Cartridge recommendation for Vintage Pioneer PL-570?

Options
dpgaloot
dpgaloot Posts: 26
edited December 2012 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi all,

I recently picked up a nice PL-570 and have been enjoying it. The cartridge, however, is due to be refreshed. It is currently running an old Grado MF1. Is it worth replacing to a newer cartridge, or would I be better off hunting for a replacement stylus? I'm just getting back into vinyl so I'm a bit of a noob to turntables.

Thanks!
--
dpgaloot

HT: Carver C-19, (2) Carver TFM-35 running as monoblocks, SRS 1.2tl
2 Channel Audio: VPI Aries I, McIntosh C2300, Carver Black Beauty tube amps, JBL L-220
Post edited by dpgaloot on

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,357
    edited November 2012
    Options
    A quick search at lpgear shows they only offer a Grado MF1 replacement stylus for $85. No aftermarket stylus is listed.

http://www.lpgear.com/product/GRASTYMF1PL.html

ebay shows an NOS for less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-tan-stylus-vintage-New-Old-Stock-fits-several-models-see-listing-/330833146342?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item4d073131e6

So, sometimes it might be best to replace the cartridge rather than go the stylus route.

Two questions, what is your budget and what phono pre amp/phono stage do you have? That determines whether you can use a low output MC (moving coil) cartridge or stay with higher output MM (moving magnet).
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited November 2012
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,090
    edited November 2012
    Options
    The above-mentioned Shure M97xe sounds good, is fairly inexpensive, tracks well and should be a pretty good match for this Pioneer.
    I am a long-time fan of the "Grado Sound" and would certainly consider a new stylus for the Grado as a perfectly reasonable option as well.
  • dpgaloot
    dpgaloot Posts: 26
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Thanks to all for their replies!

Racer, I've added the lpgear site to my bookmarks, it looks to be a good one. My budget is not unlimited, I'd like to keep it under $3-400 but could stretch that a bit if the old Pioneer would justify it. I'm currently running the PL-570 through a Pioneer SX-1280. The receiver has an adjustment for "Phono Cartridge Load" labeled 100-400, honestly I can't hear much difference wherever it is set. Unless I get sent in another direction, replacing the stylus is likely my first choice.

gdb and mrh, I already own one of those Shure cartridges. My other turntable is an old Fisher Studio Standard I picked up locally for $50. I ordered and installed the Shure cartridge and it sounds good, but the Pioneer sounds better with the old Grado. Granted I know diddly about setting up turntables, when I installed the Shure I just spent a little time on youtube and went for it. I just got a video I ordered on the topic from a Michael Fremer and am hoping to learn more from that. Maybe once I learn a bit about installing and adjusting cartridges I'll try the Shure on the Pioneer.

Thanks again to all for the input.
    --
    dpgaloot

HT: Carver C-19, (2) Carver TFM-35 running as monoblocks, SRS 1.2tl
    2 Channel Audio: VPI Aries I, McIntosh C2300, Carver Black Beauty tube amps, JBL L-220
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,090
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I like the Grado sound - very lush. Probably no surprise that my next step along from decades of Grado use was a Denon DL-103 :-)
    The Shure is good but a little clinical; a little bland.
    Bland, to me, is better than ear-gougingly bright... I won't mention any names, but a couple of (still) popular brands ahem tend towards the bright.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Denon 160 is a good'un....... if you can find one
  • ErasmusBDragon
    ErasmusBDragon Posts: 113
    edited December 2012
    Options
    What is your budget?