SDA-1.2TL
    SDA-3.1TL (unused at the moment)
  • nikonik
    nikonik Posts: 120
    edited November 2012
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    Those are simply beautiful.
    I hope your garage is climate controlled!
    Of course mine are in the house.
    My wife takes little trips that's when I play them louder.
    But she loves them, they are in the main room, we enjoy the same music and collecting vinyl.
    Well, you convinced me to move them into the house. They look fantastic next to the TV but with my little 5&8 yr olds throwing toys at times, I decided to move them to the museum. A room that hardly get used. They look great there too. Im working on trying to set them up to use but she not too thrilled. For now, Im using the M10s in the garage.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Yea they will be much safer in the house in a separate room off from the kids, the study or the music room :razz:
    Does she like music? If so, find out what she likes and play that on them. Barbra Streisand helped me.:lol:
    nikonik wrote: »
    Well, you convinced me to move them into the house. They look fantastic next to the TV but with my little 5&8 yr olds throwing toys at times, I decided to move them to the museum. A room that hardly get used. They look great there too. Im working on trying to set them up to use but she not too thrilled. For now, Im using the M10s in the garage.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited November 2012
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    Yea they will be much safer in the house in a separate room off from the kids, the study or the music room :razz:
    Does she like music? If so, find out what she likes and play that on them. Barbra Streisand helped me.:lol:

+1 me and mine love music and I make a point of playing stuff she likes. The funny thing is my 2.3TL's replaced some Def Tech towers that have a smaller foot print and narrower front baffle. These are really pretty massive and yet she likes the look better. :cool:
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited November 2012
    Options
    nikonik wrote: »
    They look fantastic next to the TV but with my little 5&8 yr olds throwing toys at times, I decided to move them to the museum. A room that hardly get used.
    Put them where you WANT them, and teach the kids to behave. They are NOT TOO YOUNG to have limits set.
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Hey Nik,I'm glad you got them in the house,like others have said play the music the wife likes.Once she hears her music on them you can put them anywhere you want.
    Dan
  • nikonik
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    Put them where you WANT them, and teach the kids to behave. They are NOT TOO YOUNG to have limits set.
    The museum is really the formal living room. They are not allowed in there. I made exceptions for them in the tv room and still have to manage at times. Thanks for input and I think they fit better in there since its is a big room.
  • nikonik
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Oldfatdogs wrote: »
    Hey Nik,I'm glad you got them in the house,like others have said play the music the wife likes.Once she hears her music on them you can put them anywhere you want.
    Dan
    She said I could set them up where I wanted. Thats a start but not to bring more into that room. I explained that if I set them up, Id have to bring the pre amp and amp into the house. I have to do it and let her see how it looks and play Kieth Urban for her! She loves him and my little girl calls him mama's boyfriend. Once I set it up, I'll be able to listen to them with the sda effect. I havent been able to do so w all the stuff in the garage. I do miss listening to them already.
  • nikonik
    edited November 2012
    Options
    stubby wrote: »
    Silly question time. I have owned a fair number of SRS series speakers but I have never seen the type of Signature plate yours have. Yours looks like it is smooth (flat), every other one I have seen has raised sections for the script and a small pebble finish everywhere else. Any one else have smoothies?
    BTW, beautiful speakers!!

stubby
    I wish I could comment on this but I have no clue as this is my first set. Ill let one of the big dogs tell us what they know. Btw, I have to comment often if Im too get to 100 and be able to see for sale ads. LOL! That's gonna take a while
  • qwertycus
    qwertycus Posts: 15
    edited November 2012
    Options
    stubby wrote: »
    Silly question time. I have owned a fair number of SRS series speakers but I have never seen the type of Signature plate yours have. Yours looks like it is smooth (flat), every other one I have seen has raised sections for the script and a small pebble finish everywhere else. Any one else have smoothies?
    BTW, beautiful speakers!!

stubby

My SRS-2 blade/blade model have this flat style badge
  • stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited November 2012
    Options
    qwertycus wrote: »
    My SRS-2 blade/blade model have this flat style badge
    Thank you sir! Now I can sleep at night. :cheesygrin:
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• drgalexo
    drgalexo Posts: 159
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Ditto, SRS 2 B/B has flat badge
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »

