Polk, dammit, why are my...

sntnsupermen131
sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
edited November 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
subs hitting the grilles?
i am on pair number 3 of subs(6 subs for you non-mathematicians)
i sent my original pair of mm120s back b/c the spyder cracked on both
i sent my last pair of mm12s cuz the subs were hitting the grilles
when will the madness stop?
im not sending them back this time
f*** that, im taking off the grilles and sanding them down
i dont even want to do that b/c ive had to screw these things in so many times the wood is starting to wear out where the screws are
ok im done...
-Cody
Post edited by sntnsupermen131 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2003
    1/8th inch nylon spacers.

they are often used for "standoffs" for computer motherboards, but your local Value, Home Depot, or Lowes should have them for like 15 cents each... they're like a sleeve that's 1/8th inch long and goes over the screw... they're thin enough you can put them on the screw between the grille and woofer and u should be ok.

they're prolly just hitting the grilles cuz u're putty almsot 600 watts each to them... the polkies probably didn't take into account maximum excursion when designing the grilles.

a lotta grilles are like that -- just be glad the subs kick ****... figure out the grilles as best u can but dont let it get to you.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited November 2003
    eh...was thinking about some type of spacers but didnt know where to start looking...shouldve known someone on the polk forum would know...
    we have all types of experts on this site...lol
    i was mad at first...but now im ok
    its just that i barely cranked it up today
    damn break-in period
    but anyways
    i juiced the gains all the way up(theyre back down...i just wanted to see how loud itd be)
    turned on to a hip hop station on XM radio and i could hear distortion...but in fact it was the subs hitting the grilles
    so i was mad b/c i couldnt adjust it to its full potential...
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2003
    I know this is blasphemous but I switched to the cast aluminum Kicker grille after my girl's MOMO grille broke. I have not had a problem with either her DX10, her new MOMO or my dB10 hitting those grilles.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!