twice that today. Surprises me someone like yourself even hangs put with us low-lives.

Now I remember why I don't post here much, and why future generations will never get involved in our hobby-too many audiosnobs....

I'm done with this post, you have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a s..t about your opinion (as well as turning a fun thread into your personal soapbox).
  • proffitt
    proffitt Posts: 157
    edited November 2012
    Options
    hey Paul,

I'm working on a score kinda like your score. I'm excited about mine like you are your's. Your set seems to be in much better shape than my pair. Some sweat equity and i hope to have mine running soon.

See my post titled "SDA SRS 2s needing CPR and ICU" or something like that. Found them for a steal but needed major mods. having fun bringing them back to life.

Enjoy your new Polks. And enjoy 90% of the great folks here on the forum that are here to hear your great news.... and offer you great advice. Ignore the other 10% and you'll be the one benefiting from the group. Don't miss out. Just ignore and enjoy. Or poke a little fun when you get flamed. It keeps it fun and lets you make fun of the a-hole responses, and stay here... intact.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Never mind, not worth it.

President of Club Polk

• DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited November 2012
    Options
    The good news is that some folks think it was a "score", so you should be able to unload them easily to one of those folks. I am a 4.1TL owner and have owned serveral other SDA's. I have been around long enough to know that this particular model is not very highly sought-after. Dust them off, and sell them.
  • drgalexo
    drgalexo Posts: 159
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I'd say you got a great deal there, they look like they are in excellent shape!
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited November 2012
    Options
    From the picture you did just fine on the deal.
    Now if you could flip them for some SDA 1C I think you might be happier but enjoy then and just keep a look out.
    DaveMuell wrote: »
    The good news is that some folks think it was a "score", so you should be able to unload them easily to one of those folks. I am a 4.1TL owner and have owned serveral other SDA's. I have been around long enough to know that this particular model is not very highly sought-after. Dust them off, and sell them.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Great score and they are highly sought after! Maybe not to some here, but they are. Yes, ignore the replies that seem condescending, but I have great respect for even the snobs here when it comes to knowledge on Polk stuff. There are some here (even some pros) that try to sell their goods for Retail to the unsuspecting, and will still say that what you have isn't worth much?? Go figure?? Yes, you could sell those for 500 easy. I wouldn't pay that much, but plenty of people would. I'd rather have those than the bigger ones or the 2B's because the size is nice. I think 43" high?? Anyway, congrats!!

BTW, I heard a pair of these in action and they sounded amazing with a cheap AVR pushing them!! Again, go figure.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited November 2012
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    That would be a good idea. Had you done so, you wouldn't have paid double what they are worth.

BRUTAL :eek:

That's a great deal if they're rare in your area! Nice one!
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    edited November 2012
    Options
    BRUTAL :eek:

That's a great deal if they're rare in your area! Nice one!
    s

Agree!! I'd snap that deal in a heartbeat.!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • OldmanSRS
    OldmanSRS Posts: 418
    edited November 2012
    Options
    There's a pair on Ebay right now asking for $500. Keep 'em or flip 'em for a few bucks margin after you're done playing with them. I bought CRS+ and monitor 10A's because I couldn't pass up a great deal on local CL. Still have them :)

Nicely done, Sir.
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub (Original OEM)
    '20 HSU VTF-3 Sub (three more, 100% cloned)
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (upgraded/restored)
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (a second one upgraded/restored)
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix, internal surround amp bridged to drive only a center channel
    '91 Kenwood Basic M1D Amp
    '89 Pioneer Laser Disc media
    '89 Sony SuperBeta HiFi media
    One PGA2310 based custom built remote volume control
    Four Polk T-15's
    Two Polk TSi-200's
    Two Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's

• Scimitar12
    Scimitar12 Posts: 10
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Very nice. I generally don't go to pawn shops or for that matter thrfit stores. I might have change my line of thinking...