Ok, DVD VS CD, I need Answers!

Options
DanielCSCS
DanielCSCS Posts: 29
edited November 2003 in Electronics
Gentlemen, can some one help me understand the grotesque disparity in volume positions between cd's and dvds?

Why can I play the LOTR Sound Track on my AVR 7200 at VOL -40 and be content with the sound, but the second I switch to the dvd I have to raise that sucker to -20 to get the same SPL!!

As Timon would say, WHATS GOIN ON HEA!!

Thanks fellas :)
Display: Sony 32" KV-32HS510
Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR 7200
DVD: Sony DVP-NC665P
Sub: HSU VTF-2
Front: Rt55 /w Monster Z1
Center: CS400i /w Monster Z1
Rear: RTi28 /w Monster THX
Post edited by DanielCSCS on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited November 2003
    Options
    It's just the nature of the beast--there's nothing wrong with your equipment. My guess is that DVD's are recorded at lower levels to allow for the higher dynamic range associated with the format.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • DanielCSCS
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Thank you sir for you reply. However, does anyone have a technical reason to offer?
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited November 2003
    Options
    DVD's are recorded at lower levels to allow for the higher dynamic range associated with the format.

seems technical enough to me... but maybe you mean a more definitive answer (as opposed to a guess)
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Technical no - but Dolby Digital is night and day with analog. When DVD players first came out and I bought a Digital reciever I was blown away. I was into hometheater back in the VHS Pro-Logic days and it was a entirly new BEAST (revolutionary). DD is so much cleaner and effortless. That is why Hometheaters in a box sound so good.
    You would never get that with VHS. Not even close.
    On a side note I can always easily toggel between analog and digtial on my dvd player and analog sounds way better than Digital on a CD. And cd's are considered digital........
    Daniel try out the DD mixes on a couple DVDA's out there especally Linkin Park Reanimation and it will blow you away.
    For now you will just have to crank them CD's UP!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I don't know how to copy a post but if you look in the 6th ave order thread I started Howie777 gave that very explanation for me and did a good job to.

Hope that helps

Dave
  • DanielCSCS
    edited November 2003
    Options
    WOW, Dave thanks for pointing me in the right direction. What are the odds that the precise answer to my question existed on that particular thread. Thanks bro
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Sum it up for us!!!!!!;)
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    Sum it up for us!!!!!!;)

in short...
    DVD's are recorded at lower levels to allow for the higher dynamic range associated with the format.
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2003
    Options
    DVD's are recorded at lower levels making then louder than a CD.
    I don't know if I going to sleep any better tonight.:eek:
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Lower recording levels allow for higher dynamic peak passages without running into clipping distortion, hence the majority of the program material sounds "quieter" but peaks hit much higher maximum levels.

This is actually a good thing, as it requires you to position your volume knob higher--where SN Ratio is best, resulting in less overall background noise.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I read this last night and it confused me a bit which I would agree is not very difficult. Is it possible.... that your h/k may be_would be_could be set to night mode by chance?

-40 to -20 is huge and I never had that much swing between dvd's and cd's. Granted I only have an h/k 520 but that swing is HUGE...

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***