Straight Wire Chorus...Review

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited November 2003 in Electronics
They say it's best to eat crow while it's still warm:

I jumped the gun on this review. After extended listening last night, with a wide variety of music, I've decided to return the Chorus.

Shame on me, sometimes when audio sounds different, we take it to mean better. I realized this after seriously listening. It could just be a matter of personal preference, but I just don't like the sound of multi-stranded IC's. The music just comes off as unorganzied and compressed. The Sidewinders gave much better organization and clarity, especially in the high frequencies. I did like the mid-range of the Chorus, as Sidewinders tend to be a little lean in this area---but what really surprised me was the fact that the bass was better with the Sidewinder; usually multi-strand configurations have a fuller bass.

Soooooo....I've gotten an RMA to return the Chorus and ordered the Audioquest Copperhead, a step-up from the Sidewinder.

My apologies for jumping the gun.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2