Lookie what I got -- RTA-12C

Options
2»

Comments

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I used mine for years with a Carver Receiver, the original at 130 wpc, and they sounded really nice. Recently I had them connected for a while (for burn in purposes) to a new dual mono with massive current delivery and probably around 250 wpc. They sounded amazing.

Use as much power as you can.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • laotzu61
    laotzu61 Posts: 327
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I love the 12C's. I like a healthy toe-in on them. Angle them right at the sweet spot and they image like crazy... one way in which they beat SDA's. Congrats!

i have a question. i have a pair of 12B's i'm still playing with. how do i know if thet're angled right as far as imaging goes? (still learning here) btw, i picked up an onkyo m-504 in mint condition from an electronic tech to drive these puppy's now. thanks.
    "The symbol is not the reality"
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Play around with the positioning. I find that when they're right they throw a great soundstage, wide and with depth front to back. They also produce strong center imaging.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited October 2012
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    Very nice If you got those for $200 your did quite well. Watts as you know has to do with volume. High current is important too. 120 wpc with good current should be fine at normal listening levels, 80db.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/frequently-asked-questions/relationship-between-watts-and-dbs

That I did. :)
    drumminman wrote: »
    I used mine for years with a Carver Receiver, the original at 130 wpc, and they sounded really nice. Recently I had them connected for a while (for burn in purposes) to a new dual mono with massive current delivery and probably around 250 wpc. They sounded amazing.

Use as much power as you can.
    Well for now I'll use the M-50 and keep watching for high power amps to come along.
    Thanks.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • Mystery
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Has one issue or may be not...

Was playing songs this morning and sounded very good and clean.
    Since their spec mention 17hz, I played 20 hz test tone and noticed the right speaker rattling even at medium volume.
    The sound was similar to unglued surround slapping on the basket.
    trr...trr..trrr..trr...

I increased volume and the left one also started.
    Then I tried 30 hz test tone and it needed little more volume but the right speaker started again.
    Left one took a higher volume to rattle at 30 hz.

So I took the grill off of the right one and watched what it is doing while rattling.
    Everything looked okay. PR was vibrating like crazy due to low frequency tone but didn't see anything obvious that could cause this.
    I think it is PR and not the mids causing this.
    They sound solid without rattle while listening to songs even at high volume but I bet those songs never send that much low frequency as when testing.

When I refoamed JBL before, 30 hz tone would move a lot of air but never rattle.

I'm certain these can handle even 20 hz signal so 30 hz signal should be no problem for them.
    So what could be the issue? :confused:

• bsoko2
    bsoko2 Posts: 1,449
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I had a set of those in my living room for a couple of years and gave them away to a Polkie living up in Seattle. He was happy to get them and I was happy to do it for him. Yes, I did try to sell them and got down to $100 and had no takers and that is when I decided to give them away to a local Polkie.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Could it be some of the dampening stuff (if there is any) come loose in the actual speaker itself? Have you looked inside to make sure something isnt loose to vibrate?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mystery
    edited November 2012
    Options
    bsoko2 wrote: »
    I had a set of those in my living room for a couple of years and gave them away to a Polkie living up in Seattle. He was happy to get them and I was happy to do it for him. Yes, I did try to sell them and got down to $100 and had no takers and that is when I decided to give them away to a local Polkie.

No takers at a hundred for these?
    :eek:
    Could it be some of the dampening stuff (if there is any) come loose in the actual speaker itself? Have you looked inside to make sure something isnt loose to vibrate?

Haven't opened them yet.
    I'll open and see if I can find anything that can cause this, hopefully, this weekend.
    I don't think anything is broken and hanging loose as it doesn't rattle when playing music even with some bass heavy songs.
    Low frequency test tone is moving them a lot more than playing music.
    I think the surround glue has come undone in PR from inside and slapping the basket but could be wrong.
    When I checked from outside the surrounds are sealed and look attached all the way around. :mad:

• lcrakel87
    lcrakel87 Posts: 8
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Those look very nice. I was looking at a pair of these today at a flea market for $300. Price was a little high but even if they were free, I couldn't have taken them home with me. Currently out of the state for work.
  • Mystery
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Update:
    Didn't open them yet but did a listening session in loud volume with action movies and bass heavy songs.
    No rattle nothing from the speakers even though the floor was shaking.
    Sounds great so I'll leave them alone.