Absolutely! My sister came to visit this Thanksgiving with my four year old nephew. My wife handed him a metal VW bug that is sort of a toy with working wheels and sort of a cool piece of art. It's not valuable or a treasure, but is kind of cool. My nephew started to shove it with all his might off the steps making it crash loudly, over and over. My sister just watched, and then after a while asked my wife it was something that is valued to which my wife said, "well, sort of". My sister got mad and wondered aloud why she handed him something he shouldn't destroy, to which my wife said, "It's not treasured by us, but I was hoping to use the opportunity to show him how he can play with something but also treat it as if it were something that we treasure, and to treat it with some level of respect."
    My sister is letting the kid do anything he wants. My brother in law is going nuts over the lack of discipline and the constant undermining of the discipline he does get. When my wife and I have him, he behaves perfectly as we simply set simple rules for him to not cross, and then he gets to pretty much do anything he wants within reason. We don't allow him to play us for fools.

my srs2 has the raised signature, it's blade/blade
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • nikonik
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Once again, I have moved them to the main tv room. I have spoken with my little ones and I hope all goes well. I do need some help with the SDA. The speakers are about 10-12 feet apart but I cant notice the SDA effect. If I do, it is very minimal. I read a post where it is similar to Carver's Hologram effect. I have a CT 17 and can achieve better hologram effect with it than with the SDA cable. Can I get some input from the experts? Speakers are pointed straight and not toed in so Im going to have to research more on this until I here from a few members what could be wrong. Also, I still cant find a hex wrench to open them up and see what has been done to them. That's next somethime within the week. Thanks and let me know.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited November 2012
    Options
    10' to 12' apart is a bit far, 6' to 8' is generally ideal. How far away do you sit? Did you check that the left speaker is on the left, right on the right as you look at them from your seat? Other possible issues include an SDA cable that doesn't work and/or blade/blade socket(s) that are shot.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited November 2012
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    10' to 12' apart is a bit far, 6' to 8' is generally ideal. How far away do you sit? Did you check that the left speaker is on the left, right on the right as you look at them from your seat? Other possible issues include an SDA cable that doesn't work and/or blade/blade socket(s) that are shot.
    And the ever-popular "incorrect phase" due to attaching the speaker cables to the wrong posts either at the speaker cabinets, or at the amplifier. I've heard of SRS speakers apparently wired wrong at the factory, the + and - terminals reversed. Seems to me that was on the 1.2 versions, however.

Do I remember this correctly? If ONE speaker is wired in reverse polarity (phase) the bass goes away, but the SDA effect is still present, maybe even exaggerated. If BOTH speakers are wired in reverse polarity, the bass is acceptable, but the SDA signal is eliminated? Perhaps what I've described varies with the model (and therefore the internal wiring design) of SDA speaker?
  • PolkieMan
    edited November 2012
    Options
    They need to be 3 feet from side walls 8" from back wall and you can't have a tall stand next to either one of them inside or outside it too acts like a wall. You should be able to hear a difference in sound when standing next to them and plugging / unplugging the interconnect cable.
    F1nut wrote: »
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited November 2012
    Options
    They need to be 3 feet from side walls 8" from back wall

Allow me to re-word that slightly. Ideally, they should be at least 3 feet from any side wall, but can be more. The distance to the back wall will vary, generally start at 5" and work out. Half an inch can make or break it. What you're trying to do is dial in the bass. Too close to the back wall and it will be boomy, too far away and the bass drops off.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nikonik
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I measured really quick this morning and they are 10 feet apart. I can barely notice a difference when I unplug the sda cable in the back. Sounds like a waltz dance. LoL! I have some work to do and read part of the sda trouble shooting guide. Lots of variables. I play more w them tonight.
  • PolkieMan
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Yes 3 feet or more, the closest one, my left speaker is 6 feet.
    If the room is a rectangle then they should be along a one of the longer walls.
  • drgalexo
    drgalexo Posts: 159
    edited November 2012
    Options
    If your speakers are 10 feet apart, you must sit at least 10 feet away to hear them properly